Weight: 164
Shoots: L
Birthday: 7-29-98

NHL comparison: Patrick Kane

Ranked #9 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #12 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #7 by Future Considerations
Ranked #11 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #9 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #8 by TSN/McKenzie

Keller is a strong, shifty skater with a powerful shot, displaying brilliance and hockey sense strikingly similar to what Marner brings to the ice. And while Marner is a winger, Keller is equally adept at bringing you out of your seat while leaving amazed opponents on the very edge of theirs. He’s schooled amateurs of all ages — U.S. college seniors, European stars, NHL-bound Canadian juniors; it doesn’t matter. He’s a hard-nosed, fearless player with a lot of flash, but he’s been Team USA’s leader and go-to option for every critical situation – defensive zone draws, killing penalties, gaining entry into the offensive zone, etc. Does he have franchise potential? We’ll let you judge for yourself, but keep in mind he’s nearly produced as much as Jack Eichel and Auston Matthews did with the NTDP. Keller is also nearly a year younger than Matthews, who set the NTDP scoring record a year ago with 117 points. If Keller keep his current pace for the rest of the season and through the 2016 U18 tournament, he’ll come close to matching him.

Strengths:
Vision
Playmaking abilities
Good in tight space
Powerful, accurate passing
Skating agility
Hockey smarts
Creating scoring chances
Puck handling skills
Puck protection

Under Construction (Improvements to Make):
Play around the net
Doesn’t get involved in the physical part of the game

http://thehockeywriters.com/clayton-keller-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/

Craig Button TSN - March 22, 2016 - "Clayton Keller (No. 8) is an excellent player who has the skills, brain, competitiveness and confidence to not only impact the game, but to also dictate significant portions of offensive play. The U.S. NTDP centre has panorama vision - there is no play he doesn’t see and he is always dangerous even when it may appear that he isn’t. Keller controls the game and brings out the best abilities of those he plays with."

Damien Cox of Sportsnet - January 13, 2016 - "Disappointed that he was final cut from the American world juniors team. Has 63 points in 32 games."

Future Considerations - November 2015 - "A small but highly dynamic playmaker that is not afraid to go to the greasy areas for a scoring chance. He skates well with the ability to rocket down the ice and add a quick lateral burst to get through a hole when required. Has very impressive vision and ability to pick up options all over the ice all while maintaining possession and protecting the puck. Is a 100% effort player who rarely takes a shift off. Also possesses a pin-point shot that he hits his mark with when in a position to score. A very dangerous offensive player who has definite top six NHL potential."

Bill Placzek - Smaller with a high skill set. A high speed player who acquires pucks and can generate chances for linemates almost instantaneously. Has seen time of the PK besides the PP. he is agile and the high level at which he can control the puck at top speed is a joy to watch. On his carries, he can go from the perimeter to the greasy areas and see his options and make plays. Has an excellent release and shot. Both confident and patient with the biscuit.
Fours S’s apply to this St. Louis area-Illinois born prospect: Speed, smarts, skill and small. There is no question that playing along side Kieffer Bellows (and Joey Anderson) has given him more room to improve as a player. Needs to get much stronger in his climb up the ladder rungs. Committed to Boston University.

Last edited:

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Would have preferred Segachev (or a d-man), but great ****ing pick Chayka!!!!

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Great pick, Arizona. I fell in love with Keller as a prospect, and I was so sure we would get him at 10. I hope he does right by you guys because he is an absolutely awesome player.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm happy they went with a forward with this pick. Would've preferred to trade the pick but adding more skill to our pool never hurts. Now go get some defense!

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Chayka with a small (pun intended) reach with his first ever pick. Wonder if he plays in Windsor next year.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Interesting to say the least, I guess we'll see in three years- maybe... I'm a little too impatient at this point at watching "development" players develop.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I like Keller a whole lot. Skill and vision up the wazoo

Also, props to Pho who had him ranked real high

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Tipp did great evaluating Turris and his readiness, so I can see no way this goes badly. ;)

Would rather have Brown, but I'm glad they didn't reach (imo)for a D there. A lot of people smarter than me have Keller over Brown, so we'll see how it turns out.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
His vision on the ice looks otherworldly, those U-18 clips are amazing

I hate this pick for a lot of reasons. This being one of them

I don't think this will be a problem. 4 years is a long time for a guy as skilled as him. I think he's a one and done. Rights are also owned by Winsor, could be convicned to go win a memorial cup with a former teammate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad