GDT: #67 ⋅ ANA @ WPG ⋅ 5:00 PM PDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
How any of you can watch this nonsense is beyond me, but I do enjoy lurking so thanks for torturing yourselves. Being this bad makes up for some good comedy at least. What a disaster of a season, but there were few good games in the beginning, and... That's it, I guess.

2006-2017 those were the days, huh. Thanks to everyone keeping the forum alive, and may this train wreck of a team someday climb up from this bottom. It can't get any worse, right?

potatopieee

Sep 23, 2018
How any of you can watch this nonsense is beyond me, but I do enjoy lurking so thanks for torturing yourselves. Being this bad makes up for some good comedy at least. What a disaster of a season, but there were few good games in the beginning, and... That's it, I guess.

2006-2017 those were the days, huh. Thanks to everyone keeping the forum alive, and may this train wreck of a team someday climb up from this bottom. It can't get any worse, right?
it cant be as bad as it was under eakins

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
In my line of work (and the NHL) it takes time for organizational changes to bear fruit. Expecting any dismissal this early in either of their tenures is foolish and unrealistic.
Agreed. The interim can be painful, and it can be difficult to see progress from the outside.

I will say I'm more confident in Verbeek than Cronin. It has to be difficult for him, but he's not exactly projecting an air of confidence in the process. And while I don't necessarily expect massive results this early, shouldn't there be some indication that guys are improving at playing his system? Cronin won't be fired, and I don't really think he should be, but I have less hope than I'd like to that he's the guy to get the team back to the playoffs. And McIlvane isn't exactly lighting the world on fire in the AHL, either.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Verbeek: "I'm happy with the coaching as far as establishing our culture, our accountability, our work ethic, and our compete. And, I think for me, that's been three [sic] of the things that were not at close, you know, at the last couple of years at, you know, for my standards, for our hockey team. And I think that we've taken big steps in that area. And that's important to developing and learning and as part as being able to win."

Verbeek: "More importantly, we have the last 20 games. We have an opportunity for us to push and to do something positive for next season."

Since the TDL, the Ducks have gone 0-4-0 and outscored 21 goals from our opposition to our 5 goals, including one shutout.

Yikes. I was really put off when Murray would BS the fans and this is either pure PR BS or Verbeek is clueless.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Yikes. I was really put off when Murray would BS the fans and this is either pure PR BS or Verbeek is clueless.
I don't necessarily agree. Those things in the quote are all about as intangible as it gets. And they're all things that are much better gauged internally than externally. Of course, at some point, the internal progress needs to result in external gains, otherwise it's meaningless. But I don't think we've reached that point.

In other words, there might be practice habits, workout habits, and other improvements that aren't showing up on the ice. If we look the same next year, then I think it's fair to question whether this is pure BS. And it might be pure BS now. But I don't think we're far enough into Cronin's tenure to determine that definitively. I know some people have questioned the team's compete level this year, but I think it's been mostly good.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
In my line of work (and the NHL) it takes time for organizational changes to bear fruit. Expecting any dismissal this early in either of their tenures is foolish and unrealistic.
It may be unrealistic, but it is not foolish. I have seen many efforts to change organization culture. Some of these efforts were successful, others were absolute disasters. Efforts that eventually were successful showed some initial impact by the two year mark. And that is where we are with Verbeek.

I would expect by this point for the players to at least be motivated to try, and not to be more than the lifeless group who look like they are beaten before the drop of the first puck. I don't expect a winning team at this point in time, but I expect progress. Someone needs to take responsibility for the current mess, and that someone starts with the General Manager and the Coach.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
It may be unrealistic, but it is not foolish. I have seen many efforts to change organization culture. Some of these efforts were successful, others were absolute disasters. Efforts that eventually were successful showed some initial impact by the two year mark. And that is where we are with Verbeek.

I would expect by this point for the players to at least be motivated to try, and not to be more than the lifeless group who look like they are beaten before the drop of the first puck. I don't expect a winning team at this point in time, but I expect progress. Someone needs to take responsibility for the current mess, and that someone starts with the General Manager and the Coach.
How do you know they're not motivated? They don't look like a lifeless group to me. They look frustrated and beaten down at times because when you've lost as much as they have, that's pretty difficult to avoid. But I don't think they've given up (outside of a few occasions of Gibson).

This is so hard to measure. How do we objectively determine how lifeless a bunch of hockey players look from our spots on the couch?

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
How do you know they're not motivated? They don't look like a lifeless group to me. They look frustrated and beaten down at times because when you've lost as much as they have, that's pretty difficult to avoid. But I don't think they've given up (outside of a few occasions of Gibson).

This is so hard to measure. How do we objectively determine how lifeless a bunch of hockey players look from our spots on the couch?

Agree and disagree. I think you can tell when a team has given up. Weve seen it a few times when a team has quit on a coach or season (ie, RC firing #1). But I dont think thats what we are seeing, I think like you said we are just seeing a group of guys that are frustrated with the season and at times down on themselves but I havent seen them give up.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Agree and disagree. I think you can tell when a team has given up. Weve seen it a few times when a team has quit on a coach or season (ie, RC firing #1). But I dont think thats what we are seeing, I think like you said we are just seeing a group of guys that are frustrated with the season and at times down on themselves but I havent seen them give up.
I agree that team absolutely quit on Carlyle (both times). But those were higher skilled teams who'd been successful, so we knew what their capabilities were when they were at full effort. Still tough to judge, maybe, but a whole lot easier than this current group. We have no idea what they're capable of.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
is that the worst lineup this team has iced in the last 5 years? because holy shit

ff8

Aug 25, 2022
nobody who is currently injured needs to return this season. What’s the point?

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022

I am not religious but I am against fair weather fandom. I watch. I suffer in hope. Someday

to quote Timothy 4:6-7 from the Bible.

For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Reactions: MCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia