GDT: #71 | Blue Jackets at FLYERS | Thu., Mar. 15, 2018, 7:00 pm ET | NBCSP, FS-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Exactamundo. They should have at least gotten points in the Boston and Vegas games. Those 2 points could end up being the difference between missing and making. Having to go 3-7-2 or 4-8 would be a lot more doable.

I wouldn't even care if they had dropped the points, had Jeff gotten out of his own way and given them the best chance to win. **** happens sometimes, and I could deal with that, especially this season when we are at least two seasons early for our realistic window opening (I know we disagree on this point, but I think we're not going anywhere yet). But it's ****ing irritating when he throws Flip and Manpig and other detritus out there for us to trip over. I know this isn't breaking news or whatever, but what the hell else are we going to talk about lolz.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If 91 points is still the cut-off, we need to go 4-6-2 or 5-7 to get into the Playoffs. I'm not feeling overly confident in either of those scenarios. I'd say we are really about 50/50 to get in, which is just insane after being in 1st in the Division so recently. Just an epic collapse to miss at this point.
I think it’s doable. Hak gets exposed more against good teams and we have literally played the best of the best here. With a good coach we are looking at winning almost all of them too. You can’t look at things after a long losing stretch or winning stretch. They should be able to win 4 more games before the end of the year at least. Rangers a few times. The wings isles and canes. Plus stars pens avs and caps. If we finished 2, 3, WC 2 we lose in the first round. If we finish WC 1 we have a shot. I’m hoping for that finish while winning that last three games or so of the reg season.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
You know the answer. There is zero possibility Haktard will put 5 young players on the ice at the same time.

In the last two minutes of the game, when we needed a goal, Hak did put out Sanheim, Provy, TK, Patrick and Lindblom.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Overacheiving teams rarely continue to overachieve over an extended period.
This team just isn't that talented right now, guys like Lindblom and Sanheim are feeling their way, our bottom two lines suck, Gudas has really regressed into a 3rd pair defenseman.
Couts has worn down from overuse, while Konecny has come back to earth (that PPG stretch was a Schenn special).
Players tend to regress to their "norm," Couts is a 40-50 ES point guy, not a PPG guy, Konecny will settle in as a 30-30 guy.
Patrick will be great, but not this year, and his minutes should be limited, he's not in shape to carry a big load. Don't want to injure him in a futile run.
Which would be OK if the bottom six could do anything.

But the biggest problem is we've gone from mediocre goalie play with Elliott to bottom ten with Mrazek.
Waste of a 3rd rd pick, Lyon could lose games just as handedly.
Mrazek shows flashes, but his fundamentals suck, he gets himself out of position and really struggles with rebound control.

This is why y'all panic, but Hextall just sits in the press box and sighs, he could have mortgaged the future at the trade deadline and brought in a center (but an upgrade would have probably cost at least a 1st rd pick), but with these goalies, why bother?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think it’s doable. Hak gets exposed more against good teams and we have literally played the best of the best here. With a good coach we are looking at winning almost all of them too. You can’t look at things after a long losing stretch or winning stretch. They should be able to win 4 more games before the end of the year at least. Rangers a few times. The wings isles and canes. Plus stars pens avs and caps. If we finished 2, 3, WC 2 we lose in the first round. If we finish WC 1 we have a shot. I’m hoping for that finish while winning that last three games or so of the reg season.

Pens can still win the Division, which leaves us playing them if we finish in WC1.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In the last two minutes of the game, when we needed a goal, Hak did put out Sanheim, Provy, TK, Patrick and Lindblom.

Yeah because the shift just prior, MacDonald-Gudas-Raffl-Filppula-Simmonds gave up the go-ahead goal. He had no choice to come with Line 2 followed by Line 1 to finish out the game at that point.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Hak did that because, and I quote Jim Jackson, "He wanted to get the veterans some rest for the last couple minutes to make a push."

This is an actual quote spoken at the time that those players were on the ice together.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
You're not allowed to post facts that interfere with the hive whine.
I still think he sucks a coach, but things like that (playing young-offensively gifted players with under 2 mins left) make me believe he does have at leas an inkling of an attacking side to him. I do think, as Poulin has mentioned when we talked earlier, he coaches a bit afraid. Unlike Poulin, I think it has a lot to do with his evaluation of the current roster.

I do think his evaluation of the roster is flawed, tho.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If this game is a loss, we are staring at a very real chance of missing the playoffs, which would be one of the more famous collapses in NHL history. If anyone can do it, it's Hakstol.

He already has some distinct records, such as:

Only team to win 10 in a row and miss the Playoffs
Fewest goals scored in first 20 games in Flyers history

Dude... it wouldn't even be the biggest collapse this season...

Remember these guys?
:blues

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We only needed a goal because before that he double shifted MacDonald.

So no, he isn't getting credit for this one time line combo. Especially when he came out and said he put them out to rest the vets so they could go out and tie the game.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Yeah because the shift just prior, MacDonald-Gudas-Raffl-Filppula-Simmonds gave up the go-ahead goal. He had no choice to come with Line 2 followed by Line 1 to finish out the game at that point.

Hak did that because, and I quote Jim Jackson, "He wanted to get the veterans some rest for the last couple minutes to make a push."

This is an actual quote spoken at the time that those players were on the ice together.

I'm not defending him, I don't like him as a coach, but the fact does remain he put out those players with 2mins left. It doesn't mean anything other than that.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is why y'all panic, but Hextall just sits in the press box and sighs, he could have mortgaged the future at the trade deadline and brought in a center (but an upgrade would have probably cost at least a 1st rd pick), but with these goalies, why bother?

I think y'all could benefit greatly from reading what we'all are actually writing on here, y'all. Because you misrepresent what we think and what we say every single day. Your own thoughts and opinions are ... well, I don't even know what to call them, but they are your own and only you (literally ONLY you) know what you are thinking and why y'all are thinking that ... and I do understand that you have a special telepathic relationship with Hextall so you know exactly what he is thinking ... but I think y'all need to pay attention to what the Hive actually says. Unless you are just being a smart-ass, which is fine, since we give it to y'all all the time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
His evaluation of the current roster is correct, it's either inexperienced prospects who are not elite players (even Konecny isn't elite at this point) or mediocre veterans.
The only two "reliable" forwards are Giroux and Couts, and they've been overworked.
Voracek is an adventure, Simmonds is meh 5x5 and the rest . . .
Same on defense, you have Provorov, Ghost and . . .

Patrick is going to be special, probably starting NEXT year, but right now he's simply not physically ready to carry the load in the NHL.
Lindblom is snakebit, but he's also adjusting to the faster pace, when things start to slow down I expect him to have one of those "raise your eyebrows" scoring streaks.
Sanheim has talent, but needs to be babied right now, he's not "Cool Hand Luke" out there. Give him a couple years of experience and some hard work in the weight room and he could become a top flight D-man down the road, but he's not there right now.
Konecny plays like a younger version of Voracek right now, hopefully he'll outgrow the mistakes and continue to develop the scoring touch.

This team wasn't as bad as the ten game losing streak, as good as the two months of winning, nor as bad as they look right now.
They're a mediocre team with promise, with below par goal tending which is dragging them down.
Imagine Columbus with Mrazek instead of Bob, wouldn't that be a clusterf---k?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I still think he sucks a coach, but things like that (playing young-offensively gifted players with under 2 mins left) make me believe he does have at leas an inkling of an attacking side to him. I do think, as Poulin has mentioned when we talked earlier, he coaches a bit afraid. Unlike Poulin, I think it has a lot to do with his evaluation of the current roster.

I do think his evaluation of the roster is flawed, tho.

Do you mean me? Yeah, I think he is a ****ing coward full stop, and I think it stems from his own limitations as an athlete, combined with the fact that he was mired in a green quintessence of NCAA conservatism for 10 years which exacerbated his own cowardly and conservative tendencies. If not that, then the step up to the professional ranks has scared him so badly that he has retreated within his shell so as to limit the damage he takes from the teams led by 30 other grown men who belong in the NHL as coaches exponentially more than he does. Which is pretty damning, when you consider one of those guys is famous stand-up comedian and Papa Roach roadie Mike Yeo, yo.

Short story long: he stinks.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If both miss the playoffs by 1 point, I'd say they are fairly equal collapses.

On February 1st they were 5th in points in the entire league. Less than a month and a half later, they're not even in a playoff spot.

Definitely a bigger collapse.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yeah, I did mean you @Captain Dave Poulin. We talked about him in the poll thread of should hak be fired. I think you're right, I think there are elements of his coaching style that show fear.

I think in addition to the fear he seems to display, there is just such a dullness, such a backwards quality to his decisions (I mainly mean in throwing out these veterans as some sort of crap umbrella, regardless of how bad they are, at crucial points of the game), such a lack of modern, progressive thinking. I think most coaches suffer from this, and he does have limited choices in who to play because our roster is incomplete, but I'm not just going to sit here and accept his stupidity because other guys do it too, you know what I mean? It's probably because I don't smoke pot, but I don't like to just sit back and shrug my shoulders when something is wrong - I like to rage. It feels better.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think y'all could benefit greatly from reading what we'all are actually writing on here, y'all. Because you misrepresent what we think and what we say every single day. Your own thoughts and opinions are ... well, I don't even know what to call them, but they are your own and only you (literally ONLY you) know what you are thinking and why y'all are thinking that ... and I do understand that you have a special telepathic relationship with Hextall so you know exactly what he is thinking ... but I think y'all need to pay attention to what the Hive actually says. Unless you are just being a smart-ass, which is fine, since we give it to y'all all the time.

I read what the Hive says, "Hakstol sucks and the miracle coach could turn a bunch of turds into diamonds."
It's the same thing, win or lose.
This is a mediocre team, we knew that in September, we know that now, and bad goal tending has simply exposed the obvious.
Mediocre isn't bad, it's middle of the pack, which is what the Flyers have been.
They've just been a bit dramatic about how they got there this season.

Which is why I don't take the Hive seriously, it's just a bunch of ranting fanboys frustrated because they know the real problem isn't the coach, but the roster, and that can't be fixed by firing the coach, but by patiently waiting a couple more seasons for reinforcements to arrive.
But most younger Americans have been taught that instant gratification should be expected in the age of entitlement.

But us old fogies know that "instant karma's gonna get you."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad