65th Obsequious Banter Thread: Where everyone gets a passing grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Beef, check out My Neighbor Totoro. My 5 year old loves it. A lot more gentle for kids.

View attachment 178001

It was down to this or Spirited Away and I picked the weirder one.

I'm tempted to run with it and start showing the family the weirdest movies out there. Let's see if they try to ban me from picking movies. Let's see if there's a breaking point.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Miyazaki Films are legendary. I own a lot of anime but he is pure genius. Princess Mononoke is my favourite. Spirited Away was so visually stunning.

Anybody see/like Paprika? It's underrated IMO and a must see for the visuals and concepts.

View attachment 177999
I still don't understand Wtf happened in this movie but it was gorgeous and I love the theme song. I own Tokyo Godfathers and really need to get Millennium Actress because that movie had a brilliant concept to go with the compelling story. It makes me think what real-life versions of the core concept could be done, like interviewing Carrie Fisher about her life during Star Wars while the documentary guys appear as the droids with her Leia.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Spirited Away was my first Ghibli movie. Saw it in theaters. Still my favorite Miyazaki. It might be my favorite movie period.

Tangentially, I want to see Mirai when it comes out on Blu-ray.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I still don't understand Wtf happened in this movie but it was gorgeous and I love the theme song. I own Tokyo Godfathers and really need to get Millennium Actress because that movie had a brilliant concept to go with the compelling story. It makes me think what real-life versions of the core concept could be done, like interviewing Carrie Fisher about her life during Star Wars while the documentary guys appear as the droids with her Leia.

It was definitely a little convoluted. I haven't seen Tokyo Godfathers. I'll look into it.

Reactions: Amorgus

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I’ve read The Passage years ago, and have reread it since. The first book is excellent, as far as horror novels go.
The show on Fox is changing some things up, but it’s still enjoyable.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I come in from my four day weekend and find this in my office. My employees know me all too well.
20190123_083432.jpg

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Anyone have a Nintendo Switch? Thoughts, Concerns, Feedback? Im debating on buying one since I'll be spending a lot of time at home the next year.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
It's a fun console. I use it mostly in handheld mode. But the docking is pretty seamless when you want to play it on a TV. The library might not be the best depending on how much you like the exclusive Nintendo titles. It's getting more third party games though which is a nice thing.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
There's a guy a few years my junior in the office, recent hire, straight from college. There's about a 13 year gap between us. We get to talking about comic books, anime, movies, general pop-culture nerd stuff toward the end of the day because we're both late arrivals and it gets quiet (people start as early as 6:30, leave at 3:00, or arrive as late as 9:30, leave at 6:00).

So yesterday we start at Batman v. Supes contrast to Justice Leauge, and somehow transition to Marvel flicks, and the "I'm the Juggernaut, Bitch!" from X3. He hadn't known it was a youtube video the movie was giving a wink too, he thought the reference came from the movie originally. I searched for a link to the youtube video to share with him. He hasn't seen it yet, but I'm waiting to hear how it blows his mind. I'm just listening to it in the background on headphones at work. Laughing makes this rote stuff called work a lot more enjoyable.
Obvi, NSFW language- https:// www.youtube. com/watch?v= plQIf5fS8xw

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Anyone have a Nintendo Switch? Thoughts, Concerns, Feedback? Im debating on buying one since I'll be spending a lot of time at home the next year.

I'm mostly a PC guy, but I broke down and bought one because the fiancée wanted it. We have a PS4 Pro and that as far as current generation consoles. The PS4 is a media box and the Switch is the one we both use.

As Chinatown said, the library isn't very deep (especially in my areas of interest), but if the games are up your alley, it's a great console for the purposes it was designed. The flagship titles are all enjoyable, but I get zero replayability from the usual Nintendo offerings. Some people don't mind that, some do, etc.

The indie catalog is starting to build up quite a bit and has turned into what I mostly buy now. I would have a lot more if some of the prices weren't so absurd, but that's consoles in general and you can catch eShop sales, etc.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
There's a guy a few years my junior in the office, recent hire, straight from college. There's about a 13 year gap between us. We get to talking about comic books, anime, movies, general pop-culture nerd stuff toward the end of the day because we're both late arrivals and it gets quiet (people start as early as 6:30, leave at 3:00, or arrive as late as 9:30, leave at 6:00).

So yesterday we start at Batman v. Supes contrast to Justice Leauge, and somehow transition to Marvel flicks, and the "I'm the Juggernaut, *****!" from X3. He hadn't known it was a youtube video the movie was giving a wink too, he thought the reference came from the movie originally. I searched for a link to the youtube video to share with him. He hasn't seen it yet, but I'm waiting to hear how it blows his mind. I'm just listening to it in the background on headphones at work. Laughing makes this rote stuff called work a lot more enjoyable.
Obvi, NSFW language- https:// www.youtube. com/watch?v= plQIf5fS8xw
My prize employee is a giant geek too and I will bawl like a child if he leaves the office before I do. He's a decade younger as well but has still played a ton of the same games I have. He brought a SNES Mini in for our break room. He's the one that got me the mega Twix too. I love my little tea sipping limey dork. :D

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I just found out an old friend who lived a few hours away just died essentially from liver failure. He pretty much drank himself to death. I totally know where his head was at. It sucks to be too intelligent to ignore that the world sucks and hope is lost. And he wasn't even a sports fan like my dumb ass is still trying to be. He had an teaching degree in English but couldn't catch a break because modern kids don't read shit and he wouldn't just pass them along through the system. He worked a string of terrible jobs with amazing and often hilarious stories of insanity. One of the few people who'd watch crazy old B movies with me and actually enjoy them. As I watched Hobgoblins and Neon Maniacs yesterday on Amazon Prime, little did I know it'd be an unintended final tribute.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad