Post-Game Talk: #7| New York Islanders @ Winnipeg Jets | October 17th | 8:00 PM | F/W 3-1

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
People who make up things about how he falls down all the time and doesn't possess a shot at all, those are haters because they're not true.
I never said he has no shot at all, I said he has been a terrible shooter and until tonight, that was true (except in OT pond hockey). Let's hope he has turned a corner, but we'll need a larger sample size because we've seen this before. Little glimpses of brilliance followed by month long cold spells. As for his inability to stay on his feet, I'll admit to a bit of hyperbole, but it's not like it doesn't happen with some frequency, as in again tonight. The point is, you equate fair criticism with hatred, and that is just plain ridiculous. No one wants him to succeed more than I do. I love his attitude, I love the fun he brings to the game, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to get on him when he's stinking up the joint. As in the first 30 minutes of tonight's game. If that's hate in your mind, so be it.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Obviously happy with the result. Agreed Newsworthy? Newsworthy?? Dang, would be nice to see him in here, celebrating after a win. ;)

Wasn't disappointed with anyone, thought everyone played a disciplined game. Nice and tight. Varly looking more comfortable and everyone seems to be very happy for him.

Loving what Olly is doing. He's showing that he belongs. The grit is an added element that caught me by surprise. Nice.

Barzy was good, but he can be better. He get caught from behind a few times again, because he stops moving his feet.

Pelech is our underrated guy, IMO. I predicted that he was gonna be somewhat of a Seabrook, and I think I'm close.

The Knuckle is not spectacular, but is as advertised, a reliable, flexible, guy who rarely hurts you. Good to have

Boychuk is so solid. Does so many little things good. A warrior, whatever his age.

Beau is keeping up the good work. Once he better learns to slip hits, and get sneaky in battles, instead trying to match reach and strength of OP, he's gonna flourish.

Ross is looking good, more disciplined, as of late. His combination of size and speed, not to mention that he is one helluva fighter, is going to terrorize many a defencemen. I think with a bit of work, we could turn him into a 3rd liner, and have both him and Martin in the lineup, when the going gets tough.

Nelson and Bailey doing solid, vet work. To me, they've kinda always been 1B type players, and we may have been too reliant on them in the past, as 1A types. They look more comfortable to me, in their current roles.

Not sure what I'm seeing with Pulock. He just looks...uncomfortable? IDK, he seems preoccupied, like he's on the same page as everyone else, just half a step slower. Just a complete wayoutofnowherecompletelyunsubstantiated possibility... is he feeling threatened by Dobson?

Just a real feel good win, given that we held the Peg to only 1 goal. And I am loving BT more and more. Just a class guy, seems to treat everyone like family, and is pretty dang smart.

LFGI!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: xECK29x

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I never said he has no shot at all, I said he has been a terrible shooter and until tonight, that was true (except in OT pond hockey). Let's hope he has turned a corner, but we'll need a larger sample size because we've seen this before. Little glimpses of brilliance followed by month long cold spells. As for his inability to stay on his feet, I'll admit to a bit of hyperbole, but it's not like it doesn't happen with some frequency, as in again tonight. The point is, you equate fair criticism with hatred, and that is just plain ridiculous. No one wants him to succeed more than I do. I love his attitude, I love the fun he brings to the game, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to get on him when he's stinking up the joint. As in the first 30 minutes of tonight's game. If that's hate in your mind, so be it.
Hyperbole-
I’d Say you dabble a lot more than a bit-

Not sure fair criticism and hyperbole can co-exist

I may be misremembering, but wasn’t it you saying his shot was “putrid” - I guess you are now pivoting to - he is not a great shooter.

Oh, wait I forgot this -

Reactions: PK Cronin and dood

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Hey they are 4-3 and they are missing forwards and having to play a lot of bottom 6 guys or minor league players

Isles are 8-1 in their last 9 wins with Boychuk on the ice
Isles are 0-6 in their last 6 losses with Boychuk off the ice

He anchors the team, when the puck is a hot potato and turnovers are amok,,, he settles things down for sure.

I like what I see in Wahlstrom, he is aggressive and entertaining... conversely Mr Dal Colle is not an NHL Player

Varlamov looks better than Lehner for sure

Our defensive 6 are very good although decision making at times is questionable

Kuhnackl has been an asset for sure

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If you had to guess % wise how many starts will varly and griess get for rest of season?

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Hyperbole-
I’d Say you dabble a lot more than a bit-

Not sure fair criticism and hyperbole can co-exist

I may be misremembering, but wasn’t it you saying his shot was “putrid” - I guess you are now pivoting to - he is not a great shooter.

Oh, wait I forgot this -

Hyperbole to make a point is perfectly fair and, yes, I did call his shooting putrid because that is what it was. As for your cherry picking videos again, I'm sure someone could go back through the archives and find Uncle Leo scoring on a slapper somewhere or going top shelf with a wrister. It doesn't mean he's a great shooter, it means he took great shots. When Barzy can start doing it consistently then I'll believe he has a great shot. Like I said, if you want to think I hate Barzal because I have leveled deserved criticism at him, knock yourself out. I know better.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Hyperbole to make a point is perfectly fair and, yes, I did call his shooting putrid because that is what it was. As for your cherry picking videos again, I'm sure someone could go back through the archives and find Uncle Leo scoring on a slapper somewhere or going top shelf with a wrister. It doesn't mean he's a great shooter, it means he took great shots. When Barzy can start doing it consistently then I'll believe he has a great shot. Like I said, if you want to think I hate Barzal because I have leveled deserved criticism at him, knock yourself out. I know better.
You said his shot was putrid (different than being a great shooter), and he proved tonight that it wasn't.

What else needs to be said?

Barzy's game is growing, and I'm sure there will be surprises for us fans, as we watch him evolve. So let's celebrate what looks like to be, an added weapon to his arsenal. Better for him, better for the team, better for us.

We all win. YAY

Reactions: SteveH124 and SI

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
It would be interesting to see Dobs at LHD, but I would hold off on that for a bit. Let him acclimatize to RHD first.

So you move B-chuk to his offside. He’s a vet, he’s smart and playing motivated. Leddy is such a waste as a 6 at his annual pay. And while Whalstrom is getting key play experience (imho raw D need more), Dobson is in the press box chatting w MM.

If they aren’t going to move a D man, send Dobson to Europe. It’s best for him and the team.

Reactions: xECK29x

SI

Feb 16, 2013
So you move B-chuk to his offside. He’s a vet, he’s smart and playing motivated. Leddy is such a waste as a 6 at his annual pay. And while Whalstrom is getting key play experience (imho raw D need more), Dobson is in the press box chatting w MM.

If they aren’t going to move a D man, send Dobson to Europe. It’s best for him and the team.
He’ll get in there - injuries do happen and he is 19.
Dobson spent a lot of time playing the LHD in juniors, so he can give some of the regulars rest.

Also, WJC training is about 5 weeks away -

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
He’ll get in there - injuries do happen and he is 19.
Dobson spent a lot of time playing the LHD in juniors, so he can give some of the regulars rest.

Also, WJC training is about 5 weeks away -

That’s 5 weeks. Just give it a try. Bchuk has scored from the left (actually on Varly last year). If Leddy was a lockdown defender, then I wouldn’t push.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
People who make up things about how he falls down all the time and doesn't possess a shot at all, those are haters because they're not true.
One of the times he fell tonight Varlamovliterally hugged him fo his defensive effort and bailing him out. He falls a lot because of the physicality of his game. I don't get the hate!

Reactions: dood

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Woke up in Europe this morning and watched the game delayed. Couple of thoughts...... Barzal shooting! We've been waiting for this for two years and now it is happening and making a huge difference in his game. Boychuck is quickly becoming a modern day Visnovsky with his wylie play and hustle. He's really slowed down and I fear him when he has to carry the puck but man what effort. Varlamov finally settling in. Dal Colle benched almost the entire third period. Not a good sign for him at all! He took a stupid penalty and turned the puck over way too much. You would have to think he would be on the bubble to be waived if they felt there was someone in BP that could help them. Overall a sloppy game which you would think would not bode well for a team that relies on structure particularly defensively. It's a sign of a winning culture. Maybe Lou does know something after all:):nod:

Last edited:

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
One of the times he fell tonight Varlamovliterally hugged him fo his defensive effort and bailing him out. He falls a lot because of the physicality of his game. I don't get the hate!
I believe that was Lee after a great back check.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Dog poop first 28 minutes with the almost constant turnovers, but a great road win the rest of the way. Really dominated the rest of the way.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Varly starting to show his value. .970 save % last night and up to .923% on the season. Barzal shooting more, looks good to me. :thumbu:

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I would say better.

Awful first period but showed signs of the shutdown team we saw last season.

Overall I think we’re trying to play too much of a finesse game. We don’t have to top end skill or speed to play like that.

Have to get back to the ugly dump and chase grind it out type of offense.

Good to see Barzal rewarded for shooting more. The last 2 seasons he would’ve tried to pass on his 2nd goal.

Varly looked much better. Calm and fluid. Better rebound control. Can’t fault him on the Ehlers goal. That was a rocket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad