Post-Game Talk: #67: Hurricanes 1 at FLYERS 4, Thursday, Mar. 5, 2020, 7:00 p.m. ET

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I noticed the other night how the team is now completing basic passes, tape-to-tape, especially in transition, but you know what else they’re doing now? Not going offside. The Brayden Schenn Special, used to happen multiple times per game, even after he was traded, under Hakstol and Gordon. Fundamental stuff, but two or three extra chances per game can make the difference.

Really impressed by the team defense and forechecking. It’s going to be a roller coaster over the next two months, but they really do have a chance. I believe.

This team is ridiculously efficient defending and in transition and those scoring chances that were being squandered earlier in the year are now going into the net.

This team is legit. I don't think there's a Flyer team that had the depth + goaltending that this team does unless you go back to 1987. The Lindros years and Primeau years always featured teams with goon squads on the fourth line, really mediocre bottom pair defensemen and/or weak goaltending.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
We're just too good, guys. It's getting boring now. There's no suspense... we just know we're going to win.
giphy.gif

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I wouldn't call the Flatlanders "his group," rather it's a trio of three buddies from Lubbock, Texas.
Interview - Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Jimmy has the high lonesome voice, Joe Ely the mid-range and the rocker of the group, Butch Hancock has limited vocal skills but a great songwriter.
Jimmy has written some great songs, including "Dallas" but my favorite Gilmore song is a cover of an Al Strehli song, "Sante Fe Thief."

Oh I know that characterization was awkward-equal weight for Joe, Butch and Jimmie. Everything on that album is sublime, one of my favorite recordings of any genre..."Santa Fe Thief" is a good choice, as are "Where You Going" and "Another Colorado" (which is one he wrote, I believe). His music, and that record in particular, just evokes a lush and mystical West--even despite how insistently clean and Nashville the album is at times. It's cinematic in a way, but all the characters and places could be existing in 1890 just as well as 1990 (at least to me).

The Flyers are good.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
We're just too good, guys. It's getting boring now. There's no suspense... we just know we're going to win.

At 5v5...
41.18 CF% (But shots on net were 30-29 in our favor)
54.68 xGF%
57.89 HDCF%

Quality over quantity. gg ez

That's kinda what I was saying with my hang around/snap the neck/hang with the corpse comment after last game. They waited a little longer last night to kill them, but it was the same effect...last 15 to 30 minutes of most of these games we're just babysitting a lifeless husk of an opponent. I feel like I've spent all these third periods mostly watching other relevant games (last night had it on a lotta Rangers/Caps) or just scrolling around on my phone, occasionally flip back to the orange guys. Only really have to keep one eye on them lately.

I'm not complaining about any of that, it's just a new experience for me. Even in other winning streaks you occasionally have to mount a comeback or something.

Reactions: Rebels57

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Evgeni Farabee needs to start burying those numerous chances he gets.
Sanheim and Myers are going to be fun to watch going forward. Braun just solidly going about his business.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK has points in 8 of his last 10 games.

Not that it matters, as someone has been saying that any upgrade in 4th liners is minimal at best and pretty much irrelevant for the past several years.

giphy.gif

Are you saying the upgrade from Stewart to Andreoff is the reason for the Flyers' success?

We're not playing 4th line caliber players on the 4th line anymore, except for Thompson, and he's an example of a minimal upgrade over Bunnaman. But that's a luxury that's hard to sustain, and it's balanced by playing two 3rd/4th line tweeners in Grant and Pitlick on the 3rd line.

NAK is playing above my expectations (and those of probably everyone in the organization, including himself), we'll see if that is sustainable - 2.09 pp/60 is a bit ridiculous for a 4RW - some of it is a 15.9% shooting %, but mostly just a 4th line that right now is clicking.

"4th liners" last year, Raffl 1.30, Weise 1.25, Knight 1.20, Varone 1.14, Weal 1.03, Vorobyev 0.95, Lehtera 0.60
In 20 games, in limited minutes Bailey and NAK had 1 point between them.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Are you saying the upgrade from Stewart to Andreoff is the reason for the Flyers' success?

We're not playing 4th line caliber players on the 4th line anymore, except for Thompson, and he's an example of a minimal upgrade over Bunnaman. But that's a luxury that's hard to sustain, and it's balanced by playing two 3rd/4th line tweeners in Grant and Pitlick on the 3rd line.

NAK is playing above my expectations (and those of probably everyone in the organization, including himself), we'll see if that is sustainable - 2.09 pp/60 is a bit ridiculous for a 4RW - some of it is a 15.9% shooting %, but mostly just a 4th line that right now is clicking.

"4th liners" last year, Raffl 1.30, Weise 1.25, Knight 1.20, Varone 1.14, Weal 1.03, Vorobyev 0.95, Lehtera 0.60
In 20 games, in limited minutes Bailey and NAK had 1 point between them.
We shall if it is sustainable and even if it isn't, going forward if he (or anyone in the system) can be a legit 4th line player making low money that's perfectly fine. If you can get 17-20 points and good defensively play from a 4th line player cant ask for much more. These are the type of players you need to develop so you can pay the elite ones.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
Michael Raffl his GWG yesterday was already his 18th GWG in the NHL.
Its not that high number normaly.
But when u see that he has just 78 Goals than it is amazing.
23% of his goals are GWG thats just crazy and one of the best Nr. in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad