OT: 66th Obsequious Banter Thread: Get your kicks in thread 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Let's do it. 6 golfers, top 4 in the money from your list of 6 count.

Pick any golfers you want, no tier.

Send me picks and I'll put them in a spreadsheet

@Captain Dave Poulin

I saw this after I posted that one above lol

BUT let's set up a draft for after this, before the next major, so we can have exclusive rights to our picks for the next three majors.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
What goes on in this thread? Is this where I should hang out in the off-season? Besides the Tainter thread of course
Whatever captures the imagination. Topics usually change within two pages or so. Seldom is something so universally captivating to become dominant outside of a circle-jerk (edit: haha, censor) call & response of a few individuals. Pop culture, movies, often get a lot of traction for a bit.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Whatever captures the imagination. Topics usually change within two pages or so. Seldom is something so universally captivating to become dominant outside of a circle-jerk (edit: haha, censor) call & response of a few individuals. Pop culture, movies, often get a lot of traction for a bit.
I'm in. Where do I sign up

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
@DancingPanther this reminds me, before you can post in here you have to go back to the old place and close and lock the gates. I have a feeling we have gotten all the good ones from there and there is only horror left, and we hardly need more of that.

For my buzzers:

giphy.gif
9b8e1e77fb5567787e117713c9c48bf8.gif
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f364b464e57663256715a4e6173773d3d2d3538363930333537382e313533363962363961326161336630633431303838363335353436362e676966

giphy.gif

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
@DancingPanther like this

So today, at work, beginning at 9:45 am EST, a group text chain began sharing this image -
eso1907a.jpg

To which, another participant exclaimed with joy he was just about to share this article-
Black Hole Image Revealed for First Time Ever

Eye of Sauron was mentioned, a gif of Spinal Tap was shared (a blacker black), I called folks nerds, then we jumped to GoT and a picture of Cersi on the throne crowned looks awfully similar to Lieutenant Yar after she joins the Romulans. A buddy forgot he was married for 8 going on 9 years, instead of 7, and someone got called adventerous for making a Brienne of Tarth/Tormund joke and it alluded to the amazon sex position. A buddy's wife was not impressed, and someone disparaged Magic: the Gathering.

While talking with a supervisor, I kept looking at my phone to keep up, because I was sitting behind her, and she was busy looking at her computer screen.

And in continuation of avoidance, I'm sharing this story instead of... doing something else.

Go!

But about the black hole, it's awesome. All those sci-fi pictures give an expectation of the grand. But the simplicity here, I dig it. An actual black hole, with a visible event-horizon. Makes me think of the movie Event Horizon, and of the show, The Expanse. Einstein didn't want to be right about black holes, but here one is. It's so far away, but if I were one of the crazy rich eccentric billionaires, I'd point a rocket at it with some satellite on it tomorrow. So many more questions, that can conceivably be answered now, instead of just theorized. And now that we found one (well, photographed one, others have been found common place like), there's only room to find (photograph) more.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

So today, at work, beginning at 9:45 am EST, a group text chain began sharing this image -
eso1907a.jpg

To which, another participant exclaimed with joy he was just about to share this article-

Eye of Sauron was mentioned, a gif of Spinal Tap was shared (a blacker black), I called folks nerds, then we jumped to GoT and a picture of Cersi on the throne crowned looks awfully similar to Lieutenant Yar after she joins the Romulans. A buddy forgot he was married for 8 going on 9 years, instead of 7, and someone got called adventerous for making a Brienne of Tarth/Tormund joke and it alluded to the amazon sex position. A buddy's wife was not impressed, and someone disparaged Magic: the Gathering.

While talking with a supervisor, I kept looking at my phone to keep up, because I was sitting behind her, and she was busy looking at her computer screen.

And in continuation of avoidance, I'm sharing this story instead of... doing something else.

Go!

But about the black hole, it's awesome. All those sci-fi pictures give an expectation of the grand. But the simplicity here, I dig it. An actual black hole, with a visible event-horizon. Makes me think of the movie Event Horizon, and of the show, The Expanse. Einstein didn't want to be right about black holes, but here one is. It's so far away, but if I were one of the crazy rich eccentric billionaires, I'd point a rocket at it with some satellite on it tomorrow. So many more questions, that can conceivably be answered now, instead of just theorized. And now that we found one (well, photographed one, others have been found common place like), there's only room to find (photograph) more.

I hope this is the first pic of the inside.

gl4c3hbak6rd2ch87v4p.jpg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Interstellar is supposed to feature an incredibly realistic simulation of a black hole as it would appear if you were in decent visual range. They went all out designing the thing and I seem to recall that the people involved actually published their work in a physics journal.

It was spiced up for the screen, i think this is the more raw simulation:

gyvaoclbwrn9zvwbphqz.png

The side rotating towards you is the brighter side and the side rotating away appears less bright. I don't know, Doppler effect with light, or something. The movie version has universal brightness. Though i guess there is a level of brightness where it would all look the same to us.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Interstellar is supposed to feature an incredibly realistic simulation of a black hole as it would appear if you were in decent visual range. They went all out designing the thing and I seem to recall that the people involved actually published their work in a physics journal.

It was spiced up for the screen, i think this is the more raw simulation:

gyvaoclbwrn9zvwbphqz.png

The side rotating towards you is the brighter side and the side rotating away appears less bright. I don't know, Doppler effect with light, or something. The movie version has universal brightness. Though i guess there is a level of brightness where it would all look the same to us.

Thanks for giving me a concussion, I appreciate it.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

eso1907a.jpg

Go!

You're missing the wide capture though. It's sick

ECW0T45.jpg

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
@DancingPanther this reminds me, before you can post in here you have to go back to the old place and close and lock the gates. I have a feeling we have gotten all the good ones from there and there is only horror left, and we hardly need more of that.
Many have come after me, maybe they were the ones that didn't shut the door on their way out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad