OT: 66th Obsequious Banter Thread: Get your kicks in thread 66

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I read somewhere that what happened was someone burped in the locker room and when she looked to see who it was he made that face

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
John Carl Buechler, the father of the Ghoulies (my original avatar) as well as many other classic rubber beasties has passed away from prostate cancer. His movie Troll gave me the worst nightmares of my childhood and that little bastard still pops up every once in a great while in my adult nightmares. Your weird malformed little fetus-looking monsters will always infest my heart. Thanks for the emotional scars, the laughs, and filling those 80's video store shelves with craziness.

Legendary Horror Director and SFX Artist John Carl Buechler Dies at 66

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@Captain Dave Poulin

I'm sure I've evangelized this before, but have you seen the Auralnauts' rework of Star Wars? It's like your GDTs but as movies.

No, I haven't seen those - I will look for them. But here's something that has been nagging at me:

TE Lawrence is underrated these days. Lowkey perhaps the most astonishing and influential 20th century human.

This keeps crawling inside my head and I can't shake it. Could you please make a case for this? There's no chance I am going to agree with you, but I'd like to hear why you say this, because I respect your opinions about things.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

D2MTQADWkAEyVUg.png:large

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No, I haven't seen those - I will look for them. But here's something that has been nagging at me:

This keeps crawling inside my head and I can't shake it. Could you please make a case for this? There's no chance I am going to agree with you, but I'd like to hear why you say this, because I respect your opinions about things.

A lowly research assistant become lowly analyst finding himself revolutionizing the way guerilla wars were fought (The overall strategy is still in use today; we've been fighting it) to collapse an entire huge chunk of empire is astonishing; he came out of nowhere. He adapted to a harsh way of life remarkably well and navigated complex tribal politics and ancient grudges; his role as an outside mediator kept the Arab revolt together. If France hadn't borked the whole thing up and the ME had been partitioned per Lawrence's proposed plan or at least close to it, a LOT of modern problems in the region wouldn't be a thing. It was long assumed that he was exaggerating his accomplishments and role in his book, but then declassification later showed he'd actually downplayed. The modern Middle East isn't a thing without him. I think it's fair to call him the Middle East's Lenin, in terms of being a spark for massive change.

Here is Episode I, it runs through Episode VI:

No shit it handles Anakin's turn to the "dark side" better than Lucas did, as he progressively talks more and more like a lame CEO trying to be hip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad