6th Overall - Jake Virtanen UPDATE: Signed to 3-Year ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Well we know he's skilled, but was the skill accomplishing anything? I don't want to drag this conversation into the pre-draft convo's that took play in regards to these guys, but if you're not getting the puck on net, IMO you're not being effective.

There are plenty of supremely skilled hockey players who never make a meaningful NHL contribution.

This isn't to suggest Ehlers won't become a very good pro, but there are always going to be guys like this that flash skill, but when they can't withstand the physicality of the pro game they struggle to meet the expectations that their skill level would bestow on them.

^^^^

Canafan, yeah, ol' Keith Ballard was manhandling him pretty good there.

It's NHL preseason for a recent draftee, not the be all end all, but I don't see that type of physical dominance ever not happening to Ehlers, similar to Mason Raymond.

Agreed for the most part.

Watching him, especially in things like the the prospects tourny and preseason vs some stronger "Pro" players, i see a lot of Mason Raymond to his game. I think his realistic ceiling, to me at least...looks a lot like a "Rich Man's Raymond". Which isn't really an insult, a bit more skilled and more consistent Mason Raymond is a very good top-6 forward in the league. But there could be a lot of the same physical limitations that mitigate his effectiveness somewhat in the NHL. And when he does that perimeter lap of the offensive zone routine, it's pure MayRay. :D Everyone was so excited about how fast he was and how he was able to just control the puck and circle the zone seemingly at will when he first arrived as well. ;)

Which is why i find it funny when people insinuate that we passed up all of this "upside" in taking Virtanen over Ehlers, Nylander. It's going to take a while to see how these guys pan out, and there are a lot of things that could happen between now and then. But right now, the size and physicality to go with the goal scoring skills of Virtanen are what make him a potential home run if he hits anything like his "ceiling". Potentially a real "cornerstone" piece for the franchise. I don't see it at all as taking the "safe pick" with "low upside". There's such a scarcity of big physical goal scorers in the league, everyone wants as many as they can get because there's a different level of effectiveness there...that's what makes for a really high "ceiling" for Virtanen imo.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I'd take a potential Owen Nolan over a 30g-40g small offensive forward. If Virtanen reaches his potential he SHOULD be the better pick over Ehlers/Nylander

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
I'd take a potential Owen Nolan over a 30g-40g small offensive forward. If Virtanen reaches his potential he SHOULD be the better pick over Ehlers/Nylander

His potential as a skilled big player with a physical presence neither of those two will be likley to match is worth having I agree better upside for my money.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Agreed for the most part.

Watching him, especially in things like the the prospects tourny and preseason vs some stronger "Pro" players, i see a lot of Mason Raymond to his game. I think his realistic ceiling, to me at least...looks a lot like a "Rich Man's Raymond". Which isn't really an insult, a bit more skilled and more consistent Mason Raymond is a very good top-6 forward in the league. But there could be a lot of the same physical limitations that mitigate his effectiveness somewhat in the NHL. And when he does that perimeter lap of the offensive zone routine, it's pure MayRay. :D Everyone was so excited about how fast he was and how he was able to just control the puck and circle the zone seemingly at will when he first arrived as well. ;)

Which is why i find it funny when people insinuate that we passed up all of this "upside" in taking Virtanen over Ehlers, Nylander. It's going to take a while to see how these guys pan out, and there are a lot of things that could happen between now and then. But right now, the size and physicality to go with the goal scoring skills of Virtanen are what make him a potential home run if he hits anything like his "ceiling". Potentially a real "cornerstone" piece for the franchise. I don't see it at all as taking the "safe pick" with "low upside". There's such a scarcity of big physical goal scorers in the league, everyone wants as many as they can get because there's a different level of effectiveness there...that's what makes for a really high "ceiling" for Virtanen imo.

Solid post. The thing that really stands out to me with Virtanen is that you rarely see a player with his skating/acceleration in a big, physical body. That combined with his shot/release is a close to a "sure thing" as I think you can get for NHL projectable skills. He'll have the size/strength to play around the net, the speed to attack defenses and gain the zone, and the shot/release to be a threat from in close or further out. I'll take that any day, even if he may lack some of the vision and passing of an Ehlers, in part because I think Virtanen can be successful playing a simpler, more direct game than a smaller player like Ehlers can.

I think all of Ehlers, Nylander, and Virtanen have reasons to give their fans excitement, it's just a shame we spend so much of our time envying the other two rather than simply being excited too see what our guy may develop into.

Speaking of, only about 3 weeks left til he's cleared for contact. Any thoughts on whether the Canucks might give him a game or two before returning him to Calgary, even if it is reg season? I know it's unlikely and maybe not even prudent, just really stoked to see Jake skate with and against NHL competition.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Solid post. The thing that really stands out to me with Virtanen is that you rarely see a player with his skating/acceleration in a big, physical body. That combined with his shot/release is a close to a "sure thing" as I think you can get for NHL projectable skills. He'll have the size/strength to play around the net, the speed to attack defenses and gain the zone, and the shot/release to be a threat from in close or further out. I'll take that any day, even if he may lack some of the vision and passing of an Ehlers, in part because I think Virtanen can be successful playing a simpler, more direct game than a smaller player like Ehlers can.

I think all of Ehlers, Nylander, and Virtanen have reasons to give their fans excitement, it's just a shame we spend so much of our time envying the other two rather than simply being excited too see what our guy may develop into.

Speaking of, only about 3 weeks left til he's cleared for contact. Any thoughts on whether the Canucks might give him a game or two before returning him to Calgary, even if it is reg season? I know it's unlikely and maybe not even prudent, just really stoked to see Jake skate with and against NHL competition.

I'd put the odds of seeing Virtanen get a few games with the Canucks when he's healthy at approximately Zero percent. :D For a young 18 year old coming off missed time with the shoulder stuff, the last thing you want to do is throw him straight into the deep end of real NHL competition. Not to mention the roster implications of that, having to shuffle guys around to fit him in.

I get it though, i'm as excited as anyone to see him in a Canucks jersey, but it's gonna have to wait a year.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'd put the odds of seeing Virtanen get a few games with the Canucks when he's healthy at approximately Zero percent. :D For a young 18 year old coming off missed time with the shoulder stuff, the last thing you want to do is throw him straight into the deep end of real NHL competition. Not to mention the roster implications of that, having to shuffle guys around to fit him in.

I get it though, i'm as excited as anyone to see him in a Canucks jersey, but it's gonna have to wait a year.

Ya, I realize it's not realistic and probably not even smart for the same reasons you give. But man, no Virtanen, no McCann, no Demko, no Tryamkin, no Forsling. Weird to think that 2015 camp will likely be the first time we watch *any* of our 2014 picks on NHL ice.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I think it could be lower than that. This is the only Virtanen's 18yo season coming, he's probably still growing physically, he's got a ton of development and growth left in his game. Juniors is much better spot for him for at least 1 more year.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ya, I realize it's not realistic and probably not even smart for the same reasons you give. But man, no Virtanen, no McCann, no Demko, no Tryamkin, no Forsling. Weird to think that 2015 camp will likely be the first time we watch *any* of our 2014 picks on NHL ice.

:laugh: Yeah, it's pretty disappointing the way that's all worked out.

Like unwrapping all these cool shiny new toys on Christmas morning, and then being told you're not allowed to play with them until next year. :(

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
:laugh: Yeah, it's pretty disappointing the way that's all worked out.

Like unwrapping all these cool shiny new toys on Christmas morning, and then being told you're not allowed to play with them until next year. :(

The way I look at it is it will be two Christmases at once, 2014+2015+hopefully Hutton and maybe McNally all unwrapped at once.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The way I look at it is it will be two Christmases at once, 2014+2015+hopefully Hutton and maybe McNally all unwrapped at once.

Silver linings. Not to mention, even next year coming in to camp, Virtanen will still be barely older than some of the 2015 draft picks around the league. :banana:

Procrastinator

Aug 7, 2005
Jake Virtanen

Apologize if there is a thread on him already.

How has he looked in camp?

Thanks in advance.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
He had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder during the off-season and won't be cleared for contact until October. He didn't get to play in preseason and was sent back to junior just yesterday.

I hope you're not being facetious.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

Every year, I am more excited for next year's camp. Although this year was actually pretty cool with all of Shinkaruk, Horvat, and Jensen showing promise, as well as Vey showing he can very easily prove to be worth more than that 2nd round pick.

I hope we can negotiate with Tryamkin's team and convince them to terminate his contract, considering he's not going to be there in the future anyways. I want to see him over here ASAP. I think he'll spend around a year in the AHL before he becomes a surefire NHLer for us.

I forget, why couldn't McCann attend? Is he also NCAA? Will he and Demko be at next year's camp?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Every year, I am more excited for next year's camp. Although this year was actually pretty cool with all of Shinkaruk, Horvat, and Jensen showing promise, as well as Vey showing he can very easily prove to be worth more than that 2nd round pick.

I hope we can negotiate with Tryamkin's team and convince them to terminate his contract, considering he's not going to be there in the future anyways. I want to see him over here ASAP. I think he'll spend around a year in the AHL before he becomes a surefire NHLer for us.

I forget, why couldn't McCann attend? Is he also NCAA? Will he and Demko be at next year's camp?

He plays for the SSM Greyhounds in the OHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad