OT: 67th Obsequious Banter Thread: At Least We’re Not The Leafs, Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Judgment Day was the first ever album i owned. It is still my favorite Method Man record.

Liquid Swords is my favorite of the bunch, but i would likely rate Judgment Day higher, simply for the nostalgic purposes.

Ghostface has the best all around discography, though, IMO.

Agreed on Ghost

Liquid Swords and Ironman are my favorites. They absolutely dominated rap in the mid-90's before it really started getting commercialized. It seemed like every other week there was a new Wu album dropped that was actually good. Unlike that shitty south No Limit stuff that followed the same pattern a few years later

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I have a theory that Nas actually ruined Hip Hop (i know this theory isn't exclusive to me).

Early 90s you had De La Soul (produced by Prince Paul), Gangstarr (DJ Premier), Pete Rock and CL Smooth, and a list of other rappers working almost exclusively with one beat maker.

Then Nas had Illmatic where it was a list of All Star Producers. A few years later it became cool to blow your budget on whoever was popular at the time, and you started screaming the producer's name on the track just to accentuate that more often.

I'd really like to see an alternative universe without Illmatic.

My favorite Hip Hop records to this day are Rip the Jacker (Canibus), Nia and Blazing Arrow (Blackalicious), Illadelph Halflife (The Roots), all of which had a singular sonic approach due to one beat maker handling the production.

Reactions: Ruck Over

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I have a theory that Nas actually ruined Hip Hop (i know this theory isn't exclusive to me).

Early 90s you had De La Soul (produced by Prince Paul), Gangstarr (DJ Premier), Pete Rock and CL Smooth, and a list of other rappers working almost exclusively with one beat maker.

Then Nas had Illmatic where it was a list of All Star Producers. A few years later it became cool to blow your budget on whoever was popular at the time, and you started screaming the producer's name on the track just to accentuate that more often.

I'd really like to see an alternative universe without Illmatic.

My favorite Hip Hop records to this day are Rip the Jacker (Canibus), Nia and Blazing Arrow (Blackalicious), Illadelph Halflife (The Roots), all of which had a singular sonic approach due to one beat maker handling the production.
Hip hop isn’t ruined.

Reactions: Lotusflower

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Hip Hop for "Me" is a better statement. But you are right. I should stick with "Hip Hop changed"

I became disenchanted with Hip Hop for uniquely personal reasons, but I still think there is some decent stuff out there.

I really don't listen to hip hop or rap, but I really do like Run The Jewels.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I really don't listen to hip hop or rap, but I really do like Run The Jewels.

I maintain that Black Thought is the greatest rapper of all time. So The Roots are the only time i get excited for Hip Hop in general.

I would love some new Andre 3000 stuff, though. RtJ is quite phenomenal, but it just doesn't grip me past a couple of listens.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Hip Hop for "Me" is a better statement. But you are right. I should stick with "Hip Hop changed"

I became disenchanted with Hip Hop for uniquely personal reasons, but I still think there is some decent stuff out there.
Hip-hop, as an overarching culture not just the music, might be the most important cultural creation to emerge in the 20th century. It's easily the most all-encompassing. Its been the dominant youth culture in the world for going on 30 years now.

It simply got so big and ubiquitous that it could no longer be policed and defined by those who actually had a cultural connection to the roots of the format. Its dominance begets a natural progression to adaptation.

Which is why for many non-english speakers the first english word they know is the n-word

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Agreed on Ghost

Liquid Swords and Ironman are my favorites. They absolutely dominated rap in the mid-90's before it really started getting commercialized. It seemed like every other week there was a new Wu album dropped that was actually good. Unlike that ****ty south No Limit stuff that followed the same pattern a few years later

Love this album. GZA came through NYC and Philly doing it within the last week. We were going to the Manhattan show because it was with a full band, but had to swap for the Philly one last minute. Outstanding show. Well worth it if it comes around again.

The Low End Theory. It’s perfect.

While we’re on music, look at this steaming pile that’s all over my timeline tonight. My man has the same awful taste as noted Bon Jovi acolyte @Captain Dave Poulin ;)

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Hip-hop, as an overarching culture not just the music, might be the most important cultural creation to emerge in the 20th century. It's easily the most all-encompassing. Its been the dominant youth culture in the world for going on 30 years now.

It simply got so big and ubiquitous that it could no longer be policed and defined by those who actually had a cultural connection to the roots of the format. Its dominance begets a natural progression to adaptation.

Which is why for many non-english speakers the first english word they know is the n-word

Oh, i'm aware. I was a giant Hip Hop Head growing up. I was one of those pretentious guys who only listened to "Real Hip Hop."

I'm only critical of it because of the impact it had on my life, and what i experienced as I aged. Still holds a very dear place in my heart. Especially between 98-2006

Edit: I had no idea that most non-english speakers' first word was that. That's really strange, but interesting.

Last edited:

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Love this album. GZA came through NYC and Philly doing it within the last week. We were going to the Manhattan show because it was with a full band, but had to swap for the Philly one last minute. Outstanding show. Well worth it if it comes around again.

Low End Theory is magical. I have it in my top 20 Hip Hop records of all time.

I'm gonna post that later. I enjoy Hip Hop chats. My roommate is a Hip Hop Journalist and whenever he's in town, its my favorite conversation

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

While we’re on music, look at this steaming pile that’s all over my timeline tonight. My man has the same awful taste as noted Bon Jovi acolyte @Captain Dave Poulin ;)

Has that Tweeter not heard of Michigan, Illinois, New York, or California? Each of those states demolishes NJ.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
For Anyone interested:

My Top 20 Hip Hop Records

De La SoulStakes Is High1996
The Last EmperorMusic, Magic, Myth2003
The RootsGame Theory2006
AstronautalisThis Is Our Science2011
NasIllmatic1994
EminemThe Marshall Mathers LP2000
A Tribe Called QuestThe Low End Theory1991
De La SoulBuhloon Mindstate1993
Louis LogicMisery Loves Comedy2006
The RootsDo You Want More?!?1994
Mos DefBlack On Both Sides1999
Jedi Mind TricksViolent By Design2000
CommonLike Water for Chocolate2000
OutkastAquemini1998
Pete Rock and CL SmoothThe Main Ingredient1994
Lauryn HillThe Miseducation of Lauryn Hill1996
BlackaliciousBlazing Arrow2002
The RootsIlladelph Halflife1996
BlackaliciousNia1999
CanibusRip the Jacker2003
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

That is just ****ed. Bruce I love (from 1975-85), Whitney I lusted after badly for a while, but the other two can eat it. Sinatra is not at fault - I just hate all the fedora-wearing, poker-playing dip****s who think they are part of some Nouvelle Rat Pack when they are really just cookie-cutter nothing turds from Nowheresville. Bon Jovi is self-evidently the worst ever.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Has that Tweeter not heard of Michigan, Illinois, New York, or California? Each of those states demolishes NJ.

Michigan was my immediate reaction, but I struggle with how to separate groups from solo artists on something like this.

That is just ****ed. Bruce I love (from 1975-85), Whitney I lusted after badly for a while, but the other two can eat it. Sinatra is not at fault - I just hate all the fedora-wearing, poker-playing dip****s who think they are part of some Nouvelle Rat Pack when they are really just cookie-cutter nothing turds from Nowheresville. Bon Jovi is self-evidently the worst ever.

:laugh: I’m sorry, sir. Your Bon Jovi is my Springsteen, so imagine how awful I think that list is.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
For Anyone interested:

My Top 20 Hip Hop Records

De La SoulStakes Is High1996
The Last EmperorMusic, Magic, Myth2003
The RootsGame Theory2006
AstronautalisThis Is Our Science2011
NasIllmatic1994
EminemThe Marshall Mathers LP2000
A Tribe Called QuestThe Low End Theory1991
De La SoulBuhloon Mindstate1993
Louis LogicMisery Loves Comedy2006
The RootsDo You Want More?!?1994
Mos DefBlack On Both Sides1999
Jedi Mind TricksViolent By Design2000
CommonLike Water for Chocolate2000
OutkastAquemini1998
Pete Rock and CL SmoothThe Main Ingredient1994
Lauryn HillThe Miseducation of Lauryn Hill1996
BlackaliciousBlazing Arrow2002
The RootsIlladelph Halflife1996
BlackaliciousNia1999
CanibusRip the Jacker2003
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'm not a connoisseur of hip hop or anything, but a couple that have to be on a greatest list:

Digable Planets - Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space)
Eazy E - Eazy Duz It

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Michigan was my immediate reaction, but I struggle with how to separate groups from solo artists on something like this.

:laugh: I’m sorry, sir. Your Bon Jovi is my Springsteen, so imagine how awful I think that list is.

I'm mostly going with single artists with exceptions like Outkast, though some of those Michigan groups are too good to ignore; especially since many of them were studio musicians that were flat-out culturally dominant.

Also for Georgia, you can ignore the rest of the Allman Brothers Band and just look at Duane Allman if you'd like. Though that isn't nice to Dickey Betts who is a monster guitarist in his own right, but he's from Florida which isn't Georgia.

Which reminds me that Florida has probably pumped out more greats too. Tom Petty, the grotesquely underrated Outlaws who are at least better than Bon Jovi, Jim Morrison...Jaco Pastorius, maybe?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Minnesota blows them way out of the water too.

Good call. I know several pro musicians and every one of them has cycled through or permanently settled in Minnesota, so that probably indicates something, but I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

My state of Virginia has Ella Fitzgerald, Victor Wooten, and Ralph Stanley. We won't discuss Gwar. Thus ends the list as far as I know it.

Edit: Actually no, we don't have Victor Wooten. I'm recalling now he's from the Midwest originally or something. Ella Fitzgerald and Ralph Stanley is all I guess.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad