Post-Game Talk: #70 | 3/20/2015 | Red Wings @ Lightning | Another loss to Yzerman

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Tampa executes just lil smarter and that small difference builds up throughout the game

plus their transition game is lil better than wings I think.

still it's too early to throw in a towel. Wings aren't really playing up to potential. I think they are bit too scared to get injured or something

Pace around the league is picking up with the playoffs approaching, and we're not adjusting to match. Also, this is the first year for guys like Nyquist, Sheahan, Dekeyser, and Glendening to shoulder a more significant share of the load and to do with expectations on them for it.

Growing pains.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
To those who want to blame Babcock for this late season colapse...look at this roster. Look at this defense. The best players on this team are 34 and 36 and past their prime. We have a fading 33 year old d-man forced to be the anchor of the defense when he's better suited as a #2. Detroit overachieved this season and had a record beyond their talent level. Work still needs to be done to this roster, and whether Babcock is coaching here next year or not Holland needs to dramatically improve this team on the back end. Tatar, Gus and Sheahan REALLY need to take the next step this off-season, otherwise this organization is on worse shape than most of us envisioned going into this year.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Pace around the league is picking up with the playoffs approaching, and we're not adjusting to match. Also, this is the first year for guys like Nyquist, Sheahan, Dekeyser, and Glendening to shoulder a more significant share of the load and to do with expectations on them for it.

Growing pains.

yeah I think Babcock actually tried to give Nyquist some opportunities to carry his lines.. but he hasnt really responded.

Wings were in a bit of limbo situation where they couldn't go up or down.. now that the possiblity of going down is getting near, I think we will start to see some Wings actually paying price to make plays. maybe after another loss.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Considering our odds to survive long in the first rounds, I won't even care to get a better draft position instead.

It'd be something miraculous if we missed the playoffs and somehow ended up winning the draft lottery.

It'd be great to see McDavid in the juniors for another year :p.

Thrasher1993

Mar 3, 2015
To those who want to blame Babcock for this late season colapse...look at this roster. Look at this defense. The best players on this team are 34 and 36 and past their prime. We have a fading 33 year old d-man forced to be the anchor of the defense when he's better suited as a #2. Detroit overachieved this season and had a record beyond their talent level. Work still needs to be done to this roster, and whether Babcock is coaching here next year or not Holland needs to dramatically improve this team on the back end. Tatar, Gus and Sheahan REALLY need to take the next step this off-season, otherwise this organization is on worse shape than most of us envisioned going into this year.

I dont think this collapse is solely on babcok. I do think hes overrated as a head coach and is not a good one In actuality. His refusal to switch anything during this collapse is keeping them in the collapse. His line management is laughable like i said before. Andersson should not even be in the lineup let alone with two skill players

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Added a poll, changed thread title, etc. Try to make this feel a little more official post gamey.

yeah I think Babcock actually tried to give Nyquist some opportunities to carry his lines.. but he hasnt really responded.

Wings were in a bit of limbo situation where they couldn't go up or down.. now that the possiblity of going down is getting near, I think we will start to see some Wings actually paying price to make plays. maybe after another loss.

I think Nyquist is trying a bit too hard at this point, and needs to just settle in and get back to playing his game. To a degree I agree with 8snake that we've probably played above our heads a bit this season, but I don't think the past ten games or so are an entirely accurate reflection of us, either. A really bad time to hit a slump, though.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Added a poll, changed thread title, etc. Try to make this feel a little more official post gamey.

I think Nyquist is trying a bit too hard at this point, and needs to just settle in and get back to playing his game. To a degree I agree with 8snake that we've probably played above our heads a bit this season, but I don't think the past ten games or so are an entirely accurate reflection of us, either. A really bad time to hit a slump, though.

The problem with that line of thinking is the wings haven't had to face 1/2 the adversity they did last year. Dats and Z have missed at most 20 games this year compared to 80 something last year. Yet this team looks worse than last year and isn't trending at all the right way.

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
Bottom line: this Wings team is not talented enough to compete for the championship.

How many times must the Wings make the playoffs only to flush out in the early rounds before the Wings' management reaLizes they need to make big changes in this roster in order to be more competitive?

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Bottom line: this Wings team is not talented enough to compete for the championship.

How many times must the Wings make the playoffs only to flush out in the early rounds before the Wings' management reaLizes they need to make big changes in this roster in order to be more competitive?

"Anything can happen once you get into the playoffs" - Kenny Holland

This concept is of course based off taking the Hawks to game 7 one year, and the 8th place kings dominating and winning the cup... for 2 of the past 3 years.

To an extent it's true. If this team gets hot again and starts rolling along anything can happen. Its certainly not too late, but if the wings continue to play like this there isn't much left to be inspired by.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005

I don't think we're as bad as this current stretch either. We're decent team that has to rely on effort and structure...and for most of the season that's what has kept Detroit consistent. Any slippage in effort or intensity and we just don't have the skill and proven talent to win at a high level. The sky isn't falling though. I think Gus is mentally done unfortunately. I don't expect anything from him the rest of the season. Hopefully this year has been a wakeup call and he understands that he needs to work on his game A TON. He's been pretty pathetic all season and just hasn't adjusted to being a focus of the opposition.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
I think Gus is mentally done unfortunately. I don't expect anything from him the rest of the season. Hopefully this year has been a wakeup call and he understands that he needs to work on his game A TON. He's been pretty pathetic all season and just hasn't adjusted to being a focus of the opposition.

Yeah, sure. :rolleyes: Seemed as if you watched him play quite a lot. If one of our best scorers has been "pretty pathetic all season", I don't wanna know what you think about the rest, sans Tats, Dats and Z.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Yeah, sure. :rolleyes: Seemed as if you watched him play quite a lot. If one of our best scorers has been "pretty pathetic all season", I don't wanna know what you think about the rest, sans Tats, Dats and Z.
He was doing well on the PP...that's how he put up points early on. He's been a complete non-factor at even strength all year. He's had a very disappointing season IMO.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Wings management has made it perfectly clear that the big goal is to simply make the playoffs. There is no real desire to be "competitive". It's why Mike Babcock will be gone after this year. If we are lucky we can get Babs and Stevie Y to come home once the Ken Holland era is mercifully brought to it's end. :help:

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
He was doing well on the PP...that's how he put up points early on. He's been a complete non-factor at even strength all year. He's had a very disappointing season IMO.

Just calling him really pathetic, 'cause he scored most of his goals on the PP is highly doubtful. What's your standard of expectations? Complementary to his PP goals he served 26 assists and several ones that weren't converted. In almost every game he has his moments - no matter if it leads to a goal or not. A bad turnover doesn't change that. Other than that, all team was clearly disappointing at ES scoring in this season.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
The problem is people lumped him into a category of player he isn't. I don't think he's had a disappointing season so much as the expectations for him were set wayyyyy to high. Teams have figured him out too, you can't go on a tear he did last year and expect teams not to have a game plan against him. He still has to do something about that though, mostly stop thinking and simplify.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Wings management has made it perfectly clear that the big goal is to simply make the playoffs. There is no real desire to be "competitive". It's why Mike Babcock will be gone after this year. If we are lucky we can get Babs and Stevie Y to come home once the Ken Holland era is mercifully brought to it's end. :help:

I completely disagree, but to each their own.

Failing at making the team a contender does not mean the team isn't trying to become a contender. I would think trying to sign guys like Niskanen and Ehrhoff in the offseason is a testament to that.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Boy pretty gloomy in these parts. I'm glad we put in a valiant effort, guys like Helm and Jurco showed some anger throwing their bodies around that was positive. Also the player I've been picking on, Cole, I thought had his best game as a Red Wing. He was really flying out there. Tatar played big as well, and Sheahan was more noticeable than usual to me.

Sheesh it was tied through 50 minutes, it was a good game had a bit of a playoff feel IMO. The Wings had some decent chances. I'm one who believes in shooting from anywhere, a giant like Bishop you've got to make work, keep plugging away which we tried. Personally I'm proud of our games this Florida trip, I think the boys played admirably.

Do we remember the Wings are competing without our best player? And as far as the season goes with our 5 million 2nd line center benched and what should be a huge key in Franzen injured for months now?

I agree there is room for concern, our less experienced guys may be running out of steam. We started the season in a heated rush we have cooled some. As 8snake posted we are a team that relies on hard work and structure, but up against higher talent if there is any breakdown physically or mentally it is difficult to recover.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
In the month of March:

Zidlicky: +2
DeKeyser: +1
Quincey: +1
Smith: -2
Kronwall: -7
Ericsson: -7

Wow that is bad. This should be enough to get Ericsson off the top line. Man it's very hard to start switching up the pairings (especially after 3 years!!!) but somethings got to change.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I still do not know how the first goal wasn't waved off. Man all over Howard no way he can move to get the puck.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
We had one bad loss like a month ago so Babcock shook up the lines. Now we've had a big string of bad losses and he refuses to go back to the lines that had us at the top of the conference. Guys continue to get roster spots based on which pictures of Babs they have.

Gotta be honest and say I hope he leaves in the summer. I really wish we would just fall out of the playoffs so we can finally see some change in our management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad