Which will happen first?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In his first game back? That guy disappears for weeks/months on end just as much as Kassian gets criticized for.

One is a young player improving, steadily, and getting better every year while the other is in the twilight of a career in which he has coasted all the way after being a high pick.

Of the two its quite clear who has, and has had to work harder to get to this level and who is for the most part actually the better player.

I don't get too dissuaded by atypical runs of players. Kass is on one of his extremely rare runs right now. Nice that we're getting it but the same player was asleep since the cup run.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So one play in 2nd period that doesn't get noticed. Drai makes a beauty pass to Gagner, who defers and one touch passes it over to Chiasson, who is staring at a wide open cage but is getting mugged BEFORE the puck came to him.

Both Drai and Gagner wondering why no penalty. That's a goal, game, set, match without the blatant interference.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Of the two its quite clear who has, and has had to work harder to get to this level and who is for the most part actually the better player.
I don’t think that’s clear at all. If I had to pick I’d choose Kassian all day every day. And anyway, the post I quoted was you wanting to replace RNH with Khaira. That’s not a good plan any way you look at it.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Yes15.gif

[/thread]

Reactions: Del Preston

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A few people asked in GDT why some players get unconditional regard from me.

In short they are; Drai, McD, Nurse.

These all being young developing horses that have gotten better EVERY season, accept every tenet of physical hockey play and are resolute in growing their game. I will defend players like that always, and every time. But those are the only 3 leaders on this team in my book.

Another player, whom I'm being expected to have similar grace for has NEVER carried a team, has NEVER had the pressure of being "The guy" and has always been content to be an also ran allowing other players to pull the reins. Nuge happens to be 26 in a month, is the Vet Center on this team, he's only gotten back to being almost as good as his rookie season (his best season still) and has not had the same determination to improve. He's left a lot on the table imo. He thinks the game on an excellent level and I think he could have been an ongoing allstar in this league. he's chosen to be less, to take less risks out there, to play a safer game. He's not balls out, and he's not giving it his all.

So why would I grant Nuge unconditional regard like I do for the leaders on this team who are always trying to get better?

This is not to say I wouldn't have Nuge on the team but I expected better in his career. Unfortunately NHL forwards hit peak now by Nuge's age and this as good as it gets. Sure he's a good player, he should have been better.

Reactions: MessierII

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t think that’s clear at all. If I had to pick I’d choose Kassian all day every day. And anyway, the post I quoted was you wanting to replace RNH with Khaira. That’s not a good plan any way you look at it.

That wasn't meant by me. If you read that in that's fine. Nor was I thinking first line. I was thinking rotating in with Draisaitl. Khaira doesn't have very good mitts, I know that. But he's a good chaos player that can get some energy going.

This game kind of worried me because the Oilers figured the game was over. We lacked something as the game went on.

That said, McD + Nuge is not a "good plan" That combo, in EV minutes w/o Draisaitl have run NEGATIVE goal differential this season. Which is really an indictment of how poorly, overall, they play together. They get caught forward as a rule.

McDrai together w/o Nuge are gold. The converse can't happen, and shouldn't be happening. McNuge may appear to do well as they get some production done, but they give up more than they get when paired together which is a HUGE concern.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
That wasn't meant by me. If you read that in that's fine. Nor was I thinking first line. I was thinking rotating in with Draisaitl. Khaira doesn't have very good mitts, I know that. But he's a good chaos player that can get some energy going
No, I know it wasn’t your idea. But you were replying to, and agreeing with, someone else who had suggested Khaira instead of RNH in top six. In my opinion Khaira can’t carry Kassian jockstrap at this stage of his career. Maybe he gets there someday, I have my doubts.

RNH has to play top six. It’s not even a point of debate. I agree with you that it’s a shame he doesn’t seem to mesh well with, or be motivated by, playing with McDavid/Draisaitl. What can you do though.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No, I know it wasn’t your idea. But you were replying to, and agreeing with, someone else who had suggested Khaira instead of RNH in top six. In my opinion Khaira can’t carry Kassian jockstrap at this stage of his career. Maybe he gets there someday, I have my doubts.

RNH has to play top six. It’s not even a point of debate. I agree with you that it’s a shame he doesn’t seem to mesh well with, or be motivated by, playing with McDavid/Draisaitl. What can you do though.

I don't pay much attention at all to GDT's and rarely post during the games. I only get brief looks between periods as anything is better than watching Remenda, Quinn, and Principe, Debrusk. So if theres a context in which my post occurred in I would mostly miss that, just see some of the posts. Really I shouldn't post at all in GDT's during games as comments here just get too heated.

I don't agree that RNH Has to play with either McD or Drai, his best EV play this season is when he's not playing with those guys. It seems as if he tries to cheat offense when he gets out with the guns. He's probably trying to think he can belong with them when really he can't. If he worked hard the entire last 8yrs he might be closer to their level or be able to play with them but McDrai have already left him in the dust. He seems most focused in a quiet game outside the Allstar Guns.

With this config of lineup McDrai together and Nuge Centering 2nd line probably makes the most sense. But it has to rotate because those configs get scouted. Its hard to evaluate because there really are no correct line configs with this roster depth.

Hey, I have a high opinion of Kassians skill level. I expected him to be able to elevate to Maroon levels here. He can do short stetches but no sustain. he really is a talented player with hands. But he has a lot of noise in his brain or something...;) He can make the stupidest plays and get so far from his ideal game. Its all hard to understand. Kass is very good on pk and yet EV he's a goal against disaster. How can that be?

Reactions: harpoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad