GDT: #70: Capitals at FLYERS, Thursday, Mar. 14, 2019, 7:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Yes, PEB has the most ice time among forwards on the NHL's 8th best PK.
I'm pretty sure there is a lot more to it than just PEB or why wasn't the Flyers PK in the top ten in the league when he was getting over 2.5 minutes of PK time? Again, nothing wrong with PEB on the PK, but I'm guessing there is more to it than that when it comes to the success of the Knight's kill.

And I'll still stand by my original assertion that Hakstol was a horrible NHL head coach.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
I'm pretty sure there is a lot more to it than just PEB or why wasn't the Flyers PK in the top ten in the league when he was getting over 2.5 minutes of PK time? Again, nothing wrong with PEB on the PK, but I'm guessing there is more to it than that when it comes to the success of the Knight's kill.

And I'll still stand by my original assertion that Hakstol was a horrible NHL head coach.

I don't think it's as clear cut as that. I think he knows how to get decent play from marginal type players but doesn't have the scheme/vision to coach talent.

And this team is talented. And I now see that Hextall waited one season too long to fire the coach and promote several AHL players. It's too bad - cause I liked a lot of what he did and have reservations about our future. Please do the right thing Gordon.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I don't think it's as clear cut as that. I think he knows how to get decent play from marginal type players but doesn't have the scheme/vision to coach talent.
Well, since you don't win, especially against good teams and in the playoffs, without optimizing talent........

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Well, since you don't win, especially against good teams and in the playoffs, without optimizing talent........

True. However to me the Flyers only turned the corner a season and a half ago. I don't believe any other coach here from 2014 - 2016/17 would have performed much better the NHL ready talent pool and salary cap hell constraints. Bowman.... Babcock... Quennville....The Lord Almighty... no one.

But that's over - TG!!!!

Reactions: BiggE

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

No doubt.

I just love to poke the bear :)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hak's over reliance on guys like PEB and Vandevelde while the PK was mired in the bottom third of the league was just mind boggling. As bad as Mimsy is, and he's pretty bad, he's still an upgrade over Hak.
rankings:
2017-18 GA/60 (29), SCA/60 (4), SCsv% (30), HDCA/60 (5), HDsv% (31)
2016-17 GA/60 (19), SCA/60 (6), SCsv% (26), HDCA/60 (1), HDsv% (20)
2015-16 GA/60 (20), SCA/60 (8), SCsv% (15), HDCA/60 (4), HDsv% (20)

Maybe the problem wasn't Lappy?
Maybe they just needed goalies who made big plays?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We were so unbelievably overmatched in that series with Couturier out and yet somehow took 2 games off of them on the back of Neuvy's miracle showing.
If I am remembering correctly, in the 1st 3 games, Mason only allowed 4 ES goals in TOTAL with one of them being that shot from the other end of the ice.

Our passive PK let him out to dry as they just allowed Ovi and Carlsson to tee up shot after shot.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
What we need is for Washington top beat Pitt and hopefully they take us lightly after a win.

But if they lose to Pitt, they will be looking for a big rebound against us.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Humangus Big Game. If we win this one, I feel really good about getting in.

Getting in the wild card spot is going to be a difficult task. The Flyers have a tough schedule coming up and have to contend with Columbus and Montreal.

Lucky for Philadelphia that Columbus and Montreal have not been playing well lately, so it gives us a slight chance at a wild card spot.

I’ve been impressed by the play of the Hurricanes, since the trade deadline they’ve been on fire.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
rankings:
2017-18 GA/60 (29), SCA/60 (4), SCsv% (30), HDCA/60 (5), HDsv% (31)
2016-17 GA/60 (19), SCA/60 (6), SCsv% (26), HDCA/60 (1), HDsv% (20)
2015-16 GA/60 (20), SCA/60 (8), SCsv% (15), HDCA/60 (4), HDsv% (20)

Maybe the problem wasn't Lappy?
Maybe they just needed goalies who made big plays?
GwNEcTS.gif

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It's the goalies BiggE. I know that the new coach has changed to a much more successful, league wide approach of aggressiveness, no longer throwing the historically bad slug second PK unit consisting of Weise, Lehtera, Hagg and Mcf***boi out there, instead opting for quicker, smarter PKers with the basic ability to breathe, zip to, and clear loose pucks. Nothing has changed but SV%. f***ing get with it old man

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
How long until a team glues one guy to Ovechkin - like literally have him so close for the entire PP that Ovi can't even wind up for a one-timer - and just have the other three try to defend as if it's a 3v4...

That has to be better than letting him take shots constantly.

The designated Flyer defender against Ovechkin doesn't even have to be stapled to him. If he is positioned between the hashmarks, the passer would have to be a wizard to drop a puck in for Ovechkin to one-time from there. And the player isn't so far out of the play as to not be able to retrieve a loose puck in the slot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What is the defense supposed to do? Suppress scoring chances, especially dangerous scoring chances. Check
What are goalies supposed to do? Stop goals. Uh, Houston, we have a problem.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's the goalies BiggE. I know that the new coach has changed to a much more successful, league wide approach of aggressiveness, no longer throwing the historically bad slug second PK unit consisting of Weise, Lehtera, Hagg and Mc****boi out there, instead opting for quicker, smarter PKers with the basic ability to breathe, zip to, and clear loose pucks. Nothing has changed but SV%. ****ing get with it old man

If the new PK gives up scoring chances at the same rate as the old PK, what exactly has been accomplished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad