Pre-Game Talk: 64|Revenge of the Fat one| Penguins @ Ducks|3/6/2015|10:00pm EST.|Honda Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguinzilla*

Did I miss something? Is Despres the next Bobby Orr? Seriously, it's getting annoying

He has potential, but he's got the hockey IQ of a turd. It's like his controller gets disconnected once every couple of games. He's a great skater - other than when he randomly falls down.

Offensively he's OK and makes slow decisions. Defensively, he's lost 1/2 the time.

The ONLY thing he has going for him, which is the ONLY thing we miss, is that he's big and strong and hits. Yes, we need that and the trades sucked, but, Jesus, he's not Scott Niedermayer out there.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
Did I miss something? Is Despres the next Bobby Orr? Seriously, it's getting annoying

He has potential, but he's got the hockey IQ of a turd. It's like his controller gets disconnected once every couple of games. He's a great skater - other than when he randomly falls down.

Offensively he's OK and makes slow decisions. Defensively, he's lost 1/2 the time.

The ONLY thing he has going for him, which is the ONLY thing we miss, is that he's big and strong and hits. Yes, we need that and the trades sucked, but, Jesus, he's not Scott Niedermayer out there.

:handclap:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
When people say that Despres has a low hockey IQ is it because they actually believe it or because our media has engrained it into their heads?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think many people know what hockey iq is. For instance... Letang supposedly watches more film than anyone. He's probably very smart and has a great hockey iq. But in games, he's an idiot because his risk assessment does not match up with his iq. He takes riskier plays because he's skilled enough to do so. And nobody benches him when it costs us.

Despres was the same way. Aggressive as hell. So he took more risky plays such as stepping up when you shouldn't. His pinches were awesome for keeping pucks alive in the o zone, but sometimes he didn't have support. The coaches probably told him to play conservative but that isn't his strength.

Nonetheless people throw hockey iq around because it's a buzz word. Most have no clue if the player does or doesn't have a great hockey iq.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Letang doesn't get benched because he's liable to win a Norris trophy, hockey IQ or no hockey IQ.

Ignoring Despres just to make a general point, players that contribute a lot of offense will always, always get more wiggle room than players who don't for the same reason they make more money than, for example, a guy like Nick Spaling who will never, ever burn you on an unnecessary risk.

Offense is rare and valuable. If you bench risky Malkin/Letang to double-shift safe Spaling/Lovejoy every time the former group turns the puck over, you're just cutting off your nose to spite your own face.

If they didn't produce, it would be a different story. But they do.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The new jersey being tossed on the ice thing for tonight...they should throw sandwiches over the glass onto the ice for Despres. Too bad it's not in Pittsburgh or the fans would. :P

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Despres aka fatty

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

This is a great rebuttal to all of the people on here who never compared Despres to Orr and Niedermayer. Are you a pro scout?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Best possible outcome for this game:

Despres gets the Gordie, gives Adams a concussion during the fight, from which he sits the rest of the year and retires over the summer. Reverend goes -3, Mario gets grumpy up in his luxury suite, spills his wine everywhere. Errey tries to cover it up with a stupid comment about "passion for the game", Steigerwald makes inappropriate "passion of Christ" comment. :thumbu:

The winning and losing part is immaterial for this one. We'll still make the playoffs either way and still lose in the 1st or 2nd round.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens know Lovejoy on and off the ice. They know Despres on and off the ice, they prefer Lovejoy. We don't know all the facts and considerations behind moves but clearly once Lovejoy became available, the Pens made the deal.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Pens know Lovejoy on and off the ice. They know Despres on and off the ice, they prefer Lovejoy. We don't know all the facts and considerations behind moves but clearly once Lovejoy became available, the Pens made the deal.

We know it was a stupid trade. That's all I need to know.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Meh...I'm not going to root for all of this Despres-mination type stuff simply out of spite. I would go for it if I felt that it might start to shine a light on the much-discussed player development issues for team management.

Regardless of what Despres does tonight however, the chances of that happening are somewhere south of the chances that Anaheim sits Perry to herald the return of George Parros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad