#66 KINGS @ FLAMES, close but we WIN 3 - 2 in regulation.

KingsKnight

Reset in progress
Nov 12, 2008
CA
americas hat...?

:laugh::laugh:

Never heard that one before, eh...

I assume you've never seen this image before then? It's a classic:
bustedtees.493e41dc-7e13-4131-b342-55da7856.gif

EDIT: or this one?
bustedtees.ae968a33af299aef58dd7e21f8a50733.jpeg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's all he really needs to bring to be worth it, if he provides some goals, that's great.

Agreed. As tenative as Gaborik looks, it's seemingly mostly because of trying to figure out where to be. He even looks like he may be trying too hard. But the burst speed and skill is there, it's only a matter of time--and for the time being, Kopitar and Williams have a ton of space because of it, and it allows Carter-Richards to go nuts too by the trickle-down effect.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Gaborik's still fitting himself in. Took Carter a while to get going for the Kings IIRC.

Yes. Carter didn't score a goal in his first three games. During his fourth game he scored two against Anaheim. Gaborik's fifth game as a King will be against... Anaheim.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Re-watching the game right now. Doughty, early in the third, is at center ice skating toward the Kings zone about to play the puck when he realizes a Calgary player (forget who) is pressing and will blow past him, creating a breakaway. Instead of trying to get fancy he simply snaps it quickly all the way into the Kings zone to the opposite corner. Jones goes out, plays it, and the Kings move back down the ice to the offensive zone. It's a play like that, the subtle ones, that make Drew so special. Any other defenseman would have likely played the body, missed, fallen down, and get their doors blown off, creating at least a breakaway (probably an odd man rush though). Drew simply played with him and dumped the puck halfway down the ice eliminating the rush. Such a pleasure watching him play. You won't find that on a stat line.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Gaborik has looked just as advertised - flashes of speed and skill, tentative, and fairly uninspiring.

The best thing he brings is room for Kopitar and match up issues with the Carter line right now, IMO.

... which is a huge benefit. That line is piling on the points of late.

Oct 5, 2010
San Diego
Gaborik has looked just as advertised - flashes of speed and skill, tentative, and fairly uninspiring.

The best thing he brings is room for Kopitar and match up issues with the Carter line right now, IMO.

Let's not forget he is adjusting to playing on the LW. Also only 4 gp
coming off that collarbone. All in all, I see a lot of potential with that line 1, once the chemistry builds and rust shakes off.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
coming off that collarbone. All in all, I see a lot of potential with that line 1, once the chemistry builds and rust shakes off.

He doesn't have points yet, but there's no denying he's having an impact on the line production itself. Open ice for Kopi and Williams. Gabby has to be accounted for.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Re-watching the game right now. Doughty, early in the third, is at center ice skating toward the Kings zone about to play the puck when he realizes a Calgary player (forget who) is pressing and will blow past him, creating a breakaway. Instead of trying to get fancy he simply snaps it quickly all the way into the Kings zone to the opposite corner. Jones goes out, plays it, and the Kings move back down the ice to the offensive zone. It's a play like that, the subtle ones, that make Drew so special. Any other defenseman would have likely played the body, missed, fallen down, and get their doors blown off, creating at least a breakaway (probably an odd man rush though). Drew simply played with him and dumped the puck halfway down the ice eliminating the rush. Such a pleasure watching him play. You won't find that on a stat line.

Totally agree. He did something similar when one of the power plays was winding down. He took a cross-ice pass that was too close to the blue line and all the support was headed for the middle of the ice. He had to backpeddle a little to catch the pass. Instead of forcing the issue or dumping it, he turned it back around outside the zone. Conceded the clear, but kept possession and avoided a potential shorthanded chance.

Whenever I get a chance to watch a game, I'll see a few of these sorts of plays by Doughty. Initially, I'll think, why didn't he dump it, then when I think about it for another 30 seconds, I'll realize that that was probably the "right" play to make.

I don't care if Gaborik gets a single point if the Kings continue to play this way. He is creating room out there for the other two guys by virtue of being a decoy. He has made some good plays and I'm sure he'll get on the board sooner than later. For being out the past two or three months, he sure is skating well. I guess it helps that it was a collar bone and not a groin. Hopefully he stays healthy and the Kings keep rolling!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't care if Gaborik gets a single point if the Kings continue to play this way. He is creating room out there for the other two guys by virtue of being a decoy. He has made some good plays and I'm sure he'll get on the board sooner than later. For being out the past two or three months, he sure is skating well. I guess it helps that it was a collar bone and not a groin. Hopefully he stays healthy and the Kings keep rolling!

Seriously--he was backing defenders off soooo much last night. Kopi with 12 points in the last 9 games, so he's enjoying the space. The fun thing will be when Kopitar starts wearing double teams again, Gaborik will be wide open for the money.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
8 game win streak.

Kopitar: 9 points
Carter: 7 points
Williams: 6 points
Brown: 6 points
Toffoli: 6 points
Martinez: 5 points
Richards: 4 points
Voynov: 4 points
Muzzin: 4 points
Regehr: 4 points
Doughty: 4 points
Lewis: 3 points

There's that balanced attack we've been waiting for for months!

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
When the Kings were slumping hard, Kopitar and Carter accounted for something like 48% of all King goals. Glad to see everyone contributing and even if a few players haven't, everyone has been active, aggressive, and creating chances.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I thought of that last night too, I think he needs to get hit a little bit just to get his confidence back.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

You're the elf to my buddy.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
8 game win streak.

Kopitar: 9 points
Carter: 7 points
Williams: 6 points
Brown: 6 points
Toffoli: 6 points
Martinez: 5 points
Richards: 4 points
Voynov: 4 points
Muzzin: 4 points
Regehr: 4 points
Doughty: 4 points
Lewis: 3 points

There's that balanced attack we've been waiting for for months!

Regressing to the mean to the rescue.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4