Injury Report: 7/15 update | Crosby will not have wrist surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Exactly. It's not even the fact it is his dominant hand though. Some guys have their dominant hand on the bottom, but the top hand is what does a majority of the work.

Ideally the surgery would have been on his left wrist.

This is debatable. If we are talking about the power of his shot, this is BETTER. The top hand controls stick handling more-so than the bottom hand, but shooting and power is the bottom hand.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yes, everyone is probably dealing something but it's a question of degree. Some injuries are worse than others and affect their games more than others.

I agree.

Maatta having major surgery on his shoulder is an excuse for somebody's poor play during the playoffs.

Somebody having wrist therapy for 2 months after the season while training for the upcoming season isn't an excuse for somebody's poor play IMO.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Crosby should be able to dominate with a bum wrist and Brian Gibbons. Best player in the world and all that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Have you ever taken a pass from a pro hockey player? The pain he felt every time he took a pass was probably off the charts. Receiving a pass, shooting, passing, stick handling are integral parts of his game and a "terrible wrist" injury is going to cause utter agony every time you do those things. Spraying doesn't help very much. All you can do is try to ignore the pain, but it's impossible.

A wrist injury is one of the worst injuries a hockey player can have, especially a skilled guy. When you hurt a knee, ankle, shoulder, etc, there are ways to compensate, but there is no way to do that with a wrist.

Perfectly said.

I'd rather be dealing with a half-blown knee than a bad wrist, TBH. When you are trying to handle the puck and your wrist sounds like a hyperactive, broken metronome and you are seeing flashes of light due to the constant stabbing pain... the mostly-torn ACL seems pretty comfy, in comparison.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Have you ever taken a pass from a pro hockey player? The pain he felt every time he took a pass was probably off the charts. Receiving a pass, shooting, passing, stick handling are integral parts of his game and a "terrible" wrist injury is going to cause utter agony every time you do those things. Spraying doesn't help very much. All you can do is try to ignore the pain, but it's impossible.

A wrist injury is one of the worst injuries a hockey player can have, especially a skilled guy. When you hurt a knee, ankle, shoulder, etc, there are ways to compensate, but there is no way to do that with a wrist.

I'm not saying Crosby wasn't hurt, i'm sure it bothered him.

Sid trained for the last 2 months with this injury, if it was really bothering him that much he wouldn't of been training with it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't get the standard "everyone is hurt in the playoffs" mentality. I'm sure not every player is hurt. Some haven't played the whole season, others haven't played a lot of minutes or are perimeter players and never get hurt, etc. I find it hard to believe that every single player in this years playoffs was injured.

Most players are banged up, but having an injury to your wrist, knees, or ankles are about the worst.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I agree.

Maatta having major surgery on his shoulder is an excuse for somebody's poor play during the playoffs.

Somebody having wrist therapy for 2 months after the season while training for the upcoming season isn't an excuse for somebody's poor play IMO.

If you say so.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Sid trained for the last 2 months with this injury, if it was really bothering him that much he wouldn't of been training with it.

It's a pain tolerance thing. You can play through a number of injuries, but one of the most painful injuries to play through as a hockey player is a wrist injury. It is pure agony. You can take shifts with bad knees, ankles, a bum shoulder, etc and manage the pain by compensating/protecting the injury. There is literally not one shift you don't feel the agonizing pain in your wrist unless you avoid the puck. I can assure you the pain is unreal.

Sid is obviously tough as hell, but that doesn't change the fact that a bad wrist would dramatically effect him. He is human, not a cyborg.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

How do you know he was doing strenuous exercise with his wrist during these 2 months? Maybe he was specifically avoiding doing workouts that would strain the wrist while focusing on rehabbing it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Dr. Cheese Danish 87.

unrelated: I wish HFBoards would remove the quote button.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
How do you know he was doing strenuous exercise with his wrist during these 2 months? Maybe he was specifically avoiding doing workouts that would strain the wrist while focusing on rehabbing it.

I wasn't watching his workout, so i guess i can't say for sure.

Bottom line is we heard from Sid Mario JR DB and other pens players who got asked what was wrong with Sid in there interviews, none of them even hinted that a injury had any effect on Sid's performance.

I'm sorry i just don't buy that this injury is anything more then what most players go through during the playoffs.

I'm sure Sid will get asked about this sometime in the summer or in training camp and i'l bet he will be the first one to admit that this wasn't an excuse for his playoff performance.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Probably why he played like crap during the playoffs. Good news is its just minor and he'll be ready to go for training camp.

Absolutely. A lot of people were criticizing his play in the playoffs, but many people had an inkling that this guy was not 100%. Makes sense now. Wish Crosby a great recovery.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Every player plays through injuries during the playoffs, if it was a broken wrist i could understand his terrible performance in the playoffs, but this injury doesn't excuse his terrible play IMO.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was on the main board reading a response from a Flyers fan. :shakehead

Are you for real? I get that you were Bylsma's biggest defender and wanted to blame everyone but Bylsma, but come on. The guy ended up needing surgery on the wrist. Injuries that aren't "that bad" don't require you to go under the knife.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This thread... pretty funny stuff, all around.

Aside from the obvious going on right up there ^ -- I also took great delight in seeing that the guy who was loudly and obnoxiously banging the "trade Crosby" drum (predicated on his "unacceptable" playoff performance) say he "wasn't surprised" that Crosby was injured all along. Golden.

switch23

Sep 22, 2010
If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was on the main board reading a response from a Flyers fan. :shakehead

Are you for real? I get that you were Bylsma's biggest defender and wanted to blame everyone but Bylsma, but come on. The guy ended up needing surgery on the wrist. Injuries that aren't "that bad" don't require you to go under the knife.

Seriously though, just because your username is _____87 doesn't mean you're a fan :laugh:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I wasn't watching his workout, so i guess i can't say for sure.

Bottom line is we heard from Sid Mario JR DB and other pens players who got asked what was wrong with Sid in there interviews, none of them even hinted that a injury had any effect on Sid's performance.

I'm sorry i just don't buy that this injury is anything more then what most players go through during the playoffs.

I'm sure Sid will get asked about this sometime in the summer or in training camp and i'l bet he will be the first one to admit that this wasn't an excuse for his playoff performance.

Because Sid is a proud athlete and doesn't want to use an injury as an excuse. Just because he isn't using it as an excuse doesn't mean it didn't negatively affect his play. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

I'm a Sid fan, look at the numbers on my username, just because i'm a sid fan doesn't mean im going to defend him no matter what.

Lebron James has had bad playoff seasons, Payton manning has played poor in the playoffs, Clayton Kershaw has bad games.

The best players in the world don't always perform at a high level, i realize Sid fans love him and will defend him not matter what, but the guy has bad games sometimes, its not always coaching linemates injuries or the refs fault, sometimes its just Sid playing bad.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm a Sid fan, look at the numbers on my username, just because i'm a sid fan doesn't mean im going to defend him no matter what.

Lebron James has had bad playoff seasons, Payton manning has played poor in the playoffs, Clayton Kershaw has bad games.

The best players in the world don't always perform at a high level, i realize Sid fans love him and will defend him not matter what, but the guy has bad games sometimes, its not always coaching linemates injuries or the refs fault, sometimes its just Sid playing bad.

Yes sometimes Sid does play bad, but when he is shooting muffins, deferring great scoring opportunities to pass the puck, and seen on the bench getting his wrist sprayed, I'd say his injury is impacting his play. Then he is having surgery on it. Yeah, I guess it's more reasonable to assume that Sid just had an off month and forgot how to shoot a hockey puck. Oh yeah, and his faceoff % was 47.5 versus 52.5 for the season. He hasn't had a faceoff % that low in years (even in the playoffs). So all signs point to wrist injury affecting his play.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I also took great delight in seeing that the guy who was loudly and obnoxiously banging the "trade Crosby" drum (predicated on his "unacceptable" playoff performance) say he "wasn't surprised" that Crosby was injured all along. Golden.

Ya, that's good **** right there.

Lots of people are looking quite stupid right now.

I read a number of article comments suggesting they should strip Crosby's C and one idiot on the radio saying to replace him with Dupuis as the captain (you can't even make **** this stupid up).

But ya, the trade Crosby stuff is easily the most asinine stuff I have ever seen on these boards, and that as you know is quite the statement.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Because Sid is a proud athlete and doesn't want to use an injury as an excuse. Just because he isn't using it as an excuse doesn't mean it didn't negatively affect his play. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Why hasn't anybody from the team mentioned this injury then?

Don't you think if something was wrong they would of came out after the season rather then letting Sid out to dry to take criticism from the media.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Why hasn't anybody from the team mentioned this injury then?

Don't you think if something was wrong they would of came out after the season rather then letting Sid out to dry to take criticism from the media.

Because the team is insanely secretive about injuries. Maatta struggled down the stretch as well. I'm sure fatigue was a part of it but his shoulder injury likely played a part as well. I didn't see the team saying anything about that injury being a reason for his play.

You are looking long and hard to try to downplay this injury. Not only that, no one here is saying that Sid's injury is the only reason he sucked. He still should have been better. I don't see anyone denying that.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yes sometimes Sid does play bad, but when he is shooting muffins, deferring great scoring opportunities to pass the puck, and seen on the bench getting his wrist sprayed, I'd say his injury is impacting his play. Then he is having surgery on it. Yeah, I guess it's more reasonable to assume that Sid just had an off month and forgot how to shoot a hockey puck.

Based on Sid's standards he looked slow as hell in the playoffs, that has nothing to do with his wrist.

His decision making was terrible, he was trying to pass the puck through 3 players on the PP during the playoffs, trying to pass the puck through 3 players has nothing to do with his wrist injury.

If he could't play at a high level then he shouldn't of played.

Even Madden who is one of the biggest Crosby fans on the planet said its not a good excuse.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Based on Sid's standards he looked slow as hell in the playoffs, that has nothing to do with his wrist.

His decision making was terrible, he was trying to pass the puck through 3 players on the PP during the playoffs, trying to pass the puck through 3 players has nothing to do with his wrist injury.

If he could't play at a high level then he shouldn't of played.

Even Madden who is one of the biggest Crosby fans on the planet said its not a good excuse.

Trying to pass the puck through 3 players instead of shooting it when he had an open lane DOES have something to do with his wrist injury. Anyway, he needed to be better, he looked injured and it turns out he WAS injured. He still needed to be better regardless of injury. Not much else to discuss really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce