70 goals or 100 assists - which is more impressive?

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I was having a discussion with my son about whether or not 70 goals is more impressive than getting 100 assists in a season. He said goals, I said assists.

As best I can tell, 8 players have scored 70 or more goals in a season and it has been done 14 times.

3 players have had 100 assists or more and it has happend 13 times.

If Matthews hits 70 goals and Kucherov and McDavid hit 100 assists this year, the numbers will be 9 players with 70 goals 15 times, and 5 players with 100 assists 15 times, so they are both equally infrequent.

My argument is that since less people have achieved 100 assists in a season, it is more impressive. His argument is that it is more difficult to score than get an assist, so it is more impressive.

I am curious as to how people think about this.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
1*P2-F6JQxHIWBALDPG7Qbgw.gif

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Depends on primary vs secondary assists. With second assists, assists totals can get inflated more.
Again, considering it has only been done by 3 players in NHL history, this makes no sense.

Always goals because there’s no such thing as secondary goals so if you take away the secondary assists how many assists do McDavid or Kucherov lose?
Huh?

Last edited:

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Well two players are about to hit 100 assists in the same season, while no one is even close to 70 other than Matthews. Pretty telling…

Also look at Gretzky. Beat goal scorer and playmaker of all time, and he had more difficulty getting to 70 goals than 100 assists.
Two players hitting 100 assists in a season will make it only 5 players in history that have ever scored 100 assists. I would argue that is also pretty telling.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Can we truly compare them? Should we even try? How about just recognize they are both big accomplishments.

How many of the 70 goals are someone else's play?
How many of the assists were just an otherwise innocuous transfer of possession?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00