Prospect Info: #7 - Clayton Keller

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
FWIW- BU STH here...
That break away against Denver was against Will Butcher, one of the best defenseman in the country.

Overall, Keller has looked a little frustrated. I think he is used to having his way, even against older players, and he really hasn't dominated yet. There is obvious speed and flash, but I think he needs more time to gel with line mates. Recently moved away from Kiefer Bellows and skating with Jordan Greenway and Patrick Harper. But it's really only been about three weeks of official practices. Even so, Keller obviously thinks the game at a very high level and has filthy hands, especially round the net. If he settles in with a couple linemates, I think we see great production as the season progresses. It's early, even in the CHL!

Some of you guys might want to embrace the NCAA players a bit more- they aren't going away and represent some of the best talent in the world. At any given time, Keller will be on the ice with 3, 4, or 5 teammates who are also NHL draft picks (BU has 11 draft picks). On most nights, he will be matched up against similarly drafted opponents. Further, Keller has to play against high end talent comparable to the CHL, but the rest of NCAA lineups are not populated by 16/17 year old kids who weigh 150 pounds. Instead, there are 22,23 year olds who are more physically mature, more experienced, and play a more NHL style game. Many NCAA programs, and certainly BU, are highly regarded for their preparation of players headed to the NHL. Windsor, London, et al. can suck it. It's become a yearly tradition for some CHL GM to start spreading rumors about NCAA players defecting to Canada. Whiners.
I really like NCAA hockey, I think overall we've just been burned by wheeler before so we're a little gunshy about a high end college draft puck bailing on us. Hopefully BU and some of the other powerhouses start playing ASU so we can see the high end NHL talent in person. Also like to echo the thanks and please post more comments from the other posters, the more info we hear about keller the better.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
NCAA Hockey is incredibly entertaining. It's definitely a tougher style if hockey than the CHL IMO. Mainly just because that's the type/quality of player the NCAA generally attracts. In theory I like the NCAA better for Keller's development because of it, but he should also be able to out skate everyone

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
NCAA Hockey is incredibly entertaining. It's definitely a tougher style if hockey than the CHL IMO. Mainly just because that's the type/quality of player the NCAA generally attracts. In theory I like the NCAA better for Keller's development because of it, but he should also be able to out skate everyone

The CHL is better for skill, the NCAA is better for the body. It's not super hard to figure out why. Good college hockey teams are entertaining, but the average and below ones are not.

I think Keller was fixated on the college experience a bit, which is fine and his choice. Just hope he isn't a pain to sign after this year.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Keller says he stuck with BU because he recruited a bunch of other players there and basically didn't want to ditch them.

RoughEmUp

Sep 5, 2007
Keller may have a knee injury (MCL). Hurt it in 3rd vs. Northeastern last night on an awkward twist behind the net. Early word is one month. Just when he was really starting to dominate. Had a beautiful steal for a shortie Friday night and a couple pretty assists last night. Was becoming routinely electric.

BU has about ten games in that span- 2 each vs Michigan, Providence, UCONN, and UVM, one each vs Harvard and Yale (12/13/16). I think Keller also would have been expected for WJC in late December. BU's next game after Yale is 1/5/17 vs Union, which starts up second half of season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Silver lining of a knee injury is that it'll remind him of his sporting mortality, making him more likely to sign after one year.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I was just thinking that will Keller play in the NHL next year? He was looking good in the WJC. He looks like poor mans Patty Kane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad