GDT: #66 | Oilers @ Sabres | "McDavid vs. Eichel VI" | Mar 4 | 5:00 PM | SN

Who should the Oilers call up from Bakersfield this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I dreamt about McDavid last night. This is either the first or second time it has happened (that I can recall). That is all.

I hope you didn't dream about him writhing on the ice with an apparent hip injury. I did...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Sorry for going way of topic, but this post was an eye-opener for me. I actually thought that players in the AHL get paid their cap-hit - in the sense that their salary over the length of their contract is equal to their cap-hit multiplied with the length of their contract, just like NHL players. Upon reading the quoted post, I checked CF, and for the first time I spotted the column "Minors Salary". Wow - these guys "only" get something like 70 to 80 grand a season. I wasn't aware of this at all. That's why I said the other day that Rieder would be financially better off to sign in the AHL than go back to Germany if he wasn't offered an NHL contract. That's obviously not true.

I also now understand why so many decent North Americans play in Europe, players like Steve Pinizzotto. I was always wondering why they wouldn't sign in the AHL for $800k a season... :DD That's what I would have done...

And I also now understand why Yamamoto and Puljujarvi aren't happy when they are/where sent down. Their salary drops to less than 10%.

Does anyone know how it works with players like Dominik Bokk, who was drafted last summer and signed an ELC with a minor league salary of $70k per season, but chose to stay in Sweden for this season? Does he get paid from St. Louis at all? I assume not...

Thanks, and again apologies for going off topic.

A player will get their full NHL salary in the minors if they are on a one way deal. But players on their ELC or who are fringe guys tend to be on two-way deals. Where they have one salary in the minors and one in the NHL. Every once in a while a team will sign a guy to a one way deal even if they intend to have them in the minors all season, but it’s not that common.

If they have a signing bonus in their contract they get that amount come July 1 no matter what though.

Not sure for Bokk. I imagine his contract won’t start until next season, but I could be wrong about that. Someone else might be better able to answer that.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Does anyone know how it works with players like Dominik Bokk, who was drafted last summer and signed an ELC with a minor league salary of $70k per season, but chose to stay in Sweden for this season? Does he get paid from St. Louis at all? I assume not...

Each contract is generally unique. In his case, he had the typical ELC signing bonus of $92.5K which would have been paid by St. Louis regardless of his status. His contract had a European assignment clause, so I'm pretty confident he wouldn't receive the minor league portion (70K) from St. Louis as he'd be drawing a salary from his European club (the minor league portion is just for AHL/ECHL). I think players prefer it as they typically draw a better salary from their home clubs than they'd get in the AHL plus it allows they to stay where they are more comfortable.

Last edited:

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I was at the game last time we played these guys. They made a lot of errors as a result of our forecheck. We also capitalized on mistakes.

If we can do the same tonight we will win. Buffalo was still a playoff team then and will likely be more fragile now that their season is more or less over.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
watching this one start to finish, timed it so well that i'll be able to start eating dinner after cooking it right at the puck drop, I's feeling good vibes tonight

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
And Larsson has time, panic attacks with the puck, and gives it to the other team. Man has this guy turned into straight garbo over the last 2 years

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Dumb play he held the puck for so long instead of banking it immediately and he gives himself 2 minutes for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad