HF Habs: 6th Annual Early Bird Mock Draft 2020: Covid-19 edition (Complete! with final stats)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
giphy.gif

Welcome back dude!

Thanks! I died for my sins the night before tank talk was allowed again and the timing couldn't be worse because not being able to talk on the boards during covid-19 sucked.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Thanks! I died for my sins the night before tank talk was allowed again and the timing couldn't be worse because not being able to talk on the boards during covid-19 sucked.

Nice to see you again WTK. I've missed reading your posts. You always had great information regarding prospects and loved your rants :laugh::thumbu:

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Next is Philadelphia, and that is @Treb .
He sent me his list.

Flyers are pleased to select Stephen Halliday (LW), Dubuque (USHL) and University of North Dakota.

Last edited:
Reactions: calder candidate

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I am pretty sure I have managed to mess up every draft recap because I forget about players I drafted since I have like 50 picks. That’s the Montreal Canadiens way though baby! We completely forget about our prospects and force them to workout at their girlfriend’s parents garage for a week before they let us know they are alive.
I have decided to do a proper recap below:

:habs

8: Cole Perfetti: Let’s get it out of the way and say that his skating needs to be worked on a lot. However, you can’t teach the offensive creativity and talent that Perfetti has, and at 8th overall, the upside is too good to pass up on. There is a trend with the most productive players in the league possessing a combo of IQ/Skill/Skating. Perfetti has shown that he has IQ and the skill to potentially be at least a good player in the NHL.

39: Brendan Brisson: Playing on the best line in the league certainly doesn’t hurt, but Brisson is a smart player with good 2way abilities. Moreover, he’s a talented playmaker that skates well.

40: Helge Grans: A 6’3 RHD with good skating is an asset that every team in the league values greatly, but Grans shows that he has more to offer with his PPG performance in the SuperElit. While his tools are intriguing, he has had consistency issues. That being said, he only turns 18 in May so we are confident that he will work on that aspect of his game.

61: Jake Neighbours: He provides a nice combo of offensive capabilities, physicality and competitiveness. He had a great year offensively being 2nd in points for his team with a 21 point lead over 3rd place.

70: Justin Sourdif: He’s a good 2-way player that has improved production wise in the 2nd half of the season. He’s a really good skater and is a dog on a bone, his compete level is a huge reason of what’s made him a key player for the Giants.

91: Alex Cotton: Cotton was undoubtedly one of the best player on Lethridge with his great PPG+ performance. The smart 6’2 smooth skating RHD has received a larger role this year and has put up the performance in order to be drafted as an overager.

98: Maxim Groshev: Playing over 35 games in the KHL as an 18 year old isn’t easy to do, yet Groshev has done that while putting up a respectable PPG. With his size and production, we feel like he has the potential to be a useful player for the Habs. He likes to shoot the puck and rushes the puck well while being fairly agile.

101: Evan Vierling: Vierling is a smooth skating centerman with intriguing offensive instincts. He’s a smart player that is great defensively and seems to have taken it to another level playing on Barrie.

105: Drew Commesso: Commesso has a nice frame, possesses strong IQ and tracks the puck well. He will be going to an excellent program next year in Boston University. With the numerous picks that we have, drafting a goalie like Commesso seems like a nice gamble.

132: Mitchell Miller: He’s a smart player who has improved offensively throughout the season. His work ethic, character, consistency and leadership have all been praised for the right reasons. He's also been proven to be reliable defensively.

138: Jacob Dion: Oftentimes, small dmen are criticized for their lack of goalscoring. This hasn’t been the case with Dion as he has 17 goals in the season which is 3rd in the league for goals by dmen. He’s a good puck mover and possesses strong offensive instincts as shown by his impressive 51 points in 63 games.

163: Ethan Cardwell: Cardwell has strong hockey sense with a good shot. He’s one of the youngest players of the draft and has been great for Barrie.

188: Zach Uens: The 6’2 blueliner is a great skater and can move the puck efficiently. He can be a risky player, but it’s not a bad thing as it shows that he is not afraid to make the plays to help his team win. He has the same PPG in the NCAA as 2019 14th overall pick Cam York who is 19 and is ahead of 2019 2nd rounder Jayden Struble proving that his production is up there with those drafted highly in his draft class.

195: Ian Moore: Once again, we are valuing a 6’3 dman with good athleticism and Moore performed well both as a shutdown dman and offensively. He’s also been improving dramatically.

I feel like I did a pretty good job, but who knows really. “At the end of the day, if all these guys bust, who cares because drafting is all luck even though I want to build through the draft”-Marc Bergevin
I want to give a huge thank you to @MarkovsKnee for hosting and making the draft go by smoothly!
Feel free to let me know how you think the Habs did.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I am pretty sure I have managed to mess up every draft recap because I forget about players I drafted since I have like 50 picks. That’s the Montreal Canadiens way though baby! We completely forget about our prospects and force them to workout at their girlfriend’s parents garage for a week before they let us know they are alive.
I have decided to do a proper recap below:

:habs

8: Cole Perfetti: Let’s get it out of the way and say that his skating needs to be worked on a lot. However, you can’t teach the offensive creativity and talent that Perfetti has, and at 8th overall, the upside is too good to pass up on. There is a trend with the most productive players in the league possessing a combo of IQ/Skill/Skating. Perfetti has shown that he has IQ and the skill to potentially be at least a good player in the NHL.

39: Brendan Brisson: Playing on the best line in the league certainly doesn’t hurt, but Brisson is a smart player with good 2way abilities. Moreover, he’s a talented playmaker that skates well.

40: Helge Grans: A 6’3 RHD with good skating is an asset that every team in the league values greatly, but Grans shows that he has more to offer with his PPG performance in the SuperElit. While his tools are intriguing, he has had consistency issues. That being said, he only turns 18 in May so we are confident that he will work on that aspect of his game.

61: Jake Neighbours: He provides a nice combo of offensive capabilities, physicality and competitiveness. He had a great year offensively being 2nd in points for his team with a 21 point lead over 3rd place.

70: Justin Sourdif: He’s a good 2-way player that has improved production wise in the 2nd half of the season. He’s a really good skater and is a dog on a bone, his compete level is a huge reason of what’s made him a key player for the Giants.

91: Alex Cotton: Cotton was undoubtedly one of the best player on Lethridge with his great PPG+ performance. The smart 6’2 smooth skating RHD has received a larger role this year and has put up the performance in order to be drafted as an overager.

98: Maxim Groshev: Playing over 35 games in the KHL as an 18 year old isn’t easy to do, yet Groshev has done that while putting up a respectable PPG. With his size and production, we feel like he has the potential to be a useful player for the Habs. He likes to shoot the puck and rushes the puck well while being fairly agile.

101: Evan Vierling: Vierling is a smooth skating centerman with intriguing offensive instincts. He’s a smart player that is great defensively and seems to have taken it to another level playing on Barrie.

105: Drew Commesso: Commesso has a nice frame, possesses strong IQ and tracks the puck well. He will be going to an excellent program next year in Boston University. With the numerous picks that we have, drafting a goalie like Commesso seems like a nice gamble.

132: Mitchell Miller: He’s a smart player who has improved offensively throughout the season. His work ethic, character, consistency and leadership have all been praised for the right reasons. He's also been proven to be reliable defensively.

138: Jacob Dion: Oftentimes, small dmen are criticized for their lack of goalscoring. This hasn’t been the case with Dion as he has 17 goals in the season which is 3rd in the league for goals by dmen. He’s a good puck mover and possesses strong offensive instincts as shown by his impressive 51 points in 63 games.

163: Ethan Cardwell: Cardwell has strong hockey sense with a good shot. He’s one of the youngest players of the draft and has been great for Barrie.

188: Zach Uens: The 6’2 blueliner is a great skater and can move the puck efficiently. He can be a risky player, but it’s not a bad thing as it shows that he is not afraid to make the plays to help his team win. He has the same PPG in the NCAA as 2019 14th overall pick Cam York who is 19 and is ahead of 2019 2nd rounder Jayden Struble proving that his production is up there with those drafted highly in his draft class.

195: Ian Moore: Once again, we are valuing a 6’3 dman with good athleticism and Moore performed well both as a shutdown dman and offensively. He’s also been improving dramatically.

I feel like I did a pretty good job, but who knows really. “At the end of the day, if all these guys bust, who cares because drafting is all luck even though I want to build through the draft”-Marc Bergevin
I want to give a huge thank you to @MarkovsKnee for hosting and making the draft go by smoothly!
Feel free to let me know how you think the Habs did.

I mean Montreal has so many picks it seems impossible that they won't get at least one maybe two very good players.

I think you did a great job here. Your first 8 picks really make this draft.

Thanks for playing!

Reactions: The Great Weise

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
With their last pick, Arizona selects from Shattuck St-Mary’s/Muskegon Lumberjacks:

:coyotes C Artem Shlaine

Coyotes picks:

2nd rd: 42 - F Zion Nybeck
4th rd: 103 - F Brett Berard
5th rd: 134 - F Oskar Magnusson
6th rd: 165 - RD Jake Ratzlaf
7th rd: 196 - C Artem Shlaine

Minnesota Wild and @Carl182 are up. Will pm

Carl182

Mar 31, 2019
With our last pick Minny choose Marko Stacha (HK Dukla Trencin). Extremly underscout, played well at U20 being 18 and plays against man in Slovakia.

Gonna PM the nest guy and do a recap!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Thank god this is over, I was running out of ideas for my last pick, lmao.

4. L.A.: Quinton Byfield (C) - Sudbury (OHL)
35. L.A: Luke Evangelista (RW) - London (OHL)
48. L.A.: Tyson Foerster (C) - Barrie (OHL)
59. L.A.: Ridly Greig (LW) - Brandon (WHL)
66. L.A.: Emil Andrae (LD) - HV71 J20 (Sweden)
77. L.A.: Dylan Peterson (C) - USNTDP / Boston Univ.
97. L.A.: Veeti Miettinen (RW) - Kiekko-Espoo U20 / St. Cloud State
109. L.A: Cross Hanas (LW) - Portland (WHL)
128. L.A.: Isac Andersson (F) - Frolunda HC J29
159. L.A.: Isaak Phillips (LD) - Sudbury (OHL)
190. L.A.: Will Cranley (G) - Ottawa (OHL)

Honestly I like this draft. Every single guys I picked are players I loved, the one im the most bummed with ? Probably Byfield, lmao, was hoping I could get some fantasy going but can't pass up on him, really. Blame it on Ottawa.

The five O kids I picked are probably the ones Ive watched the most, I have a real soft spot for Foerster and Evangelista, skills, smart and on top of it they seem to really love the game, and that can go a long way.

Byfield, Andrea, Peterson, Mietinen and Phillips are the high upside kids that may not amount to anything, but if they hit yall better watch out.

Hanas, Andersson and Grieg were picked for their smarts, pretty sure they won't become top 6er or anything, but theyre so smart that I a lot has to go bad for them to stink it up.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Thank god this is over, I was running out of ideas for my last pick, lmao.

Honestly I like this draft. Every single guys I picked are players I loved, the one im the most bummed with ? Probably Byfield, lmao, was hoping I could get some fantasy going but can't pass up on him, really. Blame it on Ottawa.

source.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad