Prospect Info: #69(nice)OA - Hurricanes select LHD Alexander Nikishin (Spartak - KHL)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Money talks. The top paid KHL player only makes around $1.5 million. Nikishkin will make a lot more than that in the NHL.
Nikishin will probably only sign a 1 year ELC and then make bank in his second contract.

Plus, you have to think that even Putin realizes the potential to sell Russian greatness if the Canes win the Cup led by Svechnikov, Nikishin and Kochetkov

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Is it possible for us to sign Niksihin after his KHL season is over and have him play in the playoffs in 2025?
as said, yes possible

but it depends on SKA's season timeline. I mean we may bring him over as a black ace to start learning. he will have a ton of wear of the season already as they start their season earlier than the NHL does.

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
Dumb question. Wouldn't Nikishin just say he didn't want to play in the NHL and stay in Russia if he didn't ever plan on coming over?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Nikishin joked in the intermission that if he will score today he will need to find opportunities to shake hands with him more often. So yeah, he scored twice after that lol.

Staal never would have made that goal

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Nikishin should follow the sorokin model.

1 year elc in April of 25. Immediately following a 2 x 2 million deal extension for the next 2 seasons.

If I'm interpreting things correctly, he has to sign a 2 year ELC. His age on September 15th of 2025 is 23. He turns 24 ~2 weeks later.

That matches up with the Panarin case. He turned 24 in 2015, but because his birthday was after the cutoff, he had to sign a 2 year ELC. Sorokin was to turn 25 for the next league year before the cutoff; he wasn't going to be eligible for an ELC for 20-21 anyway.

I expect them to burn off an ELC year, given his status as a prospect. Minnesota did that by bringing Kaprizov over during the bubble. Alternatively, Colorado signed Kovalenko this past Summer and then loaned him to his KHL club, even though he was under contract with that club.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
24-25 - ELC Year 1 (burned in some way)
25-26 - ELC Year 2
26-27 - RFA Year 1
27-28 - RFA Year 2
28-29 - RFA Year 3
29-30 - Eligible for UFA

A bridge for 26-28 makes sense; he'll have a limited sample size of games to justify a long-term deal at whatever number one way or the other. A max term deal starting in that last RFA year would then cover ages 26-33.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Based on his current KHL contract, the earliest he can come over is for the 25/26 season, correct?

I get that SKA could terminate his contract, but IIRC, they paid a lot to trade for him and I think it's unlikely they will do so. In fact, it won't surprise me, given the political climate, if he stayed even beyond that date. Who knows though.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Based on his current KHL contract, the earliest he can come over is for the 25/26 season, correct?

I get that SKA could terminate his contract, but IIRC, they paid a lot to trade for him and I think it's unlikely they will do so. In fact, it won't surprise me, given the political climate, if he stayed even beyond that date. Who knows though.
The earliest he can come over is after the next KHL season and playoffs are over. SKA is typically a high performer so that could stretch until April.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Hes making max pay in the KHL, his ELC and bonuses would be way higher, and he would probably get a fat exention after that ELC.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
He's also 10th in points, IN THE LEAGUE...and LEADS the team

So yeah, theres nothing to prove in this league anymore, I think we propose a trade.

Carolina gets Nikishin

SKA gets a TopGolf

I am convinced this is fair. Therefore on behalf of both parties I accept. Nikishin can room with Svech for a little while.

I just solved any potential problems. I hope to get a thank you basket for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad