Post-Game Talk: #68: Sabres 1 at FLYERS 3, Saturday, Mar. 7, 2020, 7:00 p.m. ET

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
The train keeps rollin’ rollin’ rollin’.

Kind of a letdown game, and Hart stole a few points for them. Can’t remember the last game where our goalie was really tested like last night. Before the streak, probably.

Tied for 4th overall, 2 points out of 2nd overall. Only two teams have more wins than we do.

Damn impressive. Two big games this week. Time to show the old guard that there’s a new contender.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
6883395_8e78e.gif

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Um I'm sorry I just watched the third period highlights and why the f*** was that play where Hart didn't have his blocker blown dead?

No matter, he made 2 saves, who needs it

~NHL~

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
What kinda shots were the Flyers giving up to the Sabres? I see a big advantage to the away team...

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Was at a friend of mines 50th birthday party and didn’t see any of this game. There was a reason why I was concerned. Thank you Hart and of course our Captain Giroux.
The Farabee goal. My God, I am so used to that happening against us BH(Before Hart)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One of those games where Corsi is misleading, Flyers won the xGF and HDCF game.

Which shows you the vale of a disciplined system, even though they were a stride slow all night, and couldn't keep possession, they kept shots outside and quickly cleared rebounds away from Hart. They got way too cute against a struggling goaltender, but Buffalo had fresher legs and were breaking up passes by jumping the passing lanes.

It was another Hart "efficiency" game, no spectacular saves, just always in position, no softees, few bad rebounds (most cleared to the boards or corners). No chance on the one goal he allowed.

Sanheim/Myers are going to have us pulling our hair out, they look so good at times, then make those D-zone flubs, especially Sanheim who still needs to be more consistent defensively.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We have been getting lots of depth scoring the last month or so. Tonight, we didn't get get that help and we needed the top line vets to step up and they did.

Against a better team, we likely lose that game. But we got the win and time to move on to the next one. We have lots of hard games coming up against good teams while others play lesser teams. Going to be tough to stay with Wash and ahead of Pitt.

Reactions: Rebels57

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
We have been getting lots of depth scoring the last month or so. Tonight, we didn't get get that help and we needed the top line vets to step up and they did.

Against a better team, we likely lose that game. But we got the win and time to move on to the next one. We have lots of hard games coming up against good teams while others play lesser teams. Going to be tough to stay with Wash and ahead of Pitt.

Even the great teams have poor games. They found a way last night. I think everyone in the Flyers room knows they need to be a lot better against Boston

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hart was amazing. But G was the 2nd best player last night. He looked like a young G. This could be the year his captaincy shines through.

no1b4me

Sep 17, 2007
Wasn't the worst game of the season. The 5-0 loss to the Devils was to me. Can't blame that one on Hagg or Thompson though they didn't play but Ghost did haha. Anyways, should we give Buffalo some credit here for getting in the lanes and pretty much killing the flow? Flyers were playing a bit fancy and taking some attempted passes for granted. Some days bad teams have good games (even thought they lost) like good teams have bad games. Hopefully this was just a blip.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Wasn't the worst game of the season. The 5-0 loss to the Devils was to me. Can't blame that one on Hagg or Thompson though they didn't play but Ghost did haha. Anyways, should we give Buffalo some credit here for getting in the lanes and pretty much killing the flow? Flyers were playing a bit fancy and taking some attempted passes for granted. Some days bad teams have good games (even thought they lost) like good teams have bad games. Hopefully this was just a blip.
We outplayed Devils, outshooting to by 20 shots at least.

This game was worse by far. If Elliott was in net, we lost this game in 1st period already.

no1b4me

Sep 17, 2007
More shots doesn't tell the whole story though. Low quality shots are still counted when there was little chance they are going in.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Has Pitlick had a bad game in 40 games ?
G and Hart were monsters.

I don’t see the full Thompson hate, thought he was ok and the PK was big again

The PK was good but I think Thompson was its weakest link out of the forwards. He lacks the reach , anticipation or first step to provide much help in a pressure PK scheme. His duo with Coots seems to be the most consistently passive now. Thompson doesn't step out into passing lanes aggressively enough to allow Coots to pressure and when the puck is on Thompsons side he doesn't pressure enough for my liking, preferring to stay back in shooting lanes which isn't what our PK is built around.

Thompsons strength should make him better along the walls then he is. If he arrives to the puck battle early enough he seems to win a lot of them. But he usually is a quarter step behind arriving to the puck battle, he starts a lot of puck battles at a positioning disadvantage because of it.

Overall I feel like he has been slightly better along the walls then Bunny while being no more effective in the open ice and being less effective on the forecheck. He's fine as a 13th forward but when JVR comes back I really hope they go with Laughton and Grant down the middle and keep Farabee in at wing instead (even though I prefer Laughton at wing.)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

This game was worse by far. If Elliott was in net, we lost this game in 1st period already.
Yeah, if we look at what actually happened instead of just the end result, that game wasn't even bad. It was just terrible terrible luck. You play like that in 100 games and you win 99 of them.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Yeah, if we look at what actually happened instead of just the end result, that game wasn't even bad. It was just terrible terrible luck. You play like that in 100 games and you win 99 of them.

no1b4me

Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I have to take that back. I just went back thru the game, you are right. Last night was worse by a fair margin.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Having more shots on goal does not always equal outplaying. A 5-0 loss is a 5-0 loss and should not be sugarcoated because of SOG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad