70 goals or 100 assists - which is more impressive?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
70 goals? 100 assists? Both very impressive.

Now, if you asked me which player I'd take to build my team around, it wouldn't be a hard choice.
I would prob take McDavid if they were both available in the draft but if all I knew was I would be getting a 70 goal scorer or a 100 assist player. I would prob rather the 2nd pick so I dont gotta make that decision lol

Reactions: 1989

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
If you follow your teams player, then goals you will remember.... but if you dont follow that team, points...
I had to go back and check how many goals Mogilny scored....

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If you follow your teams player, then goals you will remember.... but if you dont follow that team, points...
I had to go back and check how many goals Mogilny scored....
It's just this thing. If we look at the 70-goal scorers, we have guys like Selänne, Mogilny, and Jari Kurri. Great players to be sure. But, you know.

But if you look at the 100 assist scorers: Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr. And now McDavid.

It's just a far stronger list.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's just this thing. If we look at the 70-goal scorers, we have guys like Selänne, Mogilny, and Jari Kurri. Great players to be sure. But, you know.

But if you look at the 100 assist scorers: Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr. And now McDavid.

That’s how I view it is as well. The three best players in the NHL history have done 100A wnd now McDavid.

You have someone who didn’t even make the HoF who’s scored 70, although admittedly Mogilny should probably be there

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010

You also have Lemieux and Gretzky on the 70 goal list too. I do understand what you're saying though.

Gretzky had 11 100+ assist seasons, only 4 70+ goal seasons. I'm guessing just by looking at that, you could determine this the other way.

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Here's the lists of each, don't think they've been posted.
Screenshot_20240416-061031.png
Screenshot_20240416-060956.png

Reactions: User9992

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You also have Lemieux and Gretzky on the 70 goal list too. I do understand what you're saying though.

Gretzky had 11 100+ assist seasons, only 4 70+ goal seasons. I'm guessing just by looking at that, you could determine this the other way.
What you could determine from that is that Gretzky was an assist-first player.

My point was that there are a bunch of "random" names who have scored 70 goals, whereas there are zero "random" names who have scored 100 assists.

Obviously Gretzky and Lemieux each scored over 70 goals, did someone think they didn't?

Reactions: YukonCornelius

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Does it really matter whats more impressive? Both stats showed that they contributed to their teams in a huge way. Both produced offense for their teams in big ways too.

"Yeah but what about secondary assists?" LOL HF I sit back and read the non stop bitch fits about secondary assists. secondary assists have been around for years Why in 2024 is it that big of a deal yet no one says boo about empty net goals. They all count.

But since it does matter apparently, i'll actually lean 100 assists. 70 goals is damn impressive but 100 assists lead to helping his teammates play better which i'd say is pretty important.

Reactions: User9992

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Not sure you can simply look at how few each has been done or how few players have accomplished each (i.e. assists being better because fewer have done it)....I don't think it's that easy. That said, the answer is subjective anyway, so there is no wrong answer and this would be valid argument. The other potential valid argument, as has been raised, guys have scored 70 goals that are not hall of famers (2 I think) and not only is the 100 assist list exclusive to hall of famers, but also top 5 all-time players......though Kucherov could very well join the list tomorrow.

In terms of 70 goals, this year, if Matthews does it, will be very impressive. I don't think you can compare that to Selanne and Mogilny year....2 guys had 70+, 5 guys had 60+ and 14 guys had 50+....this year, after Matthews, only 3 guys that scored 50. Comparable years to that is when Brett Hull scored 70+ in 90/91 and 91/92, only a few other 50 goals scorers and then 70/71 when Esposito scored 76 when only 1 other 50 goal scorer. There is a bit of a "yeah but" there though as his teammate was Bobby Orr, who racked up 102 assists and won the Hart.

Reactions: authentic

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
You have a guy who is hopefully about to score 70 goals on his own merit for the first time in a long time.

You have a guy who is about to be the first winger in history to score 100 assists on his own merit for the first time.

Then you have this 3rd guy who is using Zach Hyman's Privilege™ to raise his own stats to selfishly steal the spotlight.

Anyone who knows McDavid knows this is just the beginning of his selfishness, he will probably try to score 70 next year now "just because".

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
It amazes me that 644 games now into his career, McDavid is a PPG player off of assists alone (647).
Even more amazing is Gretzky didn't fall below an assist per game until his 16th year and on his career, his assists per game alone would place him 6th all-time in PPG (150 game cut-off) and he would have played more than double the number of games than everyone on that list except Mario where it was only "close to double" the number of games.....it's mind numbing.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

My point was that there are a bunch of "random" names who have scored 70 goals, whereas there are zero "random" names who have scored 100 assists.

Obviously Gretzky and Lemieux each scored over 70 goals, did someone think they didn't?

Oh god, I’m an old man

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
How special is it if two people do it and one person does the other by a wide margin?

But, one is a Leaf so everyone does mental gymnastics to argue against his case.

Reactions: Strangle

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

The NHL is changing. Clearly 100 assists was easier this season than 70 goals. We may have two players hitting 100 assists just this season. We might have 1 player hitting 70 goals.

It makes sense because the ice is now smaller than it used to be with the new rules. New PP rules. 3v3 OT. Less players on the ice = more likely to get assists. 3 on 3 OT with 3 points awarded for every goal is very optimal for assists that wasn't an option back in the day.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Feels like either this season is an anomaly or the NHL game is changing a bit. How many years since a 70 goal scorer? How many years since a 100 assist player? And then we might have 3 this year. Honestly it takes the shine out of these seasons a bit

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The NHL is changing. Clearly 100 assists was easier this season than 70 goals. We may have two players hitting 100 assists just this season. We might have 1 player hitting 70 goals.

It makes sense because the ice is now smaller than it used to be with the new rules. New PP rules. 3v3 OT. Less players on the ice = more likely to get assists. 3 on 3 OT with 3 points awarded for every goal is very optimal for assists that wasn't an option back in the day.
Wait, you’re only mentioning it’s easier to get assists in your opinion. You can see the folly here, can’t you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad