OT: 66th Obsequious Banter Thread: Get your kicks in thread 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Did it come across tonally more as a Marvel movie, or DC?
From the trailer it looks like actual fun, which apparently DC films may be allowed to have now. If they tried to make this character of all characters grimdark then everyone involved should've been fired. I'm hoping to see it, probably with the kids in tow, on Sunday or Monday.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Anyone watching Jeopardy? History being made tonight, or at least that's what Instagram told me

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Shazam gives me a guardians of the galaxy or whichever one has hulk arena fighting in space, vibes.
Don’t take it too seriously, it’s meant to be fun.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Anyone watching Jeopardy? History being made tonight, or at least that's what Instagram told me
I dvr'ed the episode. Toddlers are so tiring. The Vegas sports gambler is actually approaching the game from a different angle. It's fun to see someone dominate so quickly. His approach to the game is also interesting, going high value picks first, aggressively looking for the Daily Double early.

I'm happy you brought this up. Jeopardy is awesome.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
How does one go aggressively for the daily double? I always assumed the odds were evenly valued on where they could be, on any space.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
How does one go aggressively for the daily double? I always assumed the odds were evenly valued on where they could be, on any space.
Seldom is the Daily Double in one of the top two rows, and there's typically about 2.5 columns between the two (counting wrap-around). So just picking ad-hoc in the 1200, 1400, 1600 categories one is more likely to find them.

It is random, but a human either picked the space, or wrote the algorithm, so it's not super-duper-double-secret-probation-random.

edit: for clarity, I got the values mixed up, 1200, 1600, 2000. There is no 1400 space.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Seldom is the Daily Double in one of the top two rows, and there's typically about 2.5 columns between the two (counting wrap-around). So just picking ad-hoc in the 1200, 1400, 1600 categories one is more likely to find them.

It is random, but a human either picked the space, or wrote the algorithm, so it's not super-duper-double-secret-probation-random.
Thanks. I generally watch it most days but never noticed it not coming in the top two rows. Just never registered with me.
I still don’t know what the hell a true daily double is lol

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
it will take longer, the speed limits are lower vs interstates.

Just make sure your vehicle is in top shape. Having AAA ready is nice.

You will probably spend a few nights in a motel.

As you go through the mountains, Highly recommend you have Sirius.
Haha, hope none of the motels are shady. Thanks for the info

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I wish we had thought to have a golf draft earlier, like that covers the majors. I heard one this morning where they are picking 4 golfers each for the Masters and the total prize money earned by the 4 golfers determines the winner. The Masters is by far my least favorite of the four, but it would be cool to have something (bragging rights) at stake.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I wish we had thought to have a golf draft earlier, like that covers the majors. I heard one this morning where they are picking 4 golfers each for the Masters and the total prize money earned by the 4 golfers determines the winner. The Masters is by far my least favorite of the four, but it would be cool to have something (bragging rights) at stake.

Me Vs. You.

Go.

Guaranteed we both lose.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The only way you could possibly lose to me is if we put money on it - otherwise I would lose. I have finished second in every single fantasy league I have ever been in except the one year I won when I picked the three from the Cowboys a year before everyone else caught on.
yump.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
From the trailer it looks like actual fun, which apparently DC films may be allowed to have now. If they tried to make this character of all characters grimdark then everyone involved should've been fired. I'm hoping to see it, probably with the kids in tow, on Sunday or Monday.

How old are your kids? There are some elements that kids under the age of 10 might find scary/unsettling. Just wanted to warn you.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
How old are your kids? There are some elements that kids under the age of 10 might find scary/unsettling. Just wanted to warn you.
17 and 10. We've watched the original Total Recall, Robocop, and Punisher: War Zone together so they should fine. :laugh:

My nephew wants to see exploding heads but gets freaked out by jump scares in things. A boy of contrasts, that one.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Well, the thing is there would be a draft order and selections and stuff ... although I guess we could just pick whichever four we want and there would be overlap?

Rory, Tiger, Rahm, Molinari, Koepka, Fleetwood.

If you want to get crazy we can split it up and only be able to choose 2 from each tier of 12 based on odds or something.

If we pick this way, just with overlap and stuff, we should prepare to start with the next major and have a true regular draft that would carry through the rest of the year - we could just use this one for fun and then hereafter it will be DEAD SERIOUS.

Reactions: Young Sandwich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad