Post-Game Talk: #65: Lightning at Flyers, Monday, March 7, 2016, 7:00 pm ET

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
That is a GIANT risk. If you do 7-8, you gotta bring the money down, Ghost will never sign it.

You can't sign a kid that has played for 1 year for an 8 year big money deal.

I think Hextall might do a longer-ish deal or just work out RFA deals.

I think they try to get him signed to something like Klingberg. 7 years @4.25M

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Then why are we worried about Cousins being sent to the AHL? Just bench Weal and Gagner when Weal & Voracek are healthy.

I don't know who is worried but I think some are looking at the 18 players activated for each game (12 forwards, normally) and Laughton being a possible scratch. However, the 23-man roster is no longer utilized after the NHL trade deadline has passed and as such, at this point of the season, the Flyers can exceed 23-men.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I love reading the prospects board. You can not say anything negative about a Leafs prospect or you will have 30 leaf fans jumping down your throat.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
??

I get they are winning right now but you can't seriously be ok with how the Bellemare line has looked this year can you?

Hakstol uses the Bellemare line to drive possession and wear down the other D. They were very good tonight. Gagner will come out as soon as Jake is back.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Whenever we need something big to happen and G is on the ice with Ghost, you can practically feel them trying to will a goal into being through the TV/monitor. Can only imagine what that's like to see in person.

I was at a game 2 years ago I think Nov 12 vs the Oilers. Giroux was having his worst stretch of his career, the team was in a bad spot. I saw him coming down the ice with the puck, he gets to the oiler blue line and I was already standing by the time he shot the puck into the net. I could feel it coming. I think it was his first goal of the year or something and after that he turned his season around and we fought our way into the playoffs. That time, and when I saw G score the game winner against the Blackhawks in the 2010 SCF are two memories that make my hair stand up just to think about them.

Edit: November 9, 2013 and it was his first of the year. I had the best seats I've ever had, right near the Oilers blue line on the camera side, about 20 rows up from the glass.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I also like how Cousins is bringing the best out of Laughton personality wise. Laughton appears to be more engaged and having more fun now that a spark plug like Cousins is around. He is actually mucking it up after whistles. This is just speculation but I bet they are pretty good buddy's and it's helping Laughton confidence and comfort on and off the ice. I mean did you see the intimate hand holding during Gs bowling game lol

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Only caught the 3rd period at the bar and was gonna rip Gagner for that non-existent effort back-checking on that 2nd goal for TBL, luckily the Flyguys played well enough to hold the lead.

Ghost is a ****in' beast. Good night and good hockey.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
Really liked the 4th line play in this game. Wish they bring that more often. They were like pests, kept the puck in the offensive zone and wore them down. Even had a couple great chances.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
The 100% record persists! Three games attended, three wins! Who wants to fund my continued presence?

We were awesome tonight. Absolutely awesome. Tampa haven't been dominated like that all year, we were on them from the first minute and didn't let up for the entire 60. Such a huge game, such a huge performance. Giroux was a leader of men and Ghost was a hero. My brother is distraught, I'm elated and ever so slightly drunk. What a night.

We fly to Tampa at 7am, I should probably sleep.

Congrats my friend. Even you have defeated my horrible luck of attending games this season.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
they deserved to win tonight....g and g were awesome.

schenn is playing consistently well now, both ends of the ice. clutch tonight.

cant wait to get a rested voracek back too. that will be big. hope its gagner that goes.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just finished the game. Had to start it late on the DVR.

Holy **** was that a fantastic effort and a huge win or what?!

Ghost, G, Schenn were all super studs.

The D was air tight. This was Mannings best NHL game by far too. Gotta give credit when credit is due.

Hak-Line and Coots line were terrific defensively.

This team is going to be in the hunt right up until Game 82. That much im certain.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hakstol uses the Bellemare line to drive possession and wear down the other D. They were very good tonight. Gagner will come out as soon as Jake is back.

White is very replaceable on that line. He was probably our only bad player tonight. On Tampas 1st goal he literally skated past a puck he could have shot on goal to deliver a hit and then 15 seconds later was far too deep in the defensive zone, like he always is, and gave his man had room to set up the goal.

Replace Raffl with Voracek on the Coots line and replace White with Raffl on Hak line.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I also like how Cousins is bringing the best out of Laughton personality wise. Laughton appears to be more engaged and having more fun now that a spark plug like Cousins is around. He is actually mucking it up after whistles. This is just speculation but I bet they are pretty good buddy's and it's helping Laughton confidence and comfort on and off the ice. I mean did you see the intimate hand holding during Gs bowling game lol

Yeah. Laughton hasn't had anybody who he could remotely be partnered with. He's with a guy he works with and who isn't a total bum and it's helped him out.

Really liked the 4th line play in this game. Wish they bring that more often. They were like pests, kept the puck in the offensive zone and wore them down. Even had a couple great chances.

I thought they failed the eyetest pretty much, but for all their flailing, they routinely flailed around in the offensive zone, instead of the defensive zone. That's a net win.

Someone mentioned it was Manning's best game, and I think that's probably true. Sorry Medvedev, but Manning actually did earn a roster spot in the next game for once.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Just realised:

Bellemare got a + tonight that must be in contention for the easiest + in the history of hockey.

On the first Ghost goal his front foot had literally just touched the ice as the puck went in. (Couturier went to bench for him after making pass to Raffl)

Bellmare + for good celebrating basically.

No + for Couturier despite assist!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just realised:

Bellemare got a + tonight that must be in contention for the easiest + in the history of hockey.

On the first Ghost goal his front foot had literally just touched the ice as the puck went in. (Couturier went to bench for him after making pass to Raffl)

Bellmare + for good celebrating basically.

No + for Couturier despite assist!

Ha! The classic "Point without a +"

You dont see that often.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ghost willed that first goal to happen. He was flying and grinding and digging, zipping all over the place to get himself involved. That is desire. That is leadership. That is guts. I ****ing love this kid to death.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Ghost willed that first goal to happen. He was flying and grinding and digging, zipping all over the place to get himself involved. That is desire. That is leadership. That is guts. I ****ing love this kid to death.

I doubt that you could write a character like this into a story without him seeming cheap or overpowered. At seemingly every pitfall where I start to think that the season is done, he comes up with a saving throw and the team rallies around him. He's more than just a great player, he's a wellspring of confidence for this team.

Last edited:

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I doubt that you could write a character like this into a story without him seeming cheap or overpowered. At seemingly every pitfall where I start to think that the season is done, he comes up with a saving throw and the team rallies around him. He's more than just a great player, he's a wellspring of confidence for this team.

It's amazing how the kid that does not even look like a "traditional" hockey player willed the season turn around

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007

I had a friend that played top line d-1 hockey and I was a 4th line scrub. I think without him off the ice, I would not have even been a 4th line scrub.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad