Prospect Info: #69(nice)OA - Hurricanes select LHD Alexander Nikishin (Spartak - KHL)

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
As of now (elite prospects version of now) he is tied for 3rd in points among defensemen with Kaski (among others) in the KHL. He has 4 points in 5 games, compared to 5 points in 20 games last year. Looks like he has taken a considerable step forward in the second best league in the world.

Also, I see the smaller ice surface in the NHL being a benefit to his game once he is able to adjust for it. Would not be superseded to see him at all next year - as long as his KHL contract is ending.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As of now (elite prospects version of now) he is tied for 3rd in points among defensemen with Kaski (among others) in the KHL. He has 4 points in 5 games, compared to 5 points in 20 games last year. Looks like he has taken a considerable step forward in the second best league in the world.

Also, I see the smaller ice surface in the NHL being a benefit to his game once he is able to adjust for it. Would not be superseded to see him at all next year - as long as his KHL contract is ending.

Signed through the end of 22/23 unfortunately. I'm just hoping we can get him under contract following that season because his KHL team is going to be able to throw a ton of money at him. Not the absolutely stupid amounts that they were to keep guys like Kaprizov as long as they did a few years back, but certainly better than an ELC contract.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
There’s never anything really “smart” about it. It’s a chance you take when over here. It works or it doesn’t. Depends how responsible the rest of the team is in recognizing it. If the coach supports free flow like that over there than it’s just “the way”.

It can be smart if it's within a system that is designed to alleviate the risk of the D man jumping up, and if it's timed well by a defenseman with superior offensive instincts. But yeah of course it's always a risk. I'd like to see Boom with Pesce one day.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So realistically, how quickly could he end up over here and contributing? Everything I've seen about him leads me to believe he's gonna be a really good defenseman, bringing a very physical presence that we have needed for years and years.

Definitely excited about his potential.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So realistically, how quickly could he end up over here and contributing? Everything I've seen about him leads me to believe he's gonna be a really good defenseman, bringing a very physical presence that we have needed for years and years.

I think it will be at least two more years just due to contract options he has due to the KHL players being better paid than AHL players.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

If we get a normal off-season maybe we can get him over here for a prospect camp and convince him to come over.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Was this play right off a face off? Hard to tell but if the faceoff in that zone got won to him, or to the other defender who then passed across to him, its not that wild that he'd take it down the wall and then hang out a second to see if a pass or rebound came his way. It did so clearly he knew the plan or at least the tendencies of his teammates

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

His KHL contract is through the 2023/24 season, so it'll be quite some time. I suspect he'll come over right after that and immediately slot into a top 4 spot. I'm extremely high on him though, he could start on a 3rd pair but I think he'll prove to be much better than that right from the start here.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
His KHL contract is through the 2023/24 season, so it'll be quite some time. I suspect he'll come over right after that and immediately slot into a top 4 spot. I'm extremely high on him though, he could start on a 3rd pair but I think he'll prove to be much better than that right from the start here.
Highly doubt we take a guy and immediately slot him in the top 4.

KHL contract doesn’t matter except that he may not take an AHL stint.

we should go into next season with a prospect camp invite. He can win the bottom LHD role with a strong training camp as well. He’ll battle Sellgren and a veteran league minimum signing for 3LD. Let him work his way up to taking over Skjei’s spot for 2 seasons. If he doesn’t win the spot, he’ll go back to Russia and try again in 22-23.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Is there an NHL/KHL agreement where we won't step on each other's toes, contract-wise? That is, if he really blows up, is there really no way we could get him over here because of that contract?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad