Post-Game Talk: #7| New York Islanders @ Winnipeg Jets | October 17th | 8:00 PM | F/W 3-1

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I think if Wahlstrom keeps improving game to game, it won't be long until he sees Top 6 minutes. He's not quite there yet, as was evident by his limited minutes in the 3rd, but he still saw more time than MDC and rightfully so. I think MDC will be fine as a 3rd liner, but I don't see any indication that he's deserving of Top 6 minutes.

Reactions: dood and Macch

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Barzal slowly but surely turning into the player we all knew he is.

Man, the Jets look like a completely different team from the last 3 years. I guess they kind of are....but even a guy like Wheeler looked lost last night.

Honestly, that Jets team with Trotz would probably be incredible. Too bad for them :)

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Only just watched the 8 minute clip the NHL puts out. Obviously cherry picked clips but, thoughts:

- Lee flat out can't shoot lol. He's a great leader and net front presence, but if he's on a breakaway or a lone in the slot, there is about a 2% chance he scores. Which makes me think, has he ever taken a shootout attempt? I hope never.

- The Wahlstrom short side high attempt. After throwing his body around to retrieve the puck and then protect it around the zone with a "get to the net / shoot-first" was refreshing, BUT, I don't think that will work often in the NHL. Was that at the end of a long WPG shift? They looked gassed trying to cover him.

- Seemed like Barzy had a bunch of changes again - both for assists and goals. Is that right? I absolutely LOVE his goal celebrations and how animated / excited he is.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That was Lee and he didn't fall, he dove to break up the play.
I'd like to think that that play is indicative of the type of team this team is. And has to be. We aren't necessarily going to "out skill" most teams, but if we continue to do the small things, we can compete. Just a smaller margin of error though. Varly definitely showed his appreciation there. He was otherwise hung out to dry.

Reactions: dood and PK Cronin

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm not going to get too hung up on the 4th line but if Ross is going to get such sheltered/limited minutes, why not have Martin out there? Martin has always been reliable at the end of the game. I get it that Cizikas is out and that line is greater than the sum of its parts, but it just seems weird to scratch Martin 3 games in a row only to have his replacement play 5:33 and not at all in the 3rd period.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm not going to get too hung up on the 4th line but if Ross is going to get such sheltered/limited minutes, why not have Martin out there? Martin has always been reliable at the end of the game. I get it that Cizikas is out and that line is greater than the sum of its parts, but it just seems weird to scratch Martin only to have his replacement play 5:33 and not at all in the 3rd period.

I think it was a combination of things. Trotz shifted Komarov back to wing so he only had three centers from then on. So he gave Johnston no time, severely limited Dal Colle, and then Wahlstrom. He essentially just eliminated an entire line under ten minutes to play. I don't know if it's because he doesn't like Johnston's defensive game or because he just doesn't know what he has there yet and with Dal Colle and Wahlstrom in the lineup, last night wasn't the time to figure that out.

If it is because of not liking his game, I agree 100%. I didn't notice anything glaringly bad about him though and thought he played well last night.

Reactions: dood

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Interesting game last night. What had me intrigued is how good Matt Barzal can and will be very soon. Kid is a great talent and hates losing. How can the Isles can find that perfect speedy winger that buries pucks to compliment him?

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Here's a thought for the folks who think Lou is so clueless that the team is destined to wallow in mediocrity. Who do you think is going to ask him to step down as GM? Scott Malkin? I doubt it. Jon Ledecky? Nope. Is Lou going to step down himself? Maybe.

And if that happens Lou Lamoriello, who is also president of the Islanders will name his replacement. Do you trust him to do that?

I get that it's tough to watch and you keep clenching your sphincter. Take the long view instead of keeping your focus so narrow and venting your spleens because we're trailing 1-0 after 30 minutes of play.

Defense looks pretty good the last few games, eh? Nah. Can't win with defense.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think it was a combination of things. Trotz shifted Komarov back to wing so he only had three centers from then on. So he gave Johnston no time, severely limited Dal Colle, and then Wahlstrom. He essentially just eliminated an entire line under ten minutes to play. I don't know if it's because he doesn't like Johnston's defensive game or because he just doesn't know what he has there yet and with Dal Colle and Wahlstrom in the lineup, last night wasn't the time to figure that out.

If it is because of not liking his game, I agree 100%. I didn't notice anything glaringly bad about him though and thought he played well last night.

I think you're right about this. It was essentially 3 Centers from the second half of the game on out. Which I totally get. But it brings me back to a point I made before the game - being that Ebs is not on this road trip, why not IR him and bring up Fritz for these two games (and maybe more)? One of the hallmarks of this team's success is rolling 4 lines. You can do that with Fritz centering the 4th line - at least for a while. It doesn't make too much sense having a line that you don't have faith in - through no fault of the individual players - just that there's no Centerman.

Reactions: PK Cronin and mm11

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I think you're right about this. It was essentially 3 Centers from the second half of the game on out. Which I totally get. But it brings me back to a point I made before the game - being that Ebs is not on this road trip, why not IR him and bring up Fritz for these two games (and maybe more)? One of the hallmarks of this team's success is rolling 4 lines. You can do that with Fritz centering the 4th line - at least for a while. It doesn't make too much sense having a line that you don't have faith in - through no fault of the individual players - just that there's no Centerman.

I personally think Fritz can be a fine 4th line motor. Play Cizakis 3rd line center and roll Nelson and Barzy........try Brassard on #13's LW......If it does not fit, then waive the former ranger player. The stink is still on him unfortunately

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'd probably dress 7 D men next game if Trotz is going with 3 Centers. Put in Dobson.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I love Wall-E on the 3rd line for now. It gives him enough minutes to get involved but keeps him away from top level defenders and shut down lines. IDK if they'll be able to send him back down.

Barzy is a beast.

I still think we need to improve the bottom of our lineup and as much as it pains me to say it, this might be the last year we see 'the best 4th line in hockey'. Cizikas is on his way up, Martin and Clutter very much on the downswing. Will always love the Bash Bros though.

December Ideal lineup:

Lee-Barzy-Ebbs
Bailey-Nelson-WallE
Beau-Brass- Upgrade on Khunakle (Laad? lmao)
Martin-Zeeker-Clutter

I think we need a 3rd line RW with some nasty.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I love Wall-E on the 3rd line for now. It gives him enough minutes to get involved but keeps him away from top level defenders and shut down lines. IDK if they'll be able to send him back down.

Barzy is a beast.

I still think we need to improve the bottom of our lineup and as much as it pains me to say it, this might be the last year we see 'the best 4th line in hockey'. Cizikas is on his way up, Martin and Clutter very much on the downswing. Will always love the Bash Bros though.

December Ideal lineup:

Lee-Barzy-Ebbs
Bailey-Nelson-WallE
Martin-Zeeker-Clutter

I was just about to ask and post this same lineup but with Uncle Leo as RW3, we use him on the PK and he serves a purpose.

The glaring upgrade at this point is the 3C, but I'll hold off on the yelling about a depth center trade for at least another 5 games.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
- The Wahlstrom short side high attempt. After throwing his body around to retrieve the puck and then protect it around the zone with a "get to the net / shoot-first" was refreshing, BUT, I don't think that will work often in the NHL. Was that at the end of a long WPG shift? They looked gassed trying to cover him.

That was just a strong play by Walle to get the puck, the open ice was a result f a miscommunication between Wheeler and someone else, that happens all the time, even for pros.

I really like this kid.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I always enjoy reading the GDT the next morning after a win so it's easy to say this now.... but oh my lord some of the posts during the first period were off the rail. This is the exact same team we had last year. They grind it out, play conservative and wait for the big chances. It's the perfect style of play for our personnel. Please take a valium the next time before posting and realize you're watching the same product that produced 103 pts last season.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Dog poop first 28 minutes with the almost constant turnovers, but a great road win the rest of the way. Really dominated the rest of the way.
True. I think the turning point was the fourth line shift spent entirely in their end, just before they took the penalty we scored on. Changed the whole flow of the game.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site

Barzy is a beast.

December Ideal lineup:

Lee-Barzy-Ebbs
Bailey-Nelson-WallE
Martin-Zeeker-Clutter

I continue to believe that Lee needs to play with Nelson. Add Wahlstrom to those two and I think we'll have a very, very good thing. Move Bailey up to play with Ebs and Mat. While those latter two do their dancing, JB will be a steadying presence with the ability to chip in the nice pass or goal. I like the Beau-Brass-Komarov connection for the first bunch of games. I think it too will get better with age. And let the best 4th line in hockey get healthy and unleash them, with an occasional Boss sighting.
FWIW, I suppose JB and ABV can swap from time to time. I think Josh is good for Brass to play with.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Interesting game last night. What had me intrigued is how good Matt Barzal can and will be very soon. Kid is a great talent and hates losing. How can the Isles can find that perfect speedy winger that buries pucks to compliment him?
What I love is he has awesome talent, hates losing and actually has a pretty animated personality (i.e., passion). I never felt he-who-will-not-be-named's passion off or on the ice like you sense from this kid.

Reactions: mm11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad