Post-Game Talk: #70 | 3/20/2015 | Red Wings @ Lightning | Another loss to Yzerman

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
marchenko on top pairing isn't realistic option.
Realistic knowing how Babcock coaches? You're probably correct, but he moved Marchenko up with Kronwall a couple times and he looked good. Quincey and Dekeyser are the only other two that are deserving to play on the top pair.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Realistic knowing how Babcock coaches? You're probably correct, but he moved Marchenko up with Kronwall a couple times and he looked good. Quincey and Dekeyser are the only other two that are deserving to play on the top pair.

yes, knowing babs is our coach. i'm not convinced he can handle that role now (or ever). i don't see the case for him being the best option either. i'd even try smith there before him. he sucked balls at times last season but played well down the stretch there.

i think dekeyser is much better on the left and though quincey has been solid, i'd feel uncomfortable with him on top pair.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Unfortunately we're in the same boat as before the TDL, with no suitable option for #1 RD.

Ideally, I like the bones of

Kronwall-X
Dekeyser-Zidlicky
Quincey-Marchenko

I don't like any of our choices to fill that X spot, and we haven't been able to fill it in FA or trade. I don't know the best way to structure the D, hard to strengthen one pair without weakening one.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
yes, knowing babs is our coach. i'm not convinced he can handle that role now (or ever). i don't see the case for him being the best option either. i'd even try smith there before him. he sucked balls at times last season but played well down the stretch there.

i think dekeyser is much better on the left and though quincey has been solid, i'd feel uncomfortable with him on top pair.
Well, nobody is the best option since none of them are #2s. Datsyuk and Zetterberg can probably make a better case than all of them to play on the top pair :laugh:

I guess people just view defense differently. Smith is nowhere near as responsible as Marchenko in his own end from what I've seen.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Well, nobody is the best option since none of them are #2s. Datsyuk and Zetterberg can probably make a better case than all of them to play on the top pair :laugh:

I guess people just view defense differently. Smith is nowhere near as responsible as Marchenko in his own end from what I've seen.

he's not but he's better with the puck and more mobile than ericsson. kronwall can focus more on D. he's doing that know too because ericsson has sucked and it has hurt that pairings offense and transition game. smith brought that last year.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
he's not but he's better with the puck and more mobile than ericsson. kronwall can focus more on D. he's doing that know too because ericsson has sucked and it has hurt that pairings offense and transition game. smith brought that last year.
Transition game? I don't think they've had a transition game since Lidstrom and Ralfaski were on the team.

For a defense that can't move the puck worth a **** I'd want the four most responsible defenseman in the top 4. I'd bet Kronwall is sick of babysitting Ericsson, and Smith when he was up there. He wouldn't have to babysit Marchenko, who doesn't struggle to make an outlet pass either. Guess we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad