Post-Game Talk: #64 | Hurricanes 4 at FLYERS 1 | Thu., Mar. 1, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
in the end, our defense could use a PMD....actually 2. And we have a PPG AHL Dman who is ready.

And only an idiot would say that Hextall didn't think he was ready....when he left him on the roster for 3.5 months including 25 days where he only played 6 minutes. He obviously was hoping/expecting Hak to put him back into the lineup. Yet only 1 person comes up with the excuse that another D had a nagging injury for a month, and that was the reason he was not demoted earlier....lol.

Hextall wants Sanheim in the NHL. But he also wants him to play. And if Hak isn't going to do that, he is going to keep him in LV.

Unfortunately with Alt getting claimed unexpectedly, that does change things. For Sanheim to be re-called, it would have to be Hagg or AMac demoted as 1 is waiver exempt, and the other won't get claimed due to contract. And you know Hakstol won't want that to happen.

This should have have been a year where all of Hagg, Sanheim and Morin got 50-60 games RESULTS BE DAMNED. Sad that the reason this didn't happen is because the coach prefers Manning and AMac instead.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's not a "fact," that's an unsubstantiated opinion.
Hextall is conservative about player development, he sent Laughton down (#20 pick) last year to work on his defensive game.
And it wasn't like we were rolling out a talented bottom six last season.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Unfortunately with Alt getting claimed unexpectedly, that does change things. For Sanheim to be re-called, it would have to be Hagg or AMac demoted as 1 is waiver exempt, and the other won't get claimed due to contract. And you know Hakstol won't want that to happen.
They can't use this excuse because their is no roster limit after the trade deadline.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Yeah, Hextall is so conservative he rather sees a young promising Dman rot in the pressbox for a month than any other solution. Mind = blown

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A month? I thought it was 8 games.

And Ghost was hurt during that stretch, he missed one game but they might have wanted to wait, since Sanheim was the obvious replacement if he was out longer. How often does a "minor" knee injury turn out to be more serious when the swelling goes down?

'Ghost' injury not serious; Flyers host Isles - Philly

And they probably wanted to keep working with Sanheim in case he had to play for an extended period.

“I’ve been working hard the past few weeks up there with their coaching staff,” Sanheim said. “Even practicing here the last few days I feel like I’m right back into it. Maybe the first period to shake off the rust, but I should be good from there.”

Back with Lehigh Valley Phantoms, Travis Sanheim knows he's 'got to be better'

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Did anyone understand what Referee Tom Kowal was doing here?

giphy.gif

Rule 15.1 states:

"Should an infraction of the rules which would call for a minor, major, misconduct, game misconduct or match penalty be committed by a player of the team not in control of the puck, the Referee shall raise his arm to signal the delayed calling of a penalty. When the team to be penalized gains control of the puck, the Referee will blow his whistle to stop play and impose the penalty on the offending player."

Delayed penalty, Kucherov is without a stick, Mrazek is pulled and the Flyers are buzzing.

Ghost shoots and Vasilevskiy saves, but doesn't control the puck. Stralman touches the puck (maybe), but doesn't control. Ghost shoots again and the puck deflects off of Point's stick, but he never controls it.

Kowal, stops play when the puck is free behind the Lightening net with Flip closest to it.

Ghost protests the stoppage, but to no avail. A great situation for the Flyers (four skaters versus two with sticks, one without) turns into a less great situation (four skaters versus three with sticks) because Kowal either didn't understand the delayed penalty rule, or made a mistake in applying it.

In a League that's trying to encourage scoring, why are refs so whistle happy in situations around the goal?

This will conclude my rant of the day.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Did anyone understand what Referee Tom Kowal was doing here?

giphy.gif

Rule 15.1 states:

"Should an infraction of the rules which would call for a minor, major, misconduct, game misconduct or match penalty be committed by a player of the team not in control of the puck, the Referee shall raise his arm to signal the delayed calling of a penalty. When the team to be penalized gains control of the puck, the Referee will blow his whistle to stop play and impose the penalty on the offending player."

Delayed penalty, Kucherov is without a stick, Mrazek is pulled and the Flyers are buzzing.

Ghost shoots and Vasilevskiy saves, but doesn't control the puck. Stralman touches the puck (maybe), but doesn't control. Ghost shoots again and the puck deflects off of Point's stick, but he never controls it.

Kowal, stops play when the puck is free behind the Lightening net with Flip closest to it.

Ghost protests the stoppage, but to no avail. A great situation for the Flyers (four skaters versus two with sticks, one without) turns into a less great situation (four skaters versus three with sticks) because Kowal either didn't understand the delayed penalty rule, or made a mistake in applying it.

In a League that's trying to encourage scoring, why are refs so whistle happy in situations around the goal?

This will conclude my rant of the day.

What he was doing was sucking at his job, like most of his peers.

Reactions: Foggy14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad