Post-Game Talk: #68: FLYERS 5 at Islanders 2, Saturday, Mar. 9, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
It was not a concussion though, looked like a shoulder injury which furthers the point that it was a questionable hit. Has nothing to do with the lawsuit, I am surprised many Flyers fans are questioning the idea that this should be a hearing.
The discipline is based in the injury... not saying it was a bad hit, but by NHL standards today it is.

Would be a sad game to watch Peter Forsberg because he did this all the time. Just the way the NHL is today. Puck wasn’t there, but, with today’s game, yes there should be a hearing.

I don’t think that it’s as bad as most are saying. Voracek is bracing for the hit and in turn, Boychuck got injured. Voracek didn’t change his path to the puck- he just braced for it. Sadly, it ended in injury and the NYI team acted in an embarrassing way, but I’m ok with it because the NHL today is boring and rivalries are “dying”.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Holy **** this makes me angry.

Someone here needs to buy Jake a few rounds and ask him what he really thought of Hakstol.

Always thought Jake was goofy, but he's somehow become the Dad of the team.
This is my plan for summer!

Every summer Jake has a action in Mikulov (its about only 60km from me) with his foundation. They have been playing soccer then some beers and speak with fans. I was never there yet, but this year I really want to go there and ask him.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
The speed he was going with reminded me of that McQuaid-Richards elbow fail from 2011 :laugh:
DisfiguredLonelyHousefly-max-1mb.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm just glad Boychuk survived this attempt on his life.

Hopefully Voracek thinks hard about this during his time in jail.

I hope he offers Jake out on 3/23 and gets the shit kicked out of him. Ive hated him since his days with that jerkoff 2011 Bruins team that popularized jumping anyone that throws a clean hit.

My money is on Jake in a fight between the two.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You should have been born ~15 years earlier so you could have seen Clarke vs. Kharlamov.

Personally I tend to think Clarke was a ****head for doing that stuff, but w/e. Cold war mentality and all.
I watched that whole series on tape as a kid. I read multiple books about it. I’ve seen Bobby Clarke interviewed about it numerous times. It boils down to, “I’m not proud of it, but I don’t regret it.” It’s one of the things about hockey I love.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Trotz don't look brilliant (sic) blah blah blah
Give it a rest dude.
Has Trotz, and the Islanders, achieved more success to this point in the season than what was expected of them before the season started?
Had the Flyers most recent ex-Head Coach surpassed team achievement expectations in the 3.5 years he was the coach?

Reactions: YearlyLottery

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
He’s produced well in the AHL and in short NHL stints prior to this season.

He’s flash and substance. Might be worth the headache

He's scored a whopping 24 goals in 144 AHL games over three years. I have a strong bias for playmakers over snipers, but that's kinda pathetic for a 23 year old with his skill level, and it's not like he's an assist machine down there either. Hard pass.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Give it a rest dude.
Has Trotz, and the Islanders, achieved more success to this point in the season than what was expected of them before the season started?
Had the Flyers most recent ex-Head Coach surpassed team achievement expectations in the 3.5 years he was the coach?

Yes and Yes.

Hakstol got a mediocre team to the playoffs 2 of 3 years, and was deep sixed by his GM giving him zero healthy goaltenders to start the season.
No coach can succeed with a .880 S%. Q could only lead Chicago to 76 points with goaltenders posting a .911 S% last year.

So yea, Hakstol exceeded reasonable expectations for a rebuilding team with half the roster composed of marginal NHL players (as so many have reiterated for four years).
If Lyon hadn't gotten injured in August, and could have carried the team until Elliott was healthy and Hart was ready, we're in the playoffs.
He didn't have to be good, just mediocre and we have 6-8 more points.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Im sorry. I am not buying this Boychuk was going for the puck. He had Jake lined up and Jake moved. Boychuk initiates the contact. Fine its a interference penalty. I didn’t think it was a major but whatever. Jake has a hearing for this? Ridiculous.
You can never tell how Parros is going to rule on this. Not like he has ever been consistent or moved the goalposts on hits or dirty plays before.

Last edited:

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The Flyers were always a bubble team during Hakstol's tenure. Making the playoffs in the last few games of the season, or not being eliminated until those final few games defines bubble. That they landed to the positive both times was a plus. That they were rofl-stomped both times is a negative. That is not an endearing, nor encouraging, resume by the HC, SV% warts and all.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Im sorry. I am not buying this Boychuk was going for the puck. He had Jake lined up and moved. Boychuk initiates the contact. Fine its a interference penalty. I didn’t think it was a major but whatever. Jake has a hearing for this? Ridiculous.
You can never tell how Parros is going to rule on this. Not like he has ever been consistent or moved the goalposts on hits or dirty plays before.
Yeah, Islanders fans are just salty they got dominated and mad he got hurt. The hit should have just been an interference minor and nothing more.

Problem is the league is unpredictable and inconsistent when it comes to suspensions so it's impossible to know what they'll do.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Yeah, Islanders fans are just salty they got dominated and mad he got hurt. The hit should have just been an interference minor and nothing more.

Problem is the league is unpredictable and inconsistent when it comes to suspensions so it's impossible to know what they'll do.

I get Islander fans being upset Boychuk being hurt. I would be too. But if you sit back after emotions have calmed down and watch the tape everyone can see Boychuk was lining Jake up and Jake moved. Sucks that Boychuk got hurt. But this is not a play that requires supplemental discipline. Interference is fine. Just a overreaction by everyone

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Flyers were always a bubble team during Hakstol's tenure. Making the playoffs in the last few games of the season, or not being eliminated until those final few games defines bubble. That they landed to the positive both times was a plus. That they were rofl-stomped both times is a negative. That is not an endearing, nor encouraging, resume by the HC, SV% warts and all.

Flyers were a bubble team under Lavi in 2011-12, when they got blown out in the second round after MAF gifted them a first round win, missed the playoffs the next year, got in when Berube replaced Lavi, missed the playoffs the next year, got in under Hakstol, . . .

Berube and Hakstol weren't awful coaches, they could do no more than Lavi did, try to get a mediocre team to play above its level for a year, then watch as it falls back the next year. The fundamental problem has been lack of depth for almost the entire decade, just think of the parade of scrubs that triggered thousands of posts of whining - but the problem was always the mess Holmgren left behind. A better coach might have made a marginal difference, but talent will out.

Even this year, we've struggled to field a dependable 3rd line, the 4th line has been up and down, defensemen shuffled around pairs . . .
We're getting closer to having legitimate depth, but probably are 2 years away because the kids need a little time to grow up even after they make the NHL - just look at Myers with the "deer in the headlights" look at times.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
The fact that there is even a hearing for Voracek shows how soft the league, and some of its fans, have gotten. Referees looked completely inept at handling the chippiness.
That play and his postgame remarks are a thing of beauty. The NHL needs more characters like Voracek. It’s so bland these days.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad