GDT: 7 // Coyotes @ Flyers // What The Hell Is Going On? edition

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
True. But not having played the game does not automatically lead to the presumption that a person does not or cannot know the game. ;)

If you have not played the game, you may think you know the game but you don't, at least not at the level of a pro, no matter how much you watch. Just because I have read dozens of books and watched dozen of documentaries about heart transplants does not put me on the same level as a doctor who has had years of experience.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You guys are such pessimists. I know everyone needs a scape goat. Have you ever played in goal? LD knows more about goaltending than you ever will. I don't care if he's a starter or a backup-- if he's in the NHL, he knows netminding.

Not a pessimists, but agree with the rest. ;)

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Three Memorial Cups, seven years in the big show, states the obvious.

The Doan - Iginla - Nash line was killer.

Side note. The 1995 Memorial Cup All Star team:

Goal: Jason Saal, Detroit
Defence: Nolan Baumgartner, Kamloops; Bryan McCabe, Brandon
Centre: Darcy Tucker, Kamloops
Left wing: Sean Haggerty, Detroit
Right wing: Shane Doan, Kamloops

Not an All-Star, but a really swell guy...George Parsons Trophy (Sportsmanship): Jarome Iginla, Kamloops

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If you have not played the game, you may think you know the game but you don't, at least not at the level of a pro, no matter how much you watch. Just because I have read dozens of books and watched dozen of documentaries about heart transplants does not put me on the same level as a doctor who has had years of experience.

For god's sake, hockey is not heart surgery. What separates a professional hockey, basketball, football, or baseball player from those who don't make it to that level is purely physical ability. There are plenty of extremely smart, intuitive players who never make the Big Show because they aren't big, fast, or strong enough. And there are plenty of professional players who have long careers because their physical gifts make up for the fact that they have a ten-cent head.

There's a hoary aphorism out there that says, "Those who can't do, teach." That's very true in many cases, but it's also true in many cases that some of the best coaches and strategists in sports have been people who didn't have a pro career first. The reason why? Because they are able to think the game or sport on a separate level from the playing field. They are able to divorce themselves from the conventional wisdom and exploit unconsidered avenues. Look at what Theo Epstein has done in his career as a baseball GM.

How much validity you ascribe to the opinions of professional players and coaches is up to you. In my experience, there is no such thing as a sacrosanct authority that cannot be challenged.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
For god's sake, hockey is not heart surgery. What separates a professional hockey, basketball, football, or baseball player from those who don't make it to that level is purely physical ability. There are plenty of extremely smart, intuitive players who never make the Big Show because they aren't big, fast, or strong enough. And there are plenty of professional players who have long careers because their physical gifts make up for the fact that they have a ten-cent head.

There's a hoary aphorism out there that says, "Those who can't do, teach." That's very true in many cases, but it's also true in many cases that some of the best coaches and strategists in sports have been people who didn't have a pro career first. The reason why? Because they are able to think the game or sport on a separate level from the playing field. They are able to divorce themselves from the conventional wisdom and exploit unconsidered avenues. Look at what Theo Epstein has done in his career as a baseball GM.

How much validity you ascribe to the opinions of professional players and coaches is up to you. In my experience, there is no such thing as a sacrosanct authority that cannot be challenged.

Somewhat agree with that. Many players don't even know the rules very well.

Exhibit A:

Dougie-Hamilton.jpg

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London

Ken Hitchcock and Scotty Bowman never played pro...

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Always best to challenge with some modicum of intelligence however.

I always do, and I never challenge as a knee-jerk reaction. I also prefer to engage in civil discussion and debate rather than take the lazy route, even if I think someone is full of crap, and if I end up being wrong I am happy to admit it.

I recognize that this is a bit of an archaic position in the social media age, but there are two unassailable facts about humanity I've learned in my life: one, that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts, and two, that nobody sees reality in precisely the same way as everyone else.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
In fairness to Jakey..... they did at least play the game.

The law of averages would dictate that having played and increasing levels of play will increase knowledge.

I think Hitch has the same few years of house league hockey experience that I do. That basic playing experience does not give me any special insight into the game that I feel any non-player enthusiast would have. Just sayin.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We need a separate thread for *****ing off at each other....and now back to the game. Domi and Duclair both look ready to break out. I'm really worried about Stone. Concussions are tricky (if that's what he has).

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I think Hitch has the same few years of house league hockey experience that I do. That basic playing experience does not give me any special insight into the game that I feel any non-player enthusiast would have. Just sayin.

If true (would imagine he has more), I'm guessing he certainly has done more with it.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

Same. I find it hard to believe that hockey is too difficult and nuanced to understand without having played in the NHL. That's ridiculous. At the same time, I'd not suggest that Hitchcock is no smarter than me based on our skating experience, but I don't think anyone or their decisions are beyond questioning just because they are an NHL coach.
This idea that the game is too complicated or nuanced for people who never skated is just a small play on the main "you're an idiot" theme running through the threads from a small group of posters in whose view professionals have never made mistakes and are beyond the criticism of mere mortals. Except, ironically enough, the professional skaters who aren't executing...

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We need a separate thread for *****ing off at each other....

Seconded (if only so I can put it on my ignore list :D)

I'm really worried about Stone. Concussions are tricky (if that's what he has).

I haven't seen a roster move yet and they're playing tomorrow, so I'm hoping that the "upper body injury" isn't a head injury. I think (hope?) they'd have already called McBain back up if he had a concussion...

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I always do, and I never challenge as a knee-jerk reaction. I also prefer to engage in civil discussion and debate rather than take the lazy route, even if I think someone is full of crap, and if I end up being wrong I am happy to admit it.

I recognize that this is a bit of an archaic position in the social media age, but there are two unassailable facts about humanity I've learned in my life: one, that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but not their own facts, and two, that nobody sees reality in precisely the same way as everyone else.

re·al·i·ty
rēˈalədē/
noun
the world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.

You're confusing opinion with reality.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Always best to challenge with some modicum of intelligence however.

I too would like it all, but am intelligent enough to know reality.

If true (would imagine he has more), I'm guessing he certainly has done more with it.

You're guessing or your certain? Can't be both... :sarcasm:

Three of your last four posts are basically the same routine: "You're not smart enough to have an opinion. I'm smarter than you."

Strong argument. Very convincing. :shakehead

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
PHP:

No, it's true. There are no records of Ken Hitchcock playing any hockey at all. His dad was a coach and he was a water boy and learned the game that way. Not by being a player. Had a ton of exposure to hockey - just not as a player.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
You're guessing or your certain? Can't be both... :sarcasm:

Three of your last four posts are basically the same routine: "You're not smart enough to have an opinion. I'm smarter than you."

Strong argument. Very convincing. :shakehead

Can't be certain, fallenleaves may be an NHL coach for all I know.

Everyone can have an opinion, there is only one reality. I am smarter than many regarding some things and woefully ignorant regarding others. What I don't do is try to act like I know that which I don't. Additionally, I don't hit panic mode when things go in a direction I don't like.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
PHP:

No, it's true. There are no records of Ken Hitchcock playing any hockey at all. His dad was a coach and he was a water boy and learned the game that way. Not by being a player. Had a ton of exposure to hockey - just not as a player.

Then it's not true..... as the above states he did not play at all and you have house league experience. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00