GDT: #66 | Oilers @ Sabres | "McDavid vs. Eichel VI" | Mar 4 | 5:00 PM | SN

Who should the Oilers call up from Bakersfield this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
A couple of guys on the call up list can’t be brought up due to cap reasons no?

Any how I’m embarrassed about what we have become but not embarrassed to say let’s go boys! Just run the board......

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Let's not worry about winning every game right now. Let's just win this one tonight and worry about the others as they come.

GOilers!

Reactions: Cypress

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Its like 99.999% over anyway. We're 8 points back with 18 games to play... if Minnesota ****s the bed and plays .386 hockey (ie the senators pace) they'll get 13 points. That's 21 points in 18 games we need. Minimum we'd need .600 points percentage (aka the preds pace).

Problem is we have to leapfrog 3 teams, and at least one of them will maintain a .6 pace, which is 20 points plus whatever we're behind. So essentially we need 20 points plus a minimum of 5 if we luck out and its Colorado that pops off. Which is 25 points in 18 games, or a .777 points percentage... which is the lightnings pace.

Or... to put it another way, we essentially need to go 3-1-2 in three straight runs of games to MAYBE make it. MAYBE.
I understand the math and agree that it is very unlikely but using full season pace on a short sample distorts things. Going 6-4-0 over or 3-7-0 10 games is quite different than playing .600 or .300 hockey over the whole season.

To have a chance the Oilers would probably have to put together another 4 game winning streak and likely go 8-5 over the other 13 games.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
I dreamt about McDavid last night. This is either the first or second time it has happened (that I can recall). That is all.

Reactions: Cloned

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I understand the math and agree that it is very unlikely but using full season pace on a short sample distorts things. Going 6-4-0 over or 3-7-0 10 games is quite different than playing .600 or .300 hockey over the whole season.

To have a chance the Oilers would probably have to put together another 4 game winning streak and likely go 8-5 over the other 13 games.

That's probably still shy unless 2 or more some of thoses losses are in OT/SO. The cutoff seems to be drifting upwards now mores 89-90 points instead of the 86-87 people were talking about awhile ago.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That's probably still shy unless 2 or more some of thoses losses are in OT/SO. The cutoff seems to be drifting upwards now mores 89-90 points instead of the 86-87 people were talking about awhile ago.
This whole sequence started with me pointing out that Minnesota has a very tough schedule going forward. If they play .500 hockey the Oilers are toast.

If the Oilers win tonight they could effectively close the gap on the Avs to 1 point by beating them in their only remaining head to head. Neither is a sure thing by any stretch but it is possible.

I am on record as saying an Oiler playoff berth is very unlikely but there are a few small things that could change that if they fell the Oilers way.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Luke Perry dead.
upload_2019-3-4_11-5-6.jpeg

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Sabres suck. We ruined them twice in the past couple weeks. Hoping you guys pound them tonight.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Draisait-McDavid-Kassian
Lucic-RNH-Chiasson
Rieder-Cave-Currie
Gagner-Brodziak-Rattie

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Sekera-Benning

Koskinen

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Sheary-Rodrigues-Okposo
Wilson-Mittlestadt-Pominville
Girgensons-Larsson-Thompson

Scandella-Ristolainen
Dahlin-Bogosian
Hunwick-Montour

Hutton

GDB 66.0: Looking for Positives (5pm MT, SN1)

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
I believe it's paid on days on the active roster. Someone like Gambardella is probably making ~3.5-4K per day he's called up. When you consider he's making 70Kfor the whole season in the minors, any time up here is obviously a big deal financially. He did get $50K in bonuses in the summer which doesn't factor in.
Sorry for going way of topic, but this post was an eye-opener for me. I actually thought that players in the AHL get paid their cap-hit - in the sense that their salary over the length of their contract is equal to their cap-hit multiplied with the length of their contract, just like NHL players. Upon reading the quoted post, I checked CF, and for the first time I spotted the column "Minors Salary". Wow - these guys "only" get something like 70 to 80 grand a season. I wasn't aware of this at all. That's why I said the other day that Rieder would be financially better off to sign in the AHL than go back to Germany if he wasn't offered an NHL contract. That's obviously not true.

I also now understand why so many decent North Americans play in Europe, players like Steve Pinizzotto. I was always wondering why they wouldn't sign in the AHL for $800k a season... :DD That's what I would have done...

And I also now understand why Yamamoto and Puljujarvi aren't happy when they are/where sent down. Their salary drops to less than 10%.

Does anyone know how it works with players like Dominik Bokk, who was drafted last summer and signed an ELC with a minor league salary of $70k per season, but chose to stay in Sweden for this season? Does he get paid from St. Louis at all? I assume not...

Thanks, and again apologies for going off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad