Prospect Info: #69(nice)OA - Hurricanes select LHD Alexander Nikishin (Spartak - KHL)

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Three things on that highlight video:

1) the skater movement of Spartak prior to that goal was beautifully chaotic.
2) the goal that follows was some fantastic puck movement and passing.
3) wild to see hockey jerseys that are ostensibly blank on the front.

If Spartak is being coached to promote this sort of movement and passing, it's going to serve him well. But what do I know...maybe that's just the way Russians play the game.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Nikishin to the forechecker:

only-game.gif

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
If Nish’s skating and zone reads get to NHL level, man is he going to be fun to have

Watched him a bit in those first few games. Spartak is looking really good and he's contributing to that. He looked great out there and flashed as one of the better players on the ice every time I saw him out there. Couple of assists and nice defensive play. One game on a couple different powerplays I saw him seemingly playing net front on the 2nd unit which was quite interesting. Maybe I'm mistaken or it was just random but it's an interesting idea if they were intentionally using their big D man as a net front presence... Won some nice battles in the corner to keep possession.

On another note, Ponomaryov was absolutely invisible out there. Not shocking for a young guy like him but would also be nice to see him contributing more. I'm still quite high on him, but it'll be probably at least 3-4 years before we may see him in NA.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Watched him a bit in those first few games. Spartak is looking really good and he's contributing to that. He looked great out there and flashed as one of the better players on the ice every time I saw him out there. Couple of assists and nice defensive play. One game on a couple different powerplays I saw him seemingly playing net front on the 2nd unit which was quite interesting. Maybe I'm mistaken or it was just random but it's an interesting idea if they were intentionally using their big D man as a net front presence... Won some nice battles in the corner to keep possession.

On another note, Ponomaryov was absolutely invisible out there. Not shocking for a young guy like him but would also be nice to see him contributing more. I'm still quite high on him, but it'll be probably at least 3-4 years before we may see him in NA.
Unfortunately for Pono it’s another coaching and system change. Im thinking it will be later half of this season and next that we’ll see him start to shine.

Im looking for to Nish. I just hope that we can convince him to play one year in Chicago to get him ready for us.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Nhl refs will call that an elbow on Nikishin while thinking its a good hit for Boston and Tampa
What's really funny is the guy who comes charging him from behind a few seconds later and takes the brunt of his own attempted hit while Boom just shields the puck and passes it along the boards behind the net

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath

Like a Dustin Byfuglien type situation? That'd be pretty dope

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I honestly believe Boom will be as good as Sergachev. Long term #2LHD behind Slavin, once Skjei's contract is up. Kid is a stud

Sergachev? No. I still see Nikishin being a top-flight bottom-pair player for an elite NHL team, much like Joel Edmundson. He could be the ideal partner, for example, to pair with a guy like Anttoni Honka on the 3rd pair. But I can't see a top-4 guy there, at least from an offensive POV. Morrow, at least to me, is the more-likely top-pairing player if he pans out.

I could very much see a D-group like this in the future, if Morrow's ceiling is reached and Bear is extended long-term:

Slavin-Morrow
UFA/Trade-Bear
Nikishin/Sellgren-Honka/Keane

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Sergachev? No. I still see Nikishin being a top-flight bottom-pair player for an elite NHL team, much like Joel Edmundson. He could be the ideal partner, for example, to pair with a guy like Anttoni Honka on the 3rd pair. But I can't see a top-4 guy there, at least from an offensive POV. Morrow, at least to me, is the more-likely top-pairing player if he pans out.

I could very much see a D-group like this in the future, if Morrow's ceiling is reached and Bear is extended long-term:

Slavin-Morrow
UFA/Trade-Bear

He and Sergachev certainly have different skill sets but there is absolutely no reason Nikishin couldn't contribute offensively on the 2nd pair. He has the ability to be an elite shutdown guy in the mold of Slavin and Pesce but while also being extremely physical, and I don't think he has much less offensive upside than those 2 guys who play in the top 4. Absolutely not saying he'll definitely get to that level but there's no reason to rule it out. He's already looking the part in the K.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Slavin-Morrow
UFA/Trade-Bear

Edmonson? Guy is not a vicious hitter or all that physical. He's a shot suppressor and blocker.

Don't see the comparison.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Edmonson? Guy is not a vicious hitter or all that physical. He's a shot suppressor and blocker.

Don't see the comparison.

I'm not talking about playing style, but more about where I envision Nikishin in an NHL lineup. I think that on an elite team, he'd be the kind of 4/5 guy that can anchor the bottom pair for years if he pans out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad