Post-Game Talk: #7 | Wild at Flyers | October 26, 2023 | Flyers win 6-2

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
But if you’re consistently making the 2nd round and conference finals, you’re in that group of teams that has a legitimate shot at a cup.
Sure, I suppose, but this team doesn't have the talent to be in that category. At best we could be like the Wild or the Islanders - a team that is difficult to play against, but doesn't have the horses to win the Cup.

I am still of the opinion that you need to have a superstar #1 or #2 pick to have a legitimate chance to win the Cup. That doesn't mean having the #1 or #2 pick guarantees success, but since 2009, every team except the 2011 Bruins (even though they had Seguin - he wasn't influential) and the 2019 Blues (they did have a highly influential d-man in Pietrangelo a #4 pick) has had the #1 or #2 pick.

Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Fleury for the Pens
Kane for the Blackhawks (and a solid #3 in Toews)
Doughty for the Kings
Ovechkin for the Caps
Stamkos and Hedman for the Lightning
MacKinnon and Landeskog for Colorado
Eichel for the Knights

Teams like Buffalo and NJ jave had number one picks and are becoming serious contenders.

The Flyers don't have that type of talent and they need to get it. Finishing 10th worst in the league is not a sufficient rebuild to create a Cup contender.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sure, I suppose, but this team doesn't have the talent to be in that category. At best we could be like the Wild or the Islanders - a team that is difficult to play against, but doesn't have the horses to win the Cup.

I am still of the opinion that you need to have a superstar #1 or #2 pick to have a legitimate chance to win the Cup. That doesn't mean having the #1 or #2 pick guarantees success, but since 2009, every team except the 2011 Bruins (even though they had Seguin - he wasn't influential) and the 2019 Blues (they did have a highly influential d-man in Pietrangelo a #4 pick) has had the #1 or #2 pick.

Doughty for the Kings
Ovechkin for the Caps
Eichel for the Knights

Teams like Buffalo and NJ jave had number one picks and are becoming serious contenders.

The Flyers don't have that type of talent and they need to get it. Finishing 10th worst in the league is not a sufficient rebuild to create a Cup contender.
Michkov isn't an elite talent? Larkin isn't an elite talent?

It's not picking #1 or #2, see JVR, Patrick, it's landing a couple elite players, and just as important, quality depth - Toronto has elite talent, Edmonton has elite talent, it ain't enough.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Michkov isn't an elite talent? Larkin isn't an elite talent?

It's not picking #1 or #2, see JVR, Patrick, it's landing a couple elite players, and just as important, quality depth - Toronto has elite talent, Edmonton has elite talent, it ain't enough.

Just says ago you argued to me that Edmonton has the depth and their talent is failing them, which I'm sure is related to the fact that your latest hero has previously slammed Edmonton's talent.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020

Doughty for the Kings
Ovechkin for the Caps
Eichel for the Knights

I agree. I think a bad year this year can go a long way towards future success. I’m probably more optimistic than most here about the Flyers future but I think it is setting up nicely. They just can’t draft any outright busts, and need to add a few more high end defensive prospects. I just posted what I did because a poster said “and let the second round exits and Conference Final bummers rip”. Maybe I misinterpreted it but I think if you are consistently getting to that stage you are set up well and have a decent chance of breaking through. It’s been over a decade since the Flyers could be thought realistically to make it to the second round or more every year. I would like those years to come back

Reactions: Pantokrator

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Good job we have a 3rd goalie sitting around with his thumb up his ass too!

Or a 4th goalie making 5 million in the AHL.

• Haha
Reactions: ybnvs

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Good job we have a 3rd goalie sitting around with his thumb up his ass too!

Or a 4th goalie making 5 million in the AHL.
Ehhhh, Peterson was never really in the running to get NHL play time, they took on his contract purely to get a bigger return for Provorov.

I don't think they got enough to take that on, but I agree with the principle of their thought process. Good process, meh execution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad