Post-Game Talk: #68: FLYERS 5 at Islanders 2, Saturday, Mar. 9, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sorry Dead, this seasons non-playoff falls squarely on Hak. The goalies WERE healthy to start the season. Maybe he should have played Sanheim more and gotten those wins a different way....by scoring more.
Yes and Yes.

Hakstol got a mediocre team to the playoffs 2 of 3 years, and was deep sixed by his GM giving him zero healthy goaltenders to start the season.
No coach can succeed with a .880 S%. Q could only lead Chicago to 76 points with goaltenders posting a .911 S% last year.

So yea, Hakstol exceeded reasonable expectations for a rebuilding team with half the roster composed of marginal NHL players (as so many have reiterated for four years).
If Lyon hadn't gotten injured in August, and could have carried the team until Elliott was healthy and Hart was ready, we're in the playoffs.
He didn't have to be good, just mediocre and we have 6-8 more points.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
There was a shift in the second I think where Patrick, G, and JVR where in the offensive zone with Myers and Ghost, and they looked like the Harlem Globetrotters out there keeping the puck away from the Islanders.

How bad is Grondo that he can't see he should be doing that every chance he gets? Because watching that shift was like watching precision art in progress.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sorry Dead, this seasons non-playoff falls squarely on Hak. The goalies WERE healthy to start the season. Maybe he should have played Sanheim more and gotten those wins a different way....by scoring more.
They had a league-worst save %, by far, up to Hak’s fire date.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
If jake is suspended that’s a joke. Looks like he saw him coming and decides to to brace for it and throw some momentum back.

Hit was in jakes back. Not a head shot as he should be allowed to do this if not it’s a blindside charging

Reactions: Domino666

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
They had a league-worst save %, by far, up to Hak’s fire date.
ok....I never said they didn't. Maybe they should have fixed the PK. Maybe they should have changed their style of play. Maybe they should have played their puzzy Dman Sanheim more than Folin. Maybe not demote a 2nd liner to the 4th line and promote Weise. Etc...

He could have done a number of things, and didn't. And the things he did, were dumb. Haks inability to adjust and poor communication ran it's course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
If jake is suspended that’s a joke. Looks like he saw him coming and decides to to brace for it and throw some momentum back.

Hit was in jakes back. Not a head shot as he should be allowed to do this if not it’s a blindside charging
If Jake doesn’t see Boychuk then what? He gets destroyed and then we would have to suffer through more stupid reffing and even more idiotic DoPS explanations

Reactions: Tripod

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Its baffling to me that in this day and age there are people who think save percentage is squarely on goalies and not influenced by system.

Goalie play in general is dependent upon so much more than just the goalie. As much as I like Hart , i know he is not the savior and I hope this organization does not get too attached. I think the the key with goaltenders is to have a ton of them, and not have any signed to bad contracts. Right now goalie is our deepest position and I hope we keep drafting them.

Reactions: Lotusflower

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Goalie play in general is dependent upon so much more than just the goalie. As much as I like Hart , i know he is not the savior and I hope this organization does not get too attached. I think the the key with goaltenders is to have a ton of them, and not have any signed to bad contracts. Right now goalie is our deepest position and I hope we keep drafting them.

This is the complete opposite end of the spectrum and equally as wrong.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Hart is awesome but unless he's Hasek your 1C/2C and top 4 defense are all gonna be more indicative of longterm success.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
ok....I never said they didn't. Maybe they should have fixed the PK. Maybe they should have changed their style of play. Maybe they should have played their puzzy Dman Sanheim more than Folin. Maybe not demote a 2nd liner to the 4th line and promote Weise. Etc...

He could have done a number of things, and didn't. And the things he did, were dumb. Haks inability to adjust and poor communication ran it's course.

How is Hak still being defended? WTF :facepalm:

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

S% is a quick and dirty proxy, S% for scoring chances and high danger scoring chances would be more accurate, as it accounts for whether the defense is allowing good scoring opportunities.

If you look at the underlying metrics, there is very little change since Gordon took over, the biggest changes have been the goalie play (a huge improvement in S% in all situations) and shooting % on the PP.

Scapegoating Hakstol doesn't change the underlying reality that this is not a good team, that it is only competitive with above average goaltending (see the Caps game), and that continued improvement, not just a new coach, is required.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
again i disagree. Greiss and and lehner are proving that right now.

One instance does not make a rule. There are very few examples of an exceptional coach getting buy in from their team to prove this point. Before this, Trotz had several vezina candidates/winners.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I typed in Voracek’s name into the twitter search & saw some guy complaining about how North American’s refer to him as “Jake” & not “Jakub”. :laugh:

858.gif

Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad