6th Overall - Jake Virtanen UPDATE: Signed to 3-Year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Yeah. Neal is a substantially inferior skater to Virtanen, seemingly less inclined to attack physically, and more than anything...he's far more of a "spot shooter". Neal gets to a spot, gets a pass, shoots, often scores (he's extremely good at this). Virtanen is a guy whose most dangerous quality is in his ability to shoot anywhere at any time, often while possessing the puck to begin with and negotiating himself into scoring areas with his speed+size. He shoots on the fly at full speed, in-stride, off-stride, forehand, backhand, one-timer...all outstanding shots. But he's far less of a "static" shooter than Neal.

If anything, i'd be more inclined to compare Jensen to a James Neal.

This is a bit OT, but would you also compare Fox to James Neal . . . as an average skater who finds the spots and has a great shot with a great release?

I've sometimes wondered if young Selanne, or young Selanne-lite, is a good comparable for Virtanen's shot and his style of play.

Reading this, I'm thinking oh great, I'm cheerleading raw rookies to be Neal and Selanne. Haha, I'm not. Just some goals please.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Booth is a terrible comparable. David Booth has one of the worst shots in the NHL. Jake Virtanen is literally a sniper.

My point was to point out that I think it is a lousy comparison because David Booth, before and after concussion, has never used an elite shot to score.

Jake Virtanen has an elite level shot, both on the forehand and backhand, to which both are very hard, accurate, and with a wicked release. They are incomparable players for that reason alone.

I disagree with that. Comparables are often use to compare style of play. If you have two players who scores by standing in front of the net, it doesn't matter if one guy is better at deflecting pucks or a much better skater.

Pre-concussion Booth is very much an overachiever. He achieved his success through hard work. So if you are looking at just his tools, outside of his skating and physicality, he's average across the board. But Booth at his best generates a lot of shots. But you are right, he's no sniper. His shot has good velocity but is very inaccurate. He doesn't pick corners. What Booth does or at least did was throw his body around, drive to the net, and constantly hover around the net looking for opportunities to score. He was hard to play against because he wouldn't stop moving his feet and he was strong. Virtanen's upside is higher because if he wanted to he can do all that Booth did and more. But Virtanen needs to develop that consistency and have that work ethic.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Virtanen plays nothing like Booth. The only reason his name was brought up IMO is because some people were unhappy with the pick. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
One thing i'm really excited for, is the idea of Virtanen on the PP with the Sedins. Obviously we're talking down the line, but he should be breaking into the NHL well before the Sedins are done and gone. A big RH shooting sniper...maybe a bit of that "Kesler role". :naughty:

Don't really like the idea of Virtanen with the Sedins 5v5, not sure how well that would really mesh. But on the PP...could be a great spot for him breaking in there a year or two or three from now.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Virtanen plays nothing like Booth. The only reason his name was brought up IMO is because some people were unhappy with the pick. [mod]

My take is you're judging ability as opposed to playstyle. Yeah Jake probably has a bit more of a sniper tendency than David, but still.

No harm no foul. This isn't going to go anywhere, and it's not going to affect the player he becomes anyway.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was the one who brought up Booth and I like the Virtanen pick :huh:

I think his tendencies and play style is similar. While yes, going "Virtanen's like this player but with a better shot/better skating/weaker whatever" isn't an ideal comparable, Booth was brought up because in my mind, there aren't many players who ARE perfect comparables after Kane/Kreider, and Booth/Ovechkin was next in line. There's going to be some give and take after those two, and Booth/Ovechkin/Virtanen do have quite a few similarities in the way that they play-- I don't think he has any polar opposite attributes, which is a problem I run into with respect to every other comparable I can think of.

And while again, comparing a player who plays the same style but is a different caliber of varying degrees isn't ideal, I personally think it's more sensible (bringing up guys like Booth/Ovechkin) than picking a player who's a comparable caliber but plays a completely different style (like Neal/Perry/Nash). After all, the reason you give prospect comparables in the first place is to fill in the gaps that can't already easily be described with things like physical attributes, draft position, age, and projections like "3rd line center upside". If you supplement that with a comparable of a random player with similar "3rd line center upside" who plays nothing like the said prospect, simply because the caliber is similar, it kind of doesn't make any sense/is redundant information.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What were the reports saying again, back on the ice in October?

Virtanen has already been skating, and even shooting pucks for a month now.

When he'll be cleared for full go, full contact, participate in camp/play games sort of status, i'm not really sure what the most up to date timeline is, though i doubt it's changed really.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I disagree with the Booth comparison mostly because Virtanen biggest asset is also Booth's biggest weakness. Virtanen has a good/great shot and good hands. Booth on the other hand seems to have horrible hands (at least after his injury in Florida) and despite having a ton of chances, just doesn't seem to be able to finish.

Rick Nash comparison is probably a bit better but he isn't at Nash's level (at least entering the draft). Of course he'll probably start his career quite differently too (namely probably in Jr for at least 1 more season).

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I think we will need to see what Benning does in the next 2-3 years to come up with a replacement for Henrik. As of right now, the Canucks would have to go with the committee approach if Henrik left the team.

Through draft, trade, UFA or whatever, they have to get Kassian, Virtanen, Shinkaruk Jensen et al a playmaking number one centre. I had hoped that would be Reinhart. Not to be.

If Benning comes up with a genuine number one centre, then Virtanen will be an excellent pick. If he doesn't, then the team is unlikely to challenge for the top, whether Virtanen pans out or not.

Connor Mcdavid, if we can be terrible for 1 year we will have a perennially contender for the next 15 years. 100% worth it

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
More terrible than Buffalo, Calgary, Florida, etc? Plus lucky enough to win the lottery. Barring a miracle, the Canucks aren't drafting Mcdavid.

With the adjustments in the new draft lottery, it's really not a miracle.

If we land in the same spot as last year, which is not far off considering the Canucks got worse in overall talent losing Luongo, Garrison, Kesler and Santorelli, the Canucks would have a 7.5% chance to land first.

If you also look at all the other bottom teams, the majority improved, too. Devils? I'd make an even money bet we finish within 2 spots of them. We traded away arguably some of our best players and got back guys that probably won't contribute for a couple years.

So yeah, it's not really a miracle. I also am concerned about your expectations for this season. It's going to be a transitional one and I'm expecting it to cost the Canucks a lot of games.

kilgore

Aug 27, 2006
Virtanen maybe Cam Neely with better skating (how many forwards can outskate D'Men backwards?) Now Neely became an elite player by working hard (he looked like a bottom line player when he first broke in making the ownership of the time giving up way too soon). I think Virtanen has the physical tools to become at least as good and who would not want that, a power forward who scores. Like any pick they can tank but give the guy a chance. Nylander could also shine but of course will be a totally different type of player no matter what. So my take is the Canucks and the Leafs made good picks, picks worth the "gamble".

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
With the adjustments in the new draft lottery, it's really not a miracle.

If we land in the same spot as last year, which is not far off considering the Canucks got worse in overall talent losing Luongo, Garrison, Kesler and Santorelli, the Canucks would have a 7.5% chance to land first.

If you also look at all the other bottom teams, the majority improved, too. Devils? I'd make an even money bet we finish within 2 spots of them. We traded away arguably some of our best players and got back guys that probably won't contribute for a couple years.

So yeah, it's not really a miracle. I also am concerned about your expectations for this season. It's going to be a transitional one and I'm expecting it to cost the Canucks a lot of games.

My expectations for this team is bubble land. I figure they will land somewhere between drafting 11 and 18th overall. I dont think they will be as bad as last year, as too many guys had career low seasons. It was a disaster of a second half, but before the guys ran out of gas, the team looked decent. I think Benning has done enough to make the team better, but not contenders by any means.

And with a 7.5% chance of picking 1st, I would call that a miracle if the Canucks won the lottery. It hasnt happened in over 40 years of Canucks hockey and we have had some truly awful times.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
So I was playing shinny last week had beers with a guy after who is a maple leaf fan and wasn't aware I'm a Canucks fan.. He has one son playing Junior A in Merritt but played last year in Calgary. We were talking about McDavid and prospects etc... ANd he brought up Vancouver and something something about their scouting staff. I said what do you mean? He said "that kid they drafted Virtanen, he should have gone way higher ! Have you seen him play? I was so hoping he'd fall to us(Toronto) and was amazed he fell as far as he did. HAVE YOU SEEN HIS SHOT??"

Anyways It was nice to see some fans with unbiased opinions of Jake be so high on him.. I am really excited to see him play.

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
Virtanen maybe Cam Neely with better skating (how many forwards can outskate D'Men backwards?) Now Neely became an elite player by working hard (he looked like a bottom line player when he first broke in making the ownership of the time giving up way too soon).

Cam Neely never looked like a bottom line player. That trade was s*** from the get go.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
So I was playing shinny last week had beers with a guy after who is a maple leaf fan and wasn't aware I'm a Canucks fan.. He has one son playing Junior A in Merritt but played last year in Calgary. We were talking about McDavid and prospects etc... ANd he brought up Vancouver and something something about their scouting staff. I said what do you mean? He said "that kid they drafted Virtanen, he should have gone way higher ! Have you seen him play? I was so hoping he'd fall to us(Toronto) and was amazed he fell as far as he did. HAVE YOU SEEN HIS SHOT??"

Anyways It was nice to see some fans with unbiased opinions of Jake be so high on him.. I am really excited to see him play.

Yeah I actually saw him play twice last year and that was what stood out. His shot is an absolute rocket and he can get it off in a hurry. One of the hardest shots I've ever seen at the junior level and the release is electric.

This will be a big season for him development-wise. There is a massive amount of potential with this pick. Health is my biggest concern, he's fairly reckless out there at this age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad