Prospect Info: 68th overall: Vancouver selects Tyler Madden (son of John, Northeastern University commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
That depends on the intentions does it not? For me, if a player plays the same style you can say "Tanev-style player." You don't compare Utunen to Tanev just because he's a non-physical smart defensive defenseman unless you think Tanev is a zero offense 2nd pairing Dman.

The poster who started the Motte comparisons talked about Madden having a Motte-like career and clearly didn't make the comparison suggesting Madden would develop into a top 6 player or even higher end 3rd line player. So what does Motte-like career mean? The comparison is already off with Madden putting up numbers in college right away. Motte also made the NHL straight out college. But right now he's a 4th line player in the NHL and not an overly established one, granted he may be on his way to carving out a nice NHL career for himself.

Is is not ridiculous for me to compare Madden to Pettersson because they are both slight and I think Madden has high hockey IQ, has a good shot, and has pretty good hands and ability to dangle the puck? I don't think so.

Madden's numbers needs some context. How do we know that PPG as a freshman = top 6 potential?

Moreso, I'm just looking at the highlight clips of Madden posted here in this thread and it really doesn't show a lot of high-end physical skills (stickhandling, shot, passing) other than speed. He does a lot of little things well like positioning and the willingness to go into the dirty areas, but that only gets you so far in the NHL.

I don't think it's a slight against Madden to suggest that he'll probably top out as a bottom-6 players. Just making the NHL as a 3rd rounder is an accomplishment.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
That depends on the intentions does it not? For me, if a player plays the same style you can say "Tanev-style player." You don't compare Utunen to Tanev just because he's a non-physical smart defensive defenseman unless you think Tanev is a zero offense 2nd pairing Dman.

The poster who started the Motte comparisons talked about Madden having a Motte-like career and clearly didn't make the comparison suggesting Madden would develop into a top 6 player or even higher end 3rd line player. So what does Motte-like career mean? The comparison is already off with Madden putting up numbers in college right away. Motte also made the NHL straight out college. But right now he's a 4th line player in the NHL and not an overly established one, granted he may be on his way to carving out a nice NHL career for himself.

Is is not ridiculous for me to compare Madden to Pettersson because they are both slight and I think Madden has high hockey IQ, has a good shot, and has pretty good hands and ability to dangle the puck? I don't think so.

I'm not going to defend arguments I never made. I have no idea what a Motte like career means either.
Humans love drawing connections even when there really isn't much connection if you do some digging. People in Vancouver have grown accustomed to Motte, so it's easy to look and draw the connection. I wouldn't really worry about it anyway.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Madden's numbers needs some context. How do we know that PPG as a freshman = top 6 potential?

Moreso, I'm just looking at the highlight clips of Madden posted here in this thread and it really doesn't show a lot of high-end physical skills (stickhandling, shot, passing) other than speed. He does a lot of little things well like positioning and the willingness to go into the dirty areas, but that only gets you so far in the NHL.

I don't think it's a slight against Madden to suggest that he'll probably top out as a bottom-6 players. Just making the NHL as a 3rd rounder is an accomplishment.
It doesn't and you only have to look at Gaudette and his struggles

Try watching a few games and tell me this.

The kid wasn't even on the radar for the U20 team.... then he not only makes it he is becoming a key player. Has some filthy hands from what i've seen?

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
It doesn't and you only have to look at Gaudette and his struggles

Try watching a few games and tell me this.

The kid wasn't even on the radar for the U20 team.... then he not only makes it he is becoming a key player. Has some filthy hands from what i've seen?

He's playing a good two-way game.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
lmao off "but but but Jake Wise he has more upside!!!!" from fans who had never seen either play. Hilarious

I wonder where are all the posters who were screaming "bloody murder" when Benning passed on Wise and drafted Madden instead? I would say one is trending more as a prospect with real NHL potential while the other is looking more like Patrick White.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I wonder where are all the posters who were screaming "bloody murder" when Benning passed on Wise and drafted Madden instead? I would say one is trending more as a prospect with real NHL potential while the other is looking more like Patrick White.

I recently ranked him as our 2nd best prospect after Quinn

Madden will be a beauty :yo:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Well at the end of the day it's potential and projection right? I said previously that the Canucks clearly drafted Madden for his offensive upside. You can say a player has top 6 potential and still project a player to be an AHL lifer.

Putting things into context, he's PPG as a freshman right now and is playing top minutes for US in the WJC. According to Ryan Biech, Madden led all US forwards in total ice time last game. Top 6 potential or not he's projecting really well.

I'm not going to defend arguments I never made. I have no idea what a Motte like career means either.
Humans love drawing connections even when there really isn't much connection if you do some digging. People in Vancouver have grown accustomed to Motte, so it's easy to look and draw the connection. I wouldn't really worry about it anyway.

I agree. I'm just saying that it doesn't mean it's not ridiculous to draw a connection where the connection is tenuous. I don't consider a comparison like "He projects to be a Tanev-like player" to be a fringe 6-8th Dman who is a smart defense Dman like Tanev.

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
i'm pretty sure the consensus was that it was a weird pick on paper but that our american scouts deserved some leeway because they seem to always pick some random dude with mediocre production who raises his stock immediately in the ncaa

It's kind of funny because this is literally the same thread where the pick reactions happened - anyone can just go back to the first few pages of this thread, the posts are still all there. Most people who wanted Wise also acknowledged our USHL scouts' track record and were giving to give them the benefit of the doubt.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hughes, Woo and Madden was a pretty good day
If we get really lucky Hughes and Woo could be a really good pairing. Still a long way to go for Woo but the combination would be a good mix.
Madden has gone from not being an invite to the team US camp to the top forward so far with Jack Hughes out. Not bad progress for a guy weighing 150 pounds.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Madden looks promising. Yet another great pick by Brackett and the USHL scouting team.

Can we please just draft exclusively from that league after the first round from now on?

It's insane. Since mason Raymond in 2005 we have taken one nhl player outside of the first round who wasn't playing in USA. And that was Ben Hutton, who (like Raymond) went to the NCAA the very next year.

Like what more does this team need to see from its CHL scouts? Their performance has been pathetic since Brian Burke era. How has nobody noticed that the USA scouts are doing laps around them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad