Prospect Info: #69(nice)OA - Hurricanes select LHD Alexander Nikishin (Spartak - KHL)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
What am I missing here? He’s under contract until 2025. No amount of bonuses in his elc is going to allow us to sign a player already under contract.
Buying him out. While we can’t offer money directly, we could max bonus his ELC to allow him to buy himself out. Again, unlikely.

The goalie that is coming over to Philly was also under contract until next season

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Buying him out. While we can’t offer money directly, we could max bonus his ELC to allow him to buy himself out. Again, unlikely.

The goalie that is coming over to Philly was also under contract until next season

But we can't sign him to the ELC until he is already bought out. Is he supposed to buy himself out and then count on the unsigned contract in your scenario?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
the details of buying out of russian players isnt a well known. its kind of one of those unspoken things that the NHL doesnt like to address.
I'm not restricting this to Russian examples. Do you know of anyone who has a contract for a resource that willingly breaks it for the promise of payment that is not contractual? I can't imagine the Russian team being willing to just break his contract with the "understanding" that they get paid.

Maybe I am naive, but that doesn't sound like sound business practices to me....even for Russians.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm not restricting this to Russian examples. Do you know of anyone who has a contract for a resource that willingly breaks it for the promise of payment that is not contractual? I can't imagine the Russian team being willing to just break his contract with the "understanding" that they get paid.

Maybe I am naive, but that doesn't sound like sound business practices to me....even for Russians.
Russia is different with its control of its population. While it wouldn't be smart in the most countries, I would guess the same isn't true in Russia. Im sure there is the way for them to figure it out. Guys have been released before.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
People need to drop this

Is it wrong? SKA St. Petersburg is literally the team that's favored by Putin. Its owners are the State-owned gas company, Gazprom. It's literally the sports club of the Russian Armed Forces. Putin puts his friends and allies in high positions within the organization. And in the recent past, the rules of the league were changed to greatly favor SKA.

I'm not connecting Nikishin as a supporter of Putin. I'm saying that Putin has a vested interest in having SKA be successful, and letting go of their record-breaking captain would likely run opposite to that. Especially considering SKA floundered greatly after Nikishin's recent injury.

Reactions: cptjeff

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Is it wrong? SKA St. Petersburg is literally the team that's favored by Putin. Its owners are the State-owned gas company, Gazprom. It's literally the sports club of the Russian Armed Forces. Putin puts his friends and allies in high positions within the organization. And in the recent past, the rules of the league were changed to greatly favor SKA.

I'm not connecting Nikishin as a supporter of Putin. I'm saying that Putin has a vested interest in having SKA be successful, and letting go of their record-breaking captain would likely run opposite to that. Especially considering SKA floundered greatly after Nikishin's recent injury.
Yes it’s wrong and the rest of what you spewed is pure nonsense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad