70 goals or 100 assists - which is more impressive?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
One thing I haven't seen brought up is that no rookie has sniffed 100 assists ever. 70+ goals has at least been done before.
Are you referencing Selanne in 92/93? We sort of have to ignore that as 92/93 was a stupid year with 5 guys scoring 60+ and 14 guys scoring 50+.....I don't think there is another year in history like that one. Also, Selanne being a "rookie" that year is not the same as other rookies.

Reactions: Calderon

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Reading this thread is funny. It's almost like they forgot the point of hockey is to score goals. 100 assists is impressive, but let's be real here, we don't see nearly as many assist totals because the point of hockey is to score.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Feels like either this season is an anomaly or the NHL game is changing a bit. How many years since a 70 goal scorer? How many years since a 100 assist player? And then we might have 3 this year. Honestly it takes the shine out of these seasons a bit

As opposed to the much higher scoring seasons that every other 70 goal and 100 assist season occured in?

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
When it comes right down to it, they are both crazy impressive if only because they happen so infrequently that it becomes a dominant topic in hockey discussion.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Wait, you’re only mentioning it’s easier to get assists in your opinion. You can see the folly here, can’t you?

I do not when only one player has over 55 goals and 2 players are sitting at 99+ assists. Why do you think it is that players are getting more assists this season and less goals? Last year there was two 60+ goalscorers.

Like has been mentioned over and over again - goals are awarded less than assists.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I do not when only one player has over 55 goals and 2 players are sitting at 99+ assists.

Like has been mentioned over and over again - goals are awarded less than assists.
No, only two players have more than 87 assists, and both of them will likely have over 100.

You don’t get to quantify one level of metric without using the same logic for the other, unless you’re purposely trying to be ingenuous.

And it is absolutely not true that goals are awarded “less” than assists. Think about what you’re saying here.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
No, only two players have more than 87 assists, and both of them will likely have over 100.

You don’t get to quantify one level of metric without using the same logic for the other, unless you’re purposely trying to be ingenuous.

You're the one twisting the facts. You're including 3 players, while I'm comparing 2.

Two players have at least 99 assists.
One player has at least 56 goals. Two players have at least 55 goals.

Second in assists this season is 99.
Second in goals this season is 55.

How are you going to argue 100 assists is harder than 70 goals this season?

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
You're the one twisting the facts. You're including 3 players, while I'm comparing 2.

Two players have at least 99 assists.
One player has at least 56 goals. Two players have at least 55 goals.

Second in assists this season is 99.
Second in goals this season is 55.

How are you going to argue 100 assists is harder than 70 goals this season?
I’m not arguing it. I’m saying both accomplishments are incredible due to the rarity of the respective accomplishments historically.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Reading this thread is funny. It's almost like they forgot the point of hockey is to score goals. 100 assists is impressive, but let's be real here, we don't see nearly as many assist totals because the point of hockey is to score.
What's even funnier is that posters in this thread within 200km of Toronto doth take way too strong of opinion on this. The feats are close enough that people from any particular area should be more split.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
How special is it if two people do it and one person does the other by a wide margin?

But, one is a Leaf so everyone does mental gymnastics to argue against his case.
Ugh. You’re making it harder to cheer for Matthews incredible feat. Follow your logic through and count up how many players have ever scored 70 goals and how many have ever had 100 assists. If you want to argue AM34’s goals are impressive this isn’t the argument to make.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Ugh. You’re making it harder to cheer for Matthews incredible feat. Follow your logic through and count up how many players have ever scored 70 goals and how many have ever had 100 assists. If you want to argue AM34’s goals are impressive this isn’t the argument to make.
The fact that it's this hard for you to accept the achievement cements my point about bias against him.

Don't cheer for Auston, no one will miss your good will.

And let's examine the terrible point you're making. You're suggesting that the achievement is primarily contingent on not the context of this season and judging number that exist in the same time and place/environment, in the same experiment with the same variables and instead you reaching for other eras.

Two players will produce the same results in the same setting and others are close, Auston is one of one by a mile, in a more important category.

Pity cheer for the 100 assists, it's fun to root for the underdog.

• Haha
Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The fact that it's this hard for you to accept the achievement cements my point about bias against him.

And let's examine the terrible point you're making. You're suggesting that the achievement is primarily contingent on not the context of this season and judging number that exist in the same time and place/environment, in the same experiment with the same variables and instead you reaching for other eras.

Two players will produce the same results in the same setting and others are close, Auston is one of one by a mile, in a more important category.

Jesus Christ…🙄

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
I'll go with 100 assists. The trio who's done it before are among the four greatest players ever (arguably top 3 even). Of the eight players who have scored 70+ goals only Gretzky and Lemieux are super elite, the rest aren't arguably even top 20 all time.

Neither Matthews nor Kucherov have eclipsed their respective round number at the time I'm writing this but if they do, I reckon Kucherov is heading for the higher all time rank of the two, which would further prove my point.

Edit: I forgot to add an opinion on the context of both feats. Not all 70 goal seasons and 100 assist seasons are equal, obviously. 38 assists is very low for a superstar 1C and supposed Hart candidate. That's not making his teammates better, which is always a huge factor of a high end player's value for their team. It's not like he's the lone offensive star of his team either.

On the same token, 32 goals for McDavid isn't that impressive either. So far good for 33rd in the league. Supposedly injured which is affecting his shooting so it's understandable. At least McDavid has displayed elite goal scoring ability with a dominant Rocket win, whereas the potential 70 goal scorer is a no show in the play making department.

Last edited:

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Just so we’re on your page, are we going to get the Matthews tracking thread title changed? You know, the on that literally referenced the last time a player scored as many has Matthews has this year?

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Just so we’re on your page, are we going to get the Matthews tracking thread title changed? You know, the on that literally referenced the last time a player scored as many has Matthews has this year?
Read your posts in this thread, pretty reactive and shallow, so we're clear I'm never really interested in your opinion on any matter if we agree or not.

Cool :)

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver

Literally described his feat as incredible. The issue is your bunched up shorts. Calm down.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
E
Literally described his feat as incredible. The issue is your bunched up shorts. Calm down.
I'm enjoying this, whose upset?

I do remember learning to skate in atom as I started playing hockey late, I had 0 goals and 17 assists that year, go figure.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Read your posts in this thread, pretty reactive and shallow, so we're clear I'm never really interested in your opinion on any matter if we agree or not.

Cool :)
So we should change the title of the tracking thread then?

Cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad