GDT: #71 | Blue Jackets at FLYERS | Thu., Mar. 15, 2018, 7:00 pm ET | NBCSP, FS-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I think in addition to the fear he seems to display, there is just such a dullness, such a backwards quality to his decisions (I mainly mean in throwing out these veterans as some sort of crap umbrella, regardless of how bad they are, at crucial points of the game), such a lack of modern, progressive thinking. I think most coaches suffer from this, and he does have limited choices in who to play because our roster is incomplete, but I'm not just going to sit here and accept his stupidity because other guys do it too, you know what I mean? It's probably because I don't smoke pot, but I don't like to just sit back and shrug my shoulders when something is wrong - I like to rage. It feels better.

First off, if you watch hockey while high, you see a hell of a lot more in depth. Pretty sure that's how Magua can process all the shit he does about prospects.

But overall, yes, I know exactly what you mean. I hate his deployment of the current roster, there are so many things I dislike about it, and I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole. But, on the other side he does things every once in a while that make you think, he might just change his mind when he has a better roster. I don't know for sure he will, and that is my fear.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
On February 1st they were 5th in points in the entire league. Less than a month and a half later, they're not even in a playoff spot.

Definitely a bigger collapse.

Much harder competition and collapsed on a longer timeframe. Flyers collapse would be larger.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I read what the Hive says, "Hakstol sucks and the miracle coach could turn a bunch of turds into diamonds."

See, that's what I mean - that's not what anyone thinks. I know that because I am plugged into the Hive the way you are plugged into Hextall (not that there's anything wrong with that). But y'all know this already and nothing I can say can slow you down, much less stop y'all.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The Blues collapse has been gradual over months. Like a boulder rolling down a hill.

The Blues' collapse is the second-most hilarious headlong ass-over-teakettle downhill tumble. This is the first:

giphy.gif

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I don't care what people say, this Flyer team has a lot of talent and a lot of options to bring in players. They will probably make the playoffs because this IS a playoff caliber team. In the off-season Hextall better open up the checkbook to the best coach available and let him put in the amount.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The Blues collapse has been gradual over months. Like a boulder rolling down a hill.

The Flyers collapse would be all at once. Like a boulder fall off of a building (and hopefully landing on Hak)
They started off WAY higher and have fallen much further than the Flyers have.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
See, that's what I mean - that's not what anyone thinks. I know that because I am plugged into the Hive the way you are plugged into Hextall (not that there's anything wrong with that). But y'all know this already and nothing I can say can slow you down, much less stop y'all.
I thought hextall plugged him. Don’t see dead as a pitcher

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I read what the Hive says, "Hakstol sucks and the miracle coach could turn a bunch of turds into diamonds."
It's the same thing, win or lose.
This is a mediocre team, we knew that in September, we know that now, and bad goal tending has simply exposed the obvious.
Mediocre isn't bad, it's middle of the pack, which is what the Flyers have been.
They've just been a bit dramatic about how they got there this season.

Which is why I don't take the Hive seriously, it's just a bunch of ranting fanboys frustrated because they know the real problem isn't the coach, but the roster, and that can't be fixed by firing the coach, but by patiently waiting a couple more seasons for reinforcements to arrive.
But most younger Americans have been taught that instant gratification should be expected in the age of entitlement.

But us old fogies know that "instant karma's gonna get you."
Clearly untrue.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Does it matter? We found a way to lose to a Bruins team missing Bergeron, Backes, and McAvoy.
Seriously. But jones has been playing really well of late so that’s likely more significant than mcavoy at least. Flyers better game plan for bob just once in haks history. Scout a team for once!

Reactions: Rebels57

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Just to be clear, when Hak was “resting the veterans” late in the 3rd with a couple minutes to go that didn’t mean Lehtera and Manning. It meant our 6v5 unit. Let’s not get carried away. He wanted Giroux and Co. rested.

But he only tilts aggressive when he is absolutely desperate. We are talking minutes to go. And usually it’s too late. He never shortens a bench for the bad scoring players when down for an entire period like he does for the talent when up a mere 1 goal; he always has his mediocre veteran crutches; and the team oh so clearly statistically drops off the face of the map when tied or up 1. His conservatism is his fatal flaw. I’d be more hopeful of it being corrected if he didn’t have a pattern of this well before he got here too.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just to be clear, when Hak was “resting the veterans” late in the 3rd with a couple minutes to go that didn’t mean Lehtera and Manning. It meant our 6v5 unit. Let’s not get carried away. He wanted Giroux and Co. rested.

But he only tilts aggressive when he is absolutely desperate. We are talking minutes to go. And usually it’s too late. He never shortens a bench for the bad scoring players when down for an entire period like he does for the talent when up a mere 1 goal; he always has his mediocre veteran crutches; and the team oh so clearly statistically drops off the face of the map when tied or up 1. His conservatism is his fatal flaw. I’d be more hopeful of it being corrected if he didn’t have a pattern of this well before he got here too.

He's playing Giroux and Couts over 20 minutes a night, now who else do you "shorten" the bench for?
Same with Ghost and Provorov.
Those are the only four elite or near elite players on this team.
Konecny and Voracek flash at times, but are inconsistent.

The rest of the roster, meh.
Patrick and Lindblom will be very good, maybe as soon as next year, but Patrick lacks strength and stamina and Lindblom is still adjusting to NHL speed.
Sanheim is still a work in progress.
And the others, you are kidding, right?

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is a mediocre team, we knew that in September, we know that now, and bad goal tending has simply exposed the obvious.
Mediocre isn't bad, it's middle of the pack, which is what the Flyers have been.

Which is why I don't take the Hive seriously, it's just a bunch of ranting fanboys frustrated because they know the real problem isn't the coach, but the roster, and that can't be fixed by firing the coach, but by patiently waiting a couple more seasons for reinforcements to arrive.
But most younger Americans have been taught that instant gratification should be expected in the age of entitlement.

1ocgwb.jpg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

So you are saying Hak is a good coach?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, I'm saying the coach doesn't matter right now.
We saw Lavi, generally consider a good coach, fail miserably when the talent level dropped off.

Right now this isn't a good team, there are a few very good players, a few talented prospects who may become good players in a year or two, and a lot of scrubs.
Most mediocre teams have a few good players, the top teams not only have top players, they generally have solid depth up and down the lineup.

It takes a few years to develop prospects, some faster than others, but force feeding them isn't going to accelerate the process.
So we not only have to wait for the current prospects (Patrick, Lindblom, Sanheim) to mature, but for the arrival of the next wave, and to work through their growing pains. Every year from now on, both talent depth and talent quality (as the kids mature as players) should improve.

Which is why I just don't care, a lot of coaches out there would be far worse, since many "winning" coaches lack the patience to work with kids and gradually work them into the lineup, and would pressure Hextall to trade them for "reliable" veterans.

There are only two "aging" veterans on this team, Giroux (30) and Voracek (28).
Simmonds is not a key player, and Filppula, Raffl, MacDonald, Lehtera, Weise are not in anyone's long-term plans.
So there is no urgency to win now.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
No, I'm saying the coach doesn't matter right now.
We saw Lavi, generally consider a good coach, fail miserably when the talent level dropped off.

Right now this isn't a good team, there are a few very good players, a few talented prospects who may become good players in a year or two, and a lot of scrubs.
Most mediocre teams have a few good players, the top teams not only have top players, they generally have solid depth up and down the lineup.

It takes a few years to develop prospects, some faster than others, but force feeding them isn't going to accelerate the process.
So we not only have to wait for the current prospects (Patrick, Lindblom, Sanheim) to mature, but for the arrival of the next wave, and to work through their growing pains. Every year from now on, both talent depth and talent quality (as the kids mature as players) should improve.

Which is why I just don't care, a lot of coaches out there would be far worse, since many "winning" coaches lack the patience to work with kids and gradually work them into the lineup, and would pressure Hextall to trade them for "reliable" veterans.

There are only two "aging" veterans on this team, Giroux (30) and Voracek (28).
Simmonds is not a key player, and Filppula, Raffl, MacDonald, Lehtera, Weise are not in anyone's long-term plans.
So there is no urgency to win now.

So youre saying he's a bad coach?

Also, if there was no urgency to win now - why wouldnt we have just kept Sanheim up? werent you arguing the other day the team is getting results, and that the team has a better chance of winning with manning et all in the line up over him?

Im confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad