Prospect Info: #7 - Clayton Keller

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We need size. We are getting a little small upfront.

Agreed. It's the reason I had Brown ahead.

The pass he made at U18's cross ice was a thing of beauty though. She me times you just draft the most talented guys. This is a Briere type pick. He's that skilled.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Pittsburgh win the cup while being pretty small up front. League is transitioning more towards speed and skill.

The lack of skill is worrying though, we pretty much need Perlini and Fischer to become productive players

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I think this pick is ultimately going to replace Perlini. Just a guess

Yep, they just got Strome the winger he needs, this pick was the best thing they could have done for the team looking to the future

Word in Windsor is they are expecting him to play there next year, Arizona should be pushing for him to and with his buddy Brown pulling him there as well, they are pretty confident thats the way he will end up going

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pittsburgh win the cup while being pretty small up front. League is transitioning more towards speed and skill.

The lack of skill is worrying though, we pretty much need Perlini and Fischer to become productive players

Not all will pan out. We have Strome and Dvorak this year, and maybe a suprise like Martinook last year.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
He's almost another Max Domi. Maybe faster, maybe not as much character.

He plays a lot like Jayden Schwartz. Gets around better though. High hockey IQ with the puck, unbelievable vision. My wish list headed into this draft was one of Brown, Keller, or Jost. Thrilled with this pick.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I thought for sure coming back and reading the boards that everyone would be thrilled with Keller. He's got everything we want but size.

From a pure skill standpoint, he's on par with anyone in the draft. I thought for sure they'd take Nylander or Brown, but I'm thrilled to get Keller.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not ready to give up on Perlini yet. All that skill with size is worth a longer development/look.

I agree, and I'm happy we have not traded any young top end assets, although we might if we want another top 4 Dman.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I don't see that as a good fit. Both like to control the play and thread difficult passes.

Strome doesn't control play anywhere near as good as Keller until possession is already established in the offensive zone, which is what Keller is awesome at doing

Strome likes to get his shot off from around the hash marks to the top of the circle.... a place that Keller is amazing at threading passes to

Strome lacks speed for forechecking, something Keller doesn't and should make breakouts much easier for Strome's line

Strome's IQ and ability to be in the right place should make him an awesome center for Keller who's ability to find rushing or open teammates is near the best in this draft

Strome has thrived with fast puck carrying line mates his entire Jr career so far whether it be Mcdavid, Debrincat , even his short stint with Marner etc... don't see how making sure you got him one in the NHL as well wouldn't seem like a good fit... at least until he shows he can maintain his productive play without one....

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Keller wasn't on my radar but I see the logic in picking him. Glad we didn't trade OEL, Domi, Dvorak, or one/two of the other good players we have for Matthews.

Edit: Nothing says we have to have Strome and Keller on the same line. Could split them between 1st and 2nd line if needed.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Keller is all about prolific production everywhere he goes. The same analytical approach that lead Chayka to recommend Strome last year is what went into this pick.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
For those of us that wanted Marner last year , this pick should make up for it .

Though I am a little worried about the college thing . What are the rules regarding walking as a UFA?

I would hate to have something like that happen

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
For those of us that wanted Marner last year , this pick should make up for it .

Though I am a little worried about the college thing . What are the rules regarding walking as a UFA?

I would hate to have something like that happen

I don't see him playing a period in the NCAA, Winsor all the way

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I love both of these picks. 53OA was gravy. GMDM was killed for hesitating on Hamilton last year, GMJC didn't hestitate...he jumped and made the deal that had to be made.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
By drafting him, Coyotes own his rights in North America until the summer after his incoming freshman class graduates, which would be summer of 2020. We will have until 30 days after he graduates / leaves school to ink him to a deal. If he signs a pro contract, he's done in the NCAA's and it's either CHL or AHL (preferably the former) for him. Good news is that he wasn't drafted out of the CHL, so the "NHL or CHL" rule doesn't apply to him, and there's a bit more flexibility about where he plays. Kids taken this high rarely forego "getting paid" for a full 4 years, it's typically undrafted kids who grow and develop in NCAA's ... or complete ****-bag piece of ****** ****ing ****** like Blake Wheeler.

Exceedingly likely that he forgoes BU, signs a pro contract with the Coyotes, heads to Windsor next season, tears it up with his buddy Brown and then gets a serious look at camp in September 2017.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
For those of us that wanted Marner last year , this pick should make up for it.

I like Keller better than Marner. There, I said it. (Like the Candyman, if two more people repeat it the Leafs fans will appear to attack us.)

I'm not too worried about the college UFA thing. The team that will greet Keller if he decides to stay all four years is going to be much different than the one that was going to greet Blake Wheeler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad