GDT: #7| New York Islanders @ San Jose Sharks | October 20th | 10:30 PM | F/L 4-1

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Close your eyes folks. We have a “ battle
Level” cameo lol. Feels a lot better coming from a coach Like Trotz than a coach like cappy

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Always a great interview w Trotz. Agree completely; compete level wasn’t there tonight. For a team that is marginally talented, that can’t be the case. If it is, they will be a bottom 7 team.

I’m happy that Ebs is back w Barz. W a few games I expect them to start producing. Not at the clip of a year ago, but certainly more than what we are seeing. Barz is being zero’d in on, the opposition is stacking the blueline and anticipating his neutral zone maneuvers. Ebs has to help him, that said, Ebs is doing his Oiler floating act. This is the Jordan Eberle we heard so much about; didn’t see that a year ago.

Onward, these efforts should be the exception, not the norm.

BTW, I think we have our starter; Lehners been good.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
A

Ebs is doing his Oiler floating act. This is the Jordan Eberle we heard so much about; didn’t see that a year ago.

In a contract yr, I am expecting a lot more from Eberle.

When Lou is deciding who to keep, make it a tough decision for him.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
The Slew foot was dirty hockey, a player can really get hurt should he lose his helmet.
Marts was furious especially since it appears the ref confirmed the Slew foot, Marts was up like a jack in the box/frankly i thought he was going to fill in Burns right there but Burns decided to stay down?

2 game suspension is in order maybe more..it was deliberate..the lack of injury does not justify letting the Hillbilly off the hook...luckily no blade cut also from the Slew Kick.

This team has some Jam, the top 6 need to dig in and limit the cutesy stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: ndgolden

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
sloppy game for us.

half-assed effort, but it's been a long trip. glad they showed some snarl at the end. don't have to be jerks, but definitely need to send a msg to everyone. we ain't rolling over! Captain Lee style!!

wouldn't choose anyone for playing well, but wouldn't say anyone played particularly bad. just kind of a meh night. thought Pelech played better, less mistakes. i think that a few of our kids are subject to a bit of panic attacks, and making weak plays. but i believe that they will just get more comfortable and better as the season progresses.

the Lee-Nelson-Bailey line looked good. lots of possession, but i think they can be better, if we can get Nelson and Bailey playing with more grit.

thought Ladd and Barzal generated a few nice chances. passer and shooter combo, looking good. i don't think Ladd is a permanent solution, but seeing Barzy with a shooter, gives me goosebumps. stcik Lee with them, and it's nice combo, IMO.

Lee was our best guy, IMO. gotta get him signed long term, and get him together with Barzal and Wahlstrom, next year.

rough game, but we've had a rough schedule, to date. i would wait a bit more before taking any action (buy or sell).

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Lehner was awesome last night... none of the goals were stoppable. Switching Eberle and Bailey made a huge difference and the chemistry was almost immediately evident. Hopefully Trotz sticks with it because it would give the Isles 4 working lines.

Thomas Hickey is absolute trash and Mayfield/Pelech are 6-7 defensemen. This team needs to find a way to push Leddy/Boychuk/Pelech/Mayfield down in the pecking order and Thomas Hickey off a cliff. Toews and Dobson cannot get here fast enough. The forward group seems to be playing the system well, otherwise.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Beau if going to be out any longer, it’s time to give Dal Colle a try.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I thought the Nelson line was the best they've looked in a while and was really the only line producing any kind of offensive chances. They're still too slow though, and they lack a puck carrying threat. Each one of them is too easy to defend one on one.

There was more structure to the game, like less running around, than previous years...but the defensive coverage was atrocious most of the night. That third goal by Burns is an embarrassment for Eberle and Hickey. Didn't mind Lehner's game, as the team kind of hung him out to dry a little bit. Kuhnhackl wasn't noticeable at all, I'd definitely rather have Beauvillier. Komarov played decently well, he's just slow too.

It's a shame the Sharks got Kane, because I really like Thornton but I'm not sure I can root for that scumbag. Burns kicking out Martin's legs was disgraceful for a player like him. Just square up and fight, or just bear hug him. I had flashbacks to fight night against the Penguins when Martin looked like he was about to throw punches at a turtling Burns, but I'm glad he didn't and encouraged him to stand up. Not really sure why Clutterbuck and Cizikas got tossed, neither seemed too crazy. After that whole line got tossed I was thinking about who else was left to handle any funny business should it arise. We're pretty loaded with guys who will answer the bell if necessary, so at least there's that.

The sharks are obvious a more talented team and it showed. I'm still enjoying the structure, but this team is just all sorts of mediocre to bad right now. Barzal looked invisible for most of the night and seems to be struggling right now with how the opposition is defending him. Things get a lot harder when you're the guy, and you're the only guy.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Lehner was awesome last night... none of the goals were stoppable. Switching Eberle and Bailey made a huge difference and the chemistry was almost immediately evident. Hopefully Trotz sticks with it because it would give the Isles 4 working lines.

Thomas Hickey is absolute trash and Mayfield/Pelech are 6-7 defensemen. This team needs to find a way to push Leddy/Boychuk/Pelech/Mayfield down in the pecking order and Thomas Hickey off a cliff. Toews and Dobson cannot get here fast enough. The forward group seems to be playing the system well, otherwise.

I think in 40 games you will feel differently about Pelech, once he knows when to drive to the net, and act quicker with the puck behind the net, his game will tighten up and I think the coaching will get him there.

Mayfield is a 6/7, he can be clumsy and hasty and just shoots the puck whenever he feels like it.

Hickey is off to a very bad start, I think contract hangover, but his plus 5 against the Kings will pad his stats, right now Sbisa should be playing over him

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I thought the Nelson line was the best they've looked in a while and was really the only line producing any kind of offensive chances. They're still too slow though, and they lack a puck carrying threat. Each one of them is too easy to defend one on one.

There was more structure to the game, like less running around, than previous years...but the defensive coverage was atrocious most of the night. That third goal by Burns is an embarrassment for Eberle and Hickey. Didn't mind Lehner's game, as the team kind of hung him out to dry a little bit. Kuhnhackl wasn't noticeable at all, I'd definitely rather have Beauvillier. Komarov played decently well, he's just slow too.

It's a shame the Sharks got Kane, because I really like Thornton but I'm not sure I can root for that *******. Burns kicking out Martin's legs was disgraceful for a player like him. Just square up and fight, or just bear hug him. I had flashbacks to fight night against the Penguins when Martin looked like he was about to throw punches at a turtling Burns, but I'm glad he didn't and encouraged him to stand up. Not really sure why Clutterbuck and Cizikas got tossed, neither seemed too crazy. After that whole line got tossed I was thinking about who else was left to handle any funny business should it arise. We're pretty loaded with guys who will answer the bell if necessary, so at least there's that.

The sharks are obvious a more talented team and it showed. I'm still enjoying the structure, but this team is just all sorts of mediocre to bad right now. Barzal looked invisible for most of the night and seems to be struggling right now with how the opposition is defending him. Things get a lot harder when you're the guy, and you're the only guy.

I really believe that the Isles of 2018/19 have shown that one or two plays change the game

Against the Kings Boychuk breaking up the 2 on 1 turned the game around for good.... As for Sharks game, the non call of the interference on Filppula when Komarov drove to the net took passion out of the Isles, got some back with Nelson's goal, but then the Mayfield turnover deflated them

In all fairness, the Sharks are the first team we have played in like 20 years that after you play them you can name all 6 of their dmen because they are that good

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
I think in 40 games you will feel differently about Pelech, once he knows when to drive to the net, and act quicker with the puck behind the net, his game will tighten up and I think the coaching will get him there.

Mayfield is a 6/7, he can be clumsy and hasty and just shoots the puck whenever he feels like it.

Hickey is off to a very bad start, I think contract hangover, but his plus 5 against the Kings will pad his stats, right now Sbisa should be playing over him

Hickey hasent been good, however there are many times a game that he makes a decision or gets ride of the puck successfully, when most of the other Dmen on the team would have f***ed it up.

Sbisa is the worst defenceman on the team and its not close. He is the worst hockey player I have seen player this season for any team for any of the games I have watched.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Hickey hasent been good, however there are many times a game that he makes a decision or gets ride of the puck successfully, when most of the other Dmen on the team would have ****ed it up.

Sbisa is the worst defenceman on the team and its not close. He is the worst hockey player I have seen player this season for any team for any of the games I have watched.

Again, stop bringing up other players when talking about Hickey. Hickey is bad, Hickey should not have been resigned. Hickey had two awful plays that led to goals. But here you are talking about a defenseman who did not even play.

I'd rather have Sbisa play that game over Hickey by the way. He would not have gotten bodied like that.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Don't understand the hate towards Mayfield. He's better than Sbisa, Pelech, and, I dare to say, Hickey. He's already a servicable bottom-pair offensive defenseman. He's young enough and still has some upside.

Reactions: PWJunior

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Don't understand the hate towards Mayfield. He's better than Sbisa, Pelech, and, I dare to say, Hickey. He's already a servicable bottom-pair offensive defenseman. He's young enough and still has some upside.

Mayfield is an adequate 6 and has some offense and physicality to his game. I don't get it either.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

Not hate, it is just consistency that may never come with him, he is a 6/7, and he is not better than Pelech, I don't get the hate on Pelech I guess

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Hickey hasent been good, however there are many times a game that he makes a decision or gets ride of the puck successfully, when most of the other Dmen on the team would have ****ed it up.

Sbisa is far from terrible, hard to say if he has been the worst dman so far since we have only played elite teams thus far and we did see Luke Schenn who may be worse than him

Sbisa is an upgrade over Seids and should be the 7/8 but the way Hickey turns the puck over, he would be better today... Hickey has contract hangover, after all he was nearly out of the game when Garth Snow went behind the dumpster at Baci Ristorante and found him eating a left over zeppole

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad