Post-Game Talk: #70| FLYERS 2 at Devils 6 | Thurs., March 16, 2017 | Injury update: Mason (post #1)

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Except we scored two beauty of a goals, but whatever girds your loins.

:shakehead ....this cant be real. They get run out of the building by a team w/ an AHL filled roster who just lost 10 games in a row. Hall ran their replacement goalie with a 3 goal lead after the starter got hurt and no one reacted at all. And the 2 "beauty" goals are good enough even though they lost by 4 goals. Where are the Flyer fans? I know the CORSI-ites have their beliefs. But if you think last nights game was alright... never mind.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Did we? Hard to notice when your getting 6 scored on you and getting outplayed by an ahl caliber devils team that has lost 10 straight games

:shakehead ....this cant be real. They get run out of the building by a team w/ an AHL filled roster who just lost 10 games in a row. Hall ran their replacement goalie with a 3 goal lead after the starter got hurt and no one reacted at all. And the 2 "beauty" goals are good enough even though they lost by 4 goals. Where are the Flyer fans? I know the CORSI-ites have their beliefs. But if you think last nights game was alright... never mind.

That's a fair thing to say, but original comment was how this team is not even worth watching anymore and even in arguably worst game of this season there at least was something good.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
That's a fair thing to say, but original comment was how this team is not even worth watching anymore and even in arguably worst game of this season there at least was something good.

They could go out there and do backflips, that would be something good as well. But It doesn't effect the result of the game or the systems and coaching decisions.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I think Weise actually will be the better player moving forward. Honestly his cap hit isn't that bad and they can pencil him into the bottom 6 for a few years and forget it.

I think Weise is a logical target for LV.
Hexy should offer them a 6 or 7 pick to make sure they take Weise.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Hextall has got to be considering an offseason sell-off at this point.

How could he possibly be comfortable with 28, 93, 47, 10 and (to a lesser extent) 14 and 17 as his core against the cap?

And is there any realistic scenario where any of these players takes a big step forward in future years?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Firing Hakstol would be a good start the idiot believes MacDonald is a quality player. Must somehow blend character, attitude and lack of skill together to make him a quality #3.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Eh... AMac is one thing, but I think the bigger concern now has to be the money and term tied up in this forward core and the lack of new blood underneath it.

Are 28, 93, 10 and 14 the right guys to devote $26m worth of cap for the next 3+ years?

If Jake hadn't signed that contract and instead was going into FA this year, what kind of deal would he command?

Ain't much Hextall can do about A-Mac right now. But he can try to be proactive on 28 and 93, at the risk of navigating NMCs and maybe not finding takers for those big contracts. Really, really big offseason for him.

I worry he'll do nothing and we'll be right back here next year, staring at forward group full of -20 players and lamenting that they've become all that much more untradeable.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think the offseason in 2018 will be more crucial. That's the point when Hextall has to decide what to do with Simmonds and by then we should also have a better idea what our defense is going to look like going forward.

I don't expect much activity from Hextall this summer, tbh.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
I could have saved myself a lot of time by just sitting at my desk and punching myself in the nuts a couple of times rather than watch that game.

Here's to hoping our young talent can save us.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Eh... AMac is one thing, but I think the bigger concern now has to be the money and term tied up in this forward core and the lack of new blood underneath it.

Are 28, 93, 10 and 14 the right guys to devote $26m worth of cap for the next 3+ years?

If Jake hadn't signed that contract and instead was going into FA this year, what kind of deal would he command?

Ain't much Hextall can do about A-Mac right now. But he can try to be proactive on 28 and 93, at the risk of navigating NMCs and maybe not finding takers for those big contracts. Really, really big offseason for him.

I worry he'll do nothing and we'll be right back here next year, staring at forward group full of -20 players and lamenting that they've become all that much more untradeable.

The reason there is little amount of forwards behind them, because we have been spending years drafting Dmen to fix our biggest issue. Now that pipeline is full. As is our goalies. Last year was the start of the forwards and this coming draft will too.

And why do you just shrug off AMac and his 5 million cap hit AND his usage??

FWIW, I said a few years ago we were built backwards. But it was mostly just due to Holmgren ignoring the drafting of Dmen. Hence why he tried for Weber and Suter, then settled on Schenn, Streit,
AMac, Grossmann, etc...

I fully expect this coming year to be a wait and see year. See how the young D do in the NHL, and their impact on the teams transition game.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
And why do you just shrug off AMac and his 5 million cap hit AND his usage??

There's nothing they can do about the cap hit now, and his usage will presumably decline as the kids come through these next two years.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you don't think it's idiotic to say 28 hasn't lived up to his contract this season & that it's worth contemplating trading his 11th in the NHL salary for the next five years, then we're in agreement. Seemed you felt strongly otherwise.

Here's how I see it, just so we're clear.

He hasn't had a good year, overall. He was very good to start but then that slump alone was enough to change the year from "good" to "bad", no matter how it ends.

BUT, I do not think that he should be traded. It's clear it wasn't a decline, if it was a decline it wouldn't have suddenly happened in January and February, after being fine to start the year, and now suddenly be looking like normal again this month. That's not how declines work.

It was a really bad slump... that's all, and you don't panic and trade your best forward after a bad slump. That's shortsighted stupidity. Imagine if Anaheim traded Getzlaf in 2012 after putting up lower numbers... bad move. It's not a coincidence that his scoring is down as the teams scoring is down... he's had bad stretches of personal play, not arguing that at all, but the rest of the team absolutely has an effect on him too. He's a playmaker... if people don't finish then no point for G, no matter what his level of personal play is like.

So to sum it up, bad year, but nothing to worry about yet.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Hak hates Mason. That's why Mason has 99 starts with a .912 SV% under him and Neuvirth has 51 starts at .910.
IDK what's going on with the goalies but something isn't right. Interestingly we haven't heard anything from Dillabaugh about the play of either of these two. Hexy hasn't said anything of significance on them either aside from the predictable mumbo jumbo when Neuvirth was re-signed. Perhaps by late July we'll know more.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
G wasn't very good to start, he was OK at ES, had a blip in December that was mostly good luck shooting, then two horrible months in January and February before bouncing back in March.

I think he'll play better next year, but you'll never see "peak" Giroux again, he's a marginal 1C and will probably be a 2C in a year or two. If the cap goes up 10% over the next couple years that will soften the blow, as his $8+M salary will be more like $7M, still high for a 2C but nothing they can't carry for a couple years until the kids have to be paid.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He was 11th in the NHL in points just before Xmas and was pacing for ~75 points with a better 5v5 P/60 than last season (where he was top 100) and also a better CF% than last year.

He was great through 35 games... and he has been very good in the last ~10 too.

Yeh, barring a miracle he will never be the ~85pt guy he was from 2011-14... but he can still be a good 70-75 point center for the next few years for sure.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He was 11th in the NHL in points just before Xmas and was pacing for ~75 points with a better 5v5 P/60 than last season (where he was top 100) and also a better CF% than last year.

He was great through 35 games... and he has been very good in the last ~10 too.

Yeh, barring a miracle he will never be the ~85pt guy he was from 2011-14... but he can still be a good 70-75 point center for the next few years for sure.

Bingo.

Not bad for a "2C". :laugh:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No worry at all how G has become entirely reliant on the PP and is something like 300th in ES points per minute?
I don't think it's laughable to suggest he isn't a true 1C anymore.
He's third on his own team among centers in ES ppg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad