Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
vjBtxJM.jpg

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Sanheim will be up when Hextall thinks he's ready.

Like October 2017? Can't have it both ways.

When someone is anointed a "Hakstol favorite" by this board they seem to have a new address the following season.
  • MacDonald on his 3rd straight year with no end in sight.
  • Bellemare re-signed and given a big raise.
  • Manning re-signed for 2 years and in the NHL for the 3rd straight year.
  • Weise still has term left.
VdV was allowed to walk. That's one. I was completely wrong on that one and am more than happy to own up to it. Hopefully Filppula is as well and Lehtera is fired into the sun. Hagg's coming back.

That will make a potential two or three out of 8 going into Year 4.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What's even more baffling is this insinuation that Hextall would tell Hakstol who to use and how to coach. Why bother at that point? Just be coach and GM.

If this is whats actually going on, then Hakstol is even more of a lame duck than i thought he was.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What's even more baffling is this insinuation that Hextall would tell Hakstol who to use and how to coach. Why bother at that point? Just be coach and GM.

If this is whats actually going on, then Hakstol is even more of a lame duck than i thought he was.

So which of the contradicting lies is it...?

Is Hakstol deserving of credit for the winning?
or
Is Hakstol just a puppet coach?

:laugh:

(obviously both are actually incorrect)

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
So overreaction city I see, go 10-0-2 "luck," lose 1, oh my God the coach sucks, Manning is dragging the entire team down . . .

Mrazek let an easy shot go through him and missed on a long unscreened shot. Gee, we've seen this one before.
The 1st line was meh. Nice play for Konecny's goal but otherwise "crickets."
Lindblom and Patrick were the best players on the ice for the Flyers, Voracek had his head up his butt.
Leier, Lehtera, who cares? Weise. We know they all suck.
Raffl wants to be free of Laughton. That line was no better.
Manning had better CF% than Provorov.

Carolina was desperate, Flyers were flat, it happens.

And no, bringing up Sanheim will not get this team into the second round unless he stands on his head.
Hextall is not going to panic, he wants them in the playoffs because he likes winning, but he has no illusions about this team or these players - and come summer a half dozen are gone, like last summer.

"You can't hurry love, you just got to wait . . ."
"The waiting is the hardest thing . . ."

newsflash dead, this team was beating bad teams and they got away with it plus they were barely beating bad teams, they werent blowing them out like they were better than them especially against a montreal team with an ahl goalie and they couldnt score one goal, that tells alot of what this team is, they are not cup contenders, they are a borderline playoff team. there's too many flaws with this team.

i dont buy into records, i buy into how this team plays, hakstol is not right coach, he's style of play is a failure, i dont care about what anyone says unless they win a stanley cup, hakstol is not the right coach end of story.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So which of the contradicting lies is it...?

Is Hakstol deserving of credit for the winning?
or
Is Hakstol just a puppet coach?

:laugh:

(obviously both are actually incorrect)

Right. You don't get to say that Hextall is the one running the team and making all the decisions and steering the ship, and then say that the first mate deserves all the credit because he stands there.

Reactions: Striiker

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Yeah, i think people tend to underestimate how top heavy this team is.
I've acknowledged this for months now, just not necessarily on here, and I think most Flyers fans on here do recognize this as well. It's just a stubborn select few who keep shouting, "We're winning, don't mess with anything!"

Even that "Flyers darkhorse Cup contender" thread on the main board last week (which, per usual, I'm pretty sure wasn't even started by a Flyers fan) was 50% Flyers fans saying "lol no we're not." I even remarked that I'm not gonna be comfortable until the X appears next to "Philadelphia" in the standings, haha.

Imagine if G and Jake were still just putting up 55-60 point years, like many thought would be the norm for them from now on, and Coots/TK weren't producing like they are. It's a scary thought.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
They were completely out of sync the entire game. It was a $1 pretzel night at the WFC, I suspect that the entire team had loaded on them before the game.
I can single out only one player that did not play poorly last night- Alex Lyon. His swing gate motion was top notch.

Actually they had a problem with the gate at one point. They pointed it out on the broadcast. So I guess even Lyon f***ed up haha

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
Sorry if this has already been posted.

I enjoy reading ESPN.com's written previews and recaps of hockey games. They are more often than not poorly summarized with beyond horrible grammar. Let us not forget, many times they are just flat out wrong with their analysis of the games and the simple facts of what happened.

Case in point (taken from the Flyers/Canes recap analysis):
"It's tough to do this on home ice. We can't win them all," Flyers center Jake Voracek said."

Voracek plays center. Get a life Benny.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
I've acknowledged this for months now, just not necessarily on here, and I think most Flyers fans on here do recognize this as well. It's just a stubborn select few who keep shouting, "We're winning, don't mess with anything!"

Even that "Flyers darkhorse Cup contender" thread on the main board last week (which, per usual, I'm pretty sure wasn't even started by a Flyers fan) was 50% Flyers fans saying "lol no we're not." I even remarked that I'm not gonna be comfortable until the X appears next to "Philadelphia" in the standings, haha.

Imagine if G and Jake were still just putting up 55-60 point years, like many thought would be the norm for them from now on, and Coots/TK weren't producing like they are. It's a scary thought.

Who REALLY cares about this year, though?
What's scary is how good we're going to be with G/V still in early 30s, hopefully producing at 60pt pace or hell even better, with the upcoming supporting cast and goaltenders to boot. You want to talk about scary? Let us gaze into our crystal ball and visualize how scary the Flyers are going to be in the upcoming seasons. Next year we will see more improvement, as we are seeing this year.

Our defense is [hopefully] going to become an extremely difficult group to play against in all situations. The defense is going to grow and mature together, all at once, with a few (Ghost/ProV) leading the way. We are in for a real treat for the first time I have been a fan (roughly 20 years).

Obviously you know this, but I'm not scared of a bust of a season if that were the case. I do enjoy our recent run and always hope for our guys to be victorious, but let us not get ahead of ourselves. The Flyers are not that good yet, but slightly better or just about mediocre. A little luck and a hot hand could have us sitting pretty and experiencing a fun playoffs.

Honestly, with the full time additions to the roster, I am genuinely curious how Hakstol plans on utilizing our young guys. Let us not speculate. Our roster is not complete and he is not using the roster Hextall hired him for. 2 more years. Let us see what happens then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad