Post-Game Talk: #66| FLYERS at Bruins| Sat., Mar. 7, 2015|

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There are a lot of posters on here that seem to think the blame is never on the 15 or so skaters that are generally a detriment to the team, and think the reason we lose is because the other players that can actually do things, don't do enough. To these people, games seem to hinge on the times when Giroux loses a face off, Voracek misses a breakaway, or Couturier turns the puck over, but ignore the fact that if the rest of the team was better than it was, none of those players would be in that position in a 1 goal game, anyway.

I guess it's hard to blame what you can't see.

You're going to recieve criticism for the play Couturier made regardless of what your last name is. You don't try to stickhandle through multiple players in the neutral zone during an overtime period. It was a low percentage play & it ended up resulting in the game winning goal going the other way.

There's mistakes & than there's brain dead mistakes, Couturier's was more of the latter.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Matt Read has been a 20 goal scorer before this season. Is he just having a terrible season, has he physically started to decline, or is he a guy who is dependant on a playmaker? I mean he has at times played with Simmonds, Schenn, Raffl - are those guys not good enough for him?

Facing insane competition? Well, I would love to see a 2C be able to outplay his competition once in a while.

Here's a thought - why not try Couturier on the 1st line at LW with G and Simmonds/Jake? I *believe* he played some LW in the Q, why not at least try it. I'm just curious to see how much his production would increase while playing with top players consistently. Or, would he just kill the line altogether?

:laugh:

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
You're going to recieve criticism for the play Couturier made regardless of what your last name is. You don't try to stickhandle through multiple players in the neutral zone during an overtime period. It was a low percentage play & it ended up resulting in the game winning goal going the other way.

There's mistakes & than there's brain dead mistakes, Couturier's was more of the latter.

I don't disagree with you in that regard. He shouldn't have tried to do that. I'm speaking about the posters who this is a running theme with.

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
Simmonds cannot make that play that late in the game.
I love Simmer, but he ****ed up.

I don't care if you think it was a borderline call or not. He put himself in a position where a penalty could be called by entangling himself in a scenario where he had coverage...

I think our top guys are facing adversity in the crucial stretch of the season and, unfortunately, they cannot be aided by secondary scoring. We must, at the very least, shore up our top 9 in the offseason.

Ugh, Coots made a poor play, yes. These things happen.
So many haters coming out of the woodwork just to cast criticism from their high chair. He is also 22 years old. I know several good, great, and elite players have established themselves by this age but not all of them.

I appreciate what Coots does bring to the team. I feel with a better player on his line to grant him space, time, or an offloading of some of his duties to another line, will definitely help him take that final step to the 50 pt player we want.

I'll wait for a few more years before saying he is 1 trick pony (D).

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Simmonds cannot make that play that late in the game.
I love Simmer, but he ****ed up.

I don't care if you think it was a borderline call or not. He put himself in a position where a penalty could be called by entangling himself in a scenario where he had coverage...

I think our top guys are facing adversity in the crucial stretch of the season and, unfortunately, they cannot be aided by secondary scoring. We must, at the very least, shore up our top 9 in the offseason.

Ugh, Coots made a poor play, yes. These things happen.
So many haters coming out of the woodwork just to cast criticism from their high chair. He is also 22 years old. I know several good, great, and elite players have established themselves by this age but not all of them.

I appreciate what Coots does bring to the team. I feel with a better player on his line to grant him space, time, or an offloading of some of his duties to another line, will definitely help him take that final step to the 50 pt player we want.

I'll wait for a few more years before saying he is 1 trick pony (D).

In addition, his strengths offensively are all possession-based. Winning puck battles, an active stick, accurate passing, etc. This team in general is full of crappy players incapable of maintaining possession. His one stable partner has been bad this season and the other wing is a revolving door of whatever. Our D, with the exception of two players, is incapable of aiding in offensive play consistently. On a team that can actually maintain possession and produce because of it would better fit his skill-set. We are neither good nor capable of consistently maintained possession.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And of you wanna know why Giroux is struggling at ES, just look at how Berube has him playing. Both him and couturier seem to be in defensive roles compared to the other two lines. Giroux routinely is deep in his own zone playing like a third defenseman instead of a forward, especially starting the rush from his own end, and is often staying closer to the blue line on offense instead of getting deep. It looks like he is being told not to commit himself at the risk of being left vulnerable defensively, and that's something we haven't seen until this season.

Meanwhile the third and fourth lines are appear to be allowed to play as aggressively as they want on offense.

Last edited:

jka*

Great 4th line with Bellamare, Zac Rinaldo and VandeVelde.
Trio plays togheter by match line up?
1-0 to Bruins after 1st period.
1-1 scores where in 2nd period plus little more. Or half match in TV-text.

A quiz.

No Lecavalier in match?

Finally.

Bruins is one great team last 5 season.

Here's a thought - why not try Couturier on the 1st line at LW with G and Simmonds/Jake? I *believe* he played some LW in the Q, why not at least try it. I'm just curious to see how much his production would increase while playing with top players consistently. Or, would he just kill the line altogether?

No this player in next season. Plus Voracek out for one great D-men's or one great 1st center if Lecavalier go to habs or other in nhl. Willing Giroux-Lecavalier/new player-Simmonds next season. 1st line and only one great line in Philly next season. We need better defensive one world class keeper etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
Great 4th line with Bellamare, Zac Rinaldo and VandeVelde.
Trio plays togheter by match line up?
1-0 to Bruins after 1st period.
1-1 scores where in 2nd period plus little more. Or half match in TV-text.

A quiz.

No Lecavalier in match?

Finally.

Bruins is one great team last 5 season.

No this player in next season. Plus Voracek out for one great D-men's or one great 1st center if Lecavalier go to habs or other in nhl. Willing Giroux-Lecavalier/new player-Simmonds next season. 1st line and only one great line in Philly next season. We need better defensive one world class keeper etc.

Either your translator failed you or you are translating too literally from Swedish to English. Either way cheers! :handclap:

jka*

Couturier, Voracek and maybe Lecavalier is out for next season in Flyers. Maybe Lecavalier left in team. Maybe true story. I wills only one good formation and six good defensives. And one world class keeper. 23 or 24 or 25 year roster average.

R3M1N1SC3

Feb 19, 2012
Either your translator failed you or you are translating too literally from Swedish to English. Either way cheers! :handclap:

I believe the translator has indeed failed, LOL!

I think somewhere in there he had Vinny on the second line next year. Nooooo! :laugh:

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
And of you wanna know why Giroux is struggling at ES, just look at how Berube has him playing. Both him and couturier seem to be in defensive roles compared to the other two lines. Giroux routinely is deep in his own zone playing like a third defenseman instead of a forward, especially starting the rush from his own end, and is often staying closer to the blue line on offense instead of getting deep. It looks like he is being told not to commit himself at the risk of being left vulnerable defensively, and that's something we haven't seen until this season.

Meanwhile the third and fourth lines are appear to be allowed to play as aggressively as they want on offense.

Skeptical.

Claude Giroux is prone to long stretches of unproductive (and even counterproductive) play and it doesn't have anything to do with the coach telling him to pursue the Selke. He has a consistency problem, period.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
In addition, his strengths offensively are all possession-based. Winning puck battles, an active stick, accurate passing, etc. This team in general is full of crappy players incapable of maintaining possession. His one stable partner has been bad this season and the other wing is a revolving door of whatever. Our D, with the exception of two players, is incapable of aiding in offensive play consistently. On a team that can actually maintain possession and produce because of it would better fit his skill-set. We are neither good nor capable of consistently maintained possession.

There is an age when it's time to give up on a players judgement but it sure ain't 22 years like Coutsie.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Skeptical.

Claude Giroux is prone to long stretches of unproductive (and even counterproductive) play and it doesn't have anything to do with the coach telling him to pursue the Selke. He has a consistency problem, period.

Giroux has also never played as conservatively on offense as he is now. He and Couturier are our best defensive centers, and Berube is using them that way; coots more so, but Giroux is being used to shut down other teams as well, his competition has been very stiff. Instead of realizing they're also our best offensive centers to boot, he is giving an insane number of prime offensive zone starts to the third and fourth lines. His usage of the bottom six has been mysterious, and his usage of both Giroux and Voracek has been mysterious, and it absolutely holds both players back.

Coaching matters.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I don't give a ******* about how good of a locker room they have or how much they care for each other.

They are simply not good enough. It's frustrating.

I feel bad for Mason. He deserves better.

Last edited:

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
Am I ever glad I worked during the game today. I would have lost it. 14 ****ing seconds. And of all the pieces of trash in the game its gotta be Marchand. Ugg.

I think in the end its best if we dont make the playoffs. We'll just get our hearts broken in <5 games. Us not making playoffs should all but eliminate Berube as our head coach next year. Ive got some faith in Hextall after the deadline.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I don't give a ******* about how good of a locker room they have or how much they care for each other.

They are simply not good enough. It's frustrating.

I feel bad for Mason. He deserves better.

There are four players who are top six forwards. The rest are mediocre at best. Some, like Rinaldo don't belong in the NHL. On defense there are no real top pair players; perhaps a decent second pair and the rest are 5's, 6's and 7's. Behind all of this is an AS goalie who has lost his anchor/coach. This isn't the Oilers but it's closer to that than a PO team. There's a lot of work to be done to turn this gang around. Hextall has his work cut out for him. Philly is a tough town. It can smell the blood of a losing operation. If major moves aren't made this off season, there will be a major attendance drop off for next year. People in town won't drop good money to watch this next year.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
No question he's a pp monster but he is invisible otherwise. He's too seasoned to get off on the top checker argument. He's a non factor 5-5 right now.

I miss primeau

You're either 15 or senile. Primeau disappeared for long stretches as a Flyer, but he's reached borderline folk hero status because of one 20 game stretch. Oh and his performance during that stretch was still below the normal production levels for Giroux in the playoffs.

This board is borderline unreadable lately with all the best posters not caring too much since we've known the seasons done for a while now and all the baiting posts coming out from people you usually don't see much of.

You got that right. There's about a dozen or so posters that only show up to crap on the player of their choice whenever things are bad.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
You're either 15 or senile. Primeau disappeared for long stretches as a Flyer, but he's reached borderline folk hero status because of one 20 game stretch. Oh and his performance during that stretch was still below the normal production levels for Giroux in the playoffs.

You got that right. There's about a dozen or so posters that only show up to crap on the player of their choice whenever things are bad.

Its sad seeing posters turning on G. No surprise to see JXC come out of the wood work to lead the crusade.

Some people are incabable of actual criticism and analysis so resort to blaming the players that are actually making a positive impact

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Its sad seeing posters turning on G. No surprise to see JXC come out of the wood work to lead the crusade.

Some people are incabable of actual criticism and analysis so resort to blaming the players that are actually making a positive impact

and some are just predictable when they come out and start trashing the wrong players. If Giroux did have more goals he would find something else to ***** about him.
I figured he would wait a little while longer tho. Him and that idiot 35NW8ING would always show up together in a thread trashing Lavi or whoever else when the losing started. claimed they didn't know each other but always would show up in the same thread and have the same anti pond hockey avatar.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
and some are just predictable when they come out and start trashing the wrong players. If Giroux did have more goals he would find something else to ***** about him.
I figured he would wait a little while longer tho. Him and that idiot 35NW8ING would always show up together in a thread trashing Lavi or whoever else when the losing started. claimed they didn't know each other but always would show up in the same thread and have the same anti pond hockey avatar.

pretty sure they're the same person. i'd bet money on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad