65th Obsequious Banter Thread: Where everyone gets a passing grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Did you have to walk up hill to school both ways, too?
80s kid. Agree about snow at Thanksgiving, def by end of december/new year.

I walked uphill both ways in the snow during my time at college. Downhill from housing off campus, then uphill at the edge of town and campus. The reverse when going home. Down to the dividing street, and uphill home. A few times, there was snow by Halloween.
Penn State Proud

Last edited:
Reactions: gertbfrobe16

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
WAIT

HOLD ON

WAIT

IF BIRDS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE GOVERNMENT THEN THAT MEANS THAT LIZARDS CREATED BIRDS

SO THEN WHAT CREATED THE LIZARDS?!?

OH **** THIS ONE GOES DEEP

a0c.gif

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I remember an ice storm when I was a kid ...the ice on the street was at least 2-3 inches thick. We ice skated on the streets throughout the neighborhood. Fun stuff...
I never even knew ice storms existed until we got hit by a major one in 1991. We had no power for two weeks and had to stay with my mom's brand new boyfriend. Very awkward time. Somehow he still ended up marrying her despite her two terrible boys.

It seriously looked like Elsa zapped the entire county. Even though it did a lot of damage and caused a lot of inconvenience it was one of the most amazing and beautiful things I've ever seen.

I actually think I posted about this before and linked pics from the newspaper.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
In more terrible news, it didn't even take a storm for this horrible accident to happen. Some guy driving a tractor trailer had a stroke or something at the wheel, drove off the expressway down the embankment and totally destroyed a 30 year old guy working on a sewer. Since my friend works in the county facilities department he had a the gruesome details. Apparently a work friend of ours was in a car with his family and that same truck missed him by about a foot and they saw this other poor guy get gibbed. It happened so fast the poor guy didn't have any way to dodge it since he was exposed from the waist up. His on-site coworker was not in the hole and was able to dodge but he is going to need some major grief counseling.

Troopers identify victims in 'tragic' crash on Hudson Avenue

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
If any of you go to PSU or live nearby, I encourage you to check out a wrestling dual. In the last few years, their program has put together some of the most dominant teams in college sports history. Their arena is always packed and engaged, so it’d be a fun event even if you’re not interested in wrestling or new to the sport.

In 2017, PSU had 5 individual champions out of 10 weight classes. 4 of those wrestlers repeated and 1 of the former champions finished as the runner-up in 2018. This season, they 4/5 returning to attempt another individual championship. 9/10 wrestlers have a reasonable shot at All-American status—top 8 finish at NCAAs. If another wrestler returns this month to meet the eligibility requirement, they will have 10/10 weight classes with decent chances at All-American finishes. The program has become a factory for producing world-class talent.

Also notable, the 2019 NCAA wrestling champship tourney will be at PPG Arena in mid-March, over a span of 3 days. Each weight class has a bracket of 33 wrestlers with a double elimination format. So, a competitor can have 2-9 matches depending on seeding and performance. It’s one of the most grueling tournaments in sports.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Huh, that's just crazy enough to make sense! :skeptic:

Are they really ****ting on my car or is that some kind of advanced communication device? :huh:
Those are nano-bots that merely look like poop. They actually transmit your location and also pick up vibrations in your car, so they can hear what's said inside.

Reactions: Defect

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
IMAGINE BEING IN 2019 AND STILL BELIEVING BIRDS ARE REAL

WAKE UP PEOPLE

You know what I actually realized when watching this video?

I have a strong positive association with the Russian National Anthem because of Call of Duty 4. :laugh:

Every single time I hear it, I immediately think of that game. I was playing that game and hearing it before I even knew what the song was... I thought it was just from the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jray42 and BigToe

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
You know what I actually realized when watching this video?

I have a strong positive association with the Russian National Anthem because of Call of Duty 4. :laugh:

Every single time I hear it, I immediately think of that game. I was playing that game and hearing it before I even knew what the song was... I thought it was just from the game.
Haha I remember shouting the victory belongs to Germany playing waw without knowing what it really meant.

Reactions: Striiker

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Those are nano-bots that merely look like poop. They actually transmit your location and also pick up vibrations in your car, so they can hear what's said inside.

Those sneaky bastards!! Well, the jokes on them. All they'll hear in our cars is us poorly singing NKOTB songs. Am right??

Reactions: Striiker

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
If any of you go to PSU or live nearby, I encourage you to check out a wrestling dual. In the last few years, their program has put together some of the most dominant teams in college sports history. Their arena is always packed and engaged, so it’d be a fun event even if you’re not interested in wrestling or new to the sport.

In 2017, PSU had 5 individual champions out of 10 weight classes. 4 of those wrestlers repeated and 1 of the former champions finished as the runner-up in 2018. This season, they 4/5 returning to attempt another individual championship. 9/10 wrestlers have a reasonable shot at All-American status—top 8 finish at NCAAs. If another wrestler returns this month to meet the eligibility requirement, they will have 10/10 weight classes with decent chances at All-American finishes. The program has become a factory for producing world-class talent.

Also notable, the 2019 NCAA wrestling champship tourney will be at PPG Arena in mid-March, over a span of 3 days. Each weight class has a bracket of 33 wrestlers with a double elimination format. So, a competitor can have 2-9 matches depending on seeding and performance. It’s one of the most grueling tournaments in sports.
Speak truth to power, all hail Cael Sanderson.

PSU wrestling is approaching a status near to UConn WBB, UCLA BB, the sized myth of Bama cfb. The last 7 of 8 team championships have called Happy Valley home. These guys are ridiculously good, and PSU preaches a score points mentality, so the action will often be high. (Some teams get a lead, then basically stall to time to garner a win, PSU non-stop works for a pin, or technical fall (you scored too many points and the refs just call the match).)

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Speak truth to power, all hail Cael Sanderson.

PSU wrestling is approaching a status near to UConn WBB, UCLA BB, the sized myth of Bama cfb. The last 7 of 8 team championships have called Happy Valley home. These guys are ridiculously good, and PSU preaches a score points mentality, so the action will often be high. (Some teams get a lead, then basically stall to time to garner a win, PSU non-stop works for a pin, or technical fall (you scored too many points and the refs just call the match).)

Makes the wrestling really fun to watch; no one likes to watch the tie-ups. It's also an approach that translates well to the highest level. David Taylor mostly bulldozed his competition at the UWW tournament for his 1st gold.

I'll be interested to see how many PSU guys will make Team USA for Tokyo. I think Retherford will be on the team. Nolf has a shot if he can drop to 154. And Nickal might make it if he bumps up to 202.5. Overall, there might be a handful of PA/NJ guys on the team: S. Lee 125, Retherford 143, Nolf 154, Burroughs 163, Taylor 189, and Nickal 202.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
We watched Spirited Away today. I'd always seen people raving about it and it's supposed to be a kid's movie and it is linked to Disney somehow so I figured it was safe for the child.

Then this happened

3QcA.gif

I thought the AC dying in Brave Little Toaster was rough for kids but this is some true next-level stuff here.

I loved it.
I was very proud of my low budget No Face costume I made years ago with the inner frame made of cut up wooden moulding, a coat hanee, and duct tape so it would sit on my shoulders and I could see out the mouth. Haven't had a reason to make a costume in so long and I'm too chubby to be anything but Uncle Fester nowadays. I miss it so much.

Spirited Away has one of my favorite film scores of all time. I live Joe Hisaishi's work as much as Danny Elfman and John Williams, so much that I'll even listen to his work from movies I never saw.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was very proud of my low budget No Face costume I made years ago with the inner frame made of cut up wooden moulding, a coat hanee, and duct tape so it would sit on my shoulders and I could see out the mouth. Haven't had a reason to make a costume in so long and I'm too chubby to be anything but Uncle Fester nowadays. I miss it so much.

Spirited Away has one of my favorite film scores of all time. I live Joe Hisaishi's work as much as Danny Elfman and John Williams, so much that I'll even listen to his work from movies I never saw.

It's brilliantly animated too. So much meticulous attention to detail. But it sure is a mind-f*** galore. I bet Terry Gilliam watched it and wondered why he didn't make it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad