Post-Game Talk: 7-0 Sharks; Series Tired 2-2

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
This series definitely exposes some of the dead weight we have on our roster, most of which can be addressed in the offseason. At this rate it might take a 1st round add-on for LV to take Pouliot lol.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah remember how much momentum we had in Game 6 in 2006? How quickly that went away? We had all the momentum going into game 4 and that changed on a dime. Every single game in the playoffs is its own entity. You think the Sharks are going to score 4 PP goals on 8 PP chances every game?

Put a couple AHLers in the game (Fayne/Lander) and you're throwing the series. Both are not NHLers. When was the last time Fayne played in the NHL? 2015?

We also didn't win game 6 7-0--they didn't pull their goaltender. It also wasn't a tight series leading up to that game. We still only have 5 goals in 4 games. Keeping the same roster would be idiocy IMO.

Fayne and Lander played in Edmonton this year. When Lander was sent down our PK suffered.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We also didn't win game 6 7-0--they didn't pull their goaltender. It also wasn't a tight series leading up to that game. We still only have 5 goals in 4 games. Keeping the same roster would be idiocy IMO.

Fayne and Lander played in Edmonton this year. When Lander was sent down our PK suffered.

We very well could've won that game 7-0. We blew the Canes out of the arena. Everyone was saying how charged the Oilers were.

The series is 2-2. Make the changes when it's 0-3. You go with what got you here. Fayne played 4 games. Okay. So? It's nothing. He was filler. Same with Lander.

Tell me how good the PK was between March and the end of the regular season, without Lander.

These are panic moves. Putting in AHLers does not help. Lander has never played an NHL playoff game and you want to put him in when all he does is win faceoffs? Why? Faceoffs are important but you don't put in dead weight just to win a few more faceoffs.

Fayne is done as an NHLer. That's just how it is. If you take out Benning you put in Gryba. Fayne is a downgrade.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We very well could've won that game 7-0. We blew the Canes out of the arena. Everyone was saying how charged the Oilers were.

The series is 2-2. Make the changes when it's 0-3. You go with what got you here. Fayne played 4 games. Okay. So? It's nothing. He was filler. Same with Lander.

Tell me how good the PK was between March and the end of the regular season, without Lander.

These are panic moves. Putting in AHLers does not help. Lander has never played an NHL playoff game and you want to put him in when all he does is win faceoffs? Why? Faceoffs are important but you don't put in dead weight just to win a few more faceoffs.

Fayne is done as an NHLer. That's just how it is. If you take out Benning you put in Gryba. Fayne is a downgrade.

AHLers are hockey players too, you know. Some AHLers are better than some NHLers--that's just how it is. Some AHLers are there because the team can't afford their salary on the team.

David Desharnais has been the definition of filler in this series. He's a 5'7 center who doesn't win face-offs and loses more puck battles than he wins. He also doesn't PK. His 10 minutes can be better utilized by someone else.

Benning looks tired and for whatever reason couldn't hold onto his bloody stick last game. That pairing has been getting victimized and although Benning has thrown a few big hits this series, he's been very close to giving up position because of them. Fayne has playoff experience and is probably one of those AHLers that is more reliable than Matt Benning today.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
AHLers are hockey players too, you know. Some AHLers are better than some NHLers--that's just how it is. Some AHLers are there because the team can't afford their salary on the team.

David Desharnais has been the definition of filler in this series. He's a 5'7 center who doesn't win face-offs and loses more puck battles than he wins. He also doesn't PK. His 10 minutes can be better utilized by someone else.

Benning looks tired and for whatever reason couldn't hold onto his bloody stick last game. That pairing has been getting victimized and although Benning has thrown a few big hits this series, he's been very close to giving up position because of them. Fayne has playoff experience and is probably one of those AHLers that is more reliable than Matt Benning today.

Yes, AHLers are hockey players. That doesn't make them NHLers. Lander isn't nor never has been an NHLer. He's a cheaper Boyd Gordon with 1/10 of the offense.

Fayne last played in the playoffs in 2012. Larsson barely played that year. One has trended up and the other has trended down. Fayne is a #7 at most.

I mean, the Condors weren't even that good but suddenly Lander/Fayne are the difference between winning and losing this series?

The Oilers wingers aren't scoring so why don't we bring in Pulu? That makes sense, right?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yes, AHLers are hockey players. That doesn't make them NHLers. Lander isn't nor never has been an NHLer. He's a cheaper Boyd Gordon with 1/10 of the offense.

Fayne last played in the playoffs in 2012. Larsson barely played that year. One has trended up and the other has trended down. Fayne is a #7 at most.

I mean, the Condors weren't even that good but suddenly Lander/Fayne are the difference between winning and losing this series?

The Oilers wingers aren't scoring so why don't we bring in Pulu? That makes sense, right?

We don't need Lander for offense, we'd need him for defense! To cycle, maintain possession and prevent goals against! Desharnais isn't doing that! He has one bloody shot in four games! Answer me this. What does David Desharnais do?

And where did I say anything about those two being the difference in the series? They are there to provide support to a PK that took a cannon ball to the dick last game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We don't need Lander for offense, we'd need him for defense! To cycle, maintain possession and prevent goals against! Desharnais isn't doing that! He has one bloody shot in four games! Answer me this. What does David Desharnais do?

And where did I say anything about those two being the difference in the series? They are there to provide support to a PK that took a cannon ball to the dick last game.

DD at least provides some offense. Something we need.

They allowed 3 goals in 3 games prior to the last game. Which do you think is the norm? The team that was top 10 in GA all year or the team that gave up a touchdown last game?

Lander wins faceoffs. That's all he does. We have RNH/McDavid for centers killing penalties who can actually make plays.

Lander provides zero offense. Zip. Nada. He's an invalid.

One other thing to keep in mind, this is likely the roster that's going to be here next year. Fayne and Lander won't be anywhere near the team. Let them ride it out.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

They allowed 3 goals in 3 games prior to the last game. Which do you think is the norm? The team that was top 10 in GA all year or the team that gave up a touchdown last game?

Lander wins faceoffs. That's all he does. We have RNH/McDavid for centers killing penalties who can actually make plays.

One other thing to keep in mind, this is likely the roster that's going to be here next year. Fayne and Lander won't be anywhere near the team. Let them ride it out.

DD provides zero offense. Zip zero nada. He hasn't scored a point since March 16th and he has one shot on goal in the entire series and is a -2. He's a 5'7 little squirt who probably won't get offered an NHL contract next season. So now that that's out of the way, what else does he offer?

Also our centers for killing penalties are RNH and Letestu, not McDavid. McDavid is used very sparingly because Todd McLellan doesn't have a deathwish. Letestu and Lander were used heavily on the PK early on in the year.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Desharnais isn't actually much better offensively. I believe he has 2 goals in 18 games as an Oiler whereas Lander has 1 in 22 games

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Desharnais isn't actually much better offensively. I believe he has 2 goals in 18 games as an Oiler whereas Lander has 1 in 22 games

:laugh:

He has 10 shots on goal since his last point in mid March. Provides offense? Yeah. For San Jose.

The guy is literally nothing on ice.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A fourth liner should also score more than once a season and chip in a few assists.

The Landers of the world are what we'd rely upon previously.

You're talking about averages and career stats in a playoff series. That's not how the playoffs work. Not everybody is going to score goals out there. So you need guys to get their jobs done.

I don't want Lander to draw in to score goals--bonus if he did score any. I want him in there to help the PK that got demolished last game, to help the face-offs where we're getting owned and help the fourth line establish some sort of battle against theirs. Those are three jobs that David Desharnais isn't getting done.

Desharnais has 250 career points and he's still dog**** in this series. Get him out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So did games 2 and 3 not happen either? They happened just as much as game 4 did.

The Oilers only took stupid penalties when the game was far out of reach. Any one of the first 3 penalties could very easily be questioned.

You dont react to what happened 2 or 3 games ago...you react to the most recent events.
According to you the Oilers should just skip over game 4.
So yeah...using your logic San Jose will execute in game 5 just as poorly on the PP as they did in games 2 and 3.

Playoff series evolve....so must the coaching.

Last edited:

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Considering they held Pavelski, Burns, et al completely off the board for the first three games?

Not a hard question to answer.

Not to mention being held off the scoreboard themselves... but hey, whatever floats your boat.

We won't win without them scoring.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A fourth liner should also score more than once a season and chip in a few assists.

The Landers of the world are what we'd rely upon previously.

So far in the playoffs DD has been non existent offensively...poor on face offs and he contributes next to nothing on the PK. He also contributes little to nothing in terms of a physical presence and O zone forecheck pressure.

I am not a big Lander fan but at the very least with Lander has 3 of those 4 areas covered instead of zero out of 4.

That being said a new 4th liner isnt what they need most right now.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not to mention being held off the scoreboard themselves... but hey, whatever floats your boat.

We won't win without them scoring.

If we go back to the same tight checking game, we might. Obviously you prefer them to be scoring all things considered, but the 2nd line has been our most effective in this series and it's really not close. You don't mess with that one.

I'd be more worried about Draisaitl.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So far in the playoffs DD has been non existent offensively...poor on face offs and he contributes next to nothing on the PK. He also contributes little to nothing in terms of a physical presence and O zone forecheck pressure.

I am not a big Lander fan but at the very least with Lander has 3 of those 4 areas covered instead of zero out of 4.

Yep. The Sharks have a similar guy in Sorenson. Around the same age. 1 career goal...doesn't take face-offs.

And look...he scored a goal...on David Desharnais!

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
we can cry all we want about not having "depth" but the fact of the matter is that only Eberle and Lucic have ES points

thats 2 points in 4 games between our top 6

Maroon has been awful
Drai has been silenced
McDavid has been held in check
Lucic has been quiet
RNH can't score despite the shots on net
Eberle has been less than stellar

we're only going as far as our top 6 can carry us

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Lander would be an excellent addition to the 4th line. I can think of a few other minor adjustments that would help, that McLellan also will not do.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yep. The Sharks have a similar guy in Sorenson. Around the same age. 1 career goal...doesn't take face-offs.

And look...he scored a goal...on David Desharnais!

I think that having more of a physical presence is important in game 5. I would even be okay with JJ instead of DD.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
This series definitely exposes some of the dead weight we have on our roster, most of which can be addressed in the offseason. At this rate it might take a 1st round add-on for LV to take Pouliot lol.
I think that was Chia's plan and why he didn't make any moves at the deadline, other than Davidson

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think that having more of a physical presence is important in game 5. I would even be okay with JJ instead of DD.

I think we've got plenty physicality. Not that I think we should tone it down--we shouldn't. It's just that I think we're still going to get called a lot if we continue to bring that game. Our special teams are going to win or lose us this series IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad