Post-Game Talk: #64: FLYERS at Blue Jackets, Thursday, Feb. 28, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
Honestly, I don't understand why this is such a big controversy to simply play Myers and soon Morin.

I'm not limiting it to this message board but obviously the Flyer organization is hesitant.

Again, I hate to say this but Clarke would have given Myers and Morin a legit shot 2 seasons ago. We should be coming to the crossroads in this rebuild where we're ready to compete but we're still not positive about these two. I don't need to have a database of hockey film and statistics to know this is absurd.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
We’ve got nothing left to lose and literally get in a more favorable position by losing so just put Morin in. It’s now or never for him in terms of development in the NHL.

If they refuse to do that, which they probably will, who gives a shit who sits as long as it’s either Hagg or AMac. Smart thing would be to just rotate them in and out but, really, who gives a shit? They’re both 6th or 7th D at best.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They're probably just being careful with Morin, he's rehabbing an ACL and coming off other dings, and he didn't get to play a lot in the AHL due to the rebab rules. So let him practice for a week or two, get his legs back, then ease him in.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I’m ok with them going slow with Morin. But they absolutely need to see him in the NHL for at least 5 games this season. They have to carry him next year or lose him so it’s a big decision

One that could’ve easily been avoided or minimized if they were open to playing him in the past, even with the injuries. I definitely agree though.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
If I were a Columbus fan, I’d be horrified that they’re going all in this year and they look so unimpressive. They likely to lose a ton this offseason and don’t even have picks left.

RIP

As far as the Flyers go, same as always. Good players are good, bad players are bad, our coaches are ****ing idiots. We really need to lose more to get this draft pick back where we want it. Playoffs aren’t happening, so at least get something out of this season.

I dislike Columbus a lot (within the last few years anyway). I hope that team epically implodes in the playoffs and afterwards.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
One rocket is taking off, another is falling to earth.

If the rocket falling to earth is, at a particular moment in time, higher than the rocket that has just taken off do you say that it's the rocket you'd want to ride?

Myers had some struggles last night, especially in the second period.

So what?

It's not the individual data points that matter, it's the trend line!

From what we've seen at the AHL level, and now, in a small sample at the NHL level, Myers' trend line is looking very promising.

Given the Flyers current position in the standings there is little reason to delay Myers development by favoring a veteran whose play is quickly falling to earth.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
One rocket is taking off, another is falling to earth.

If the rocket falling to earth is, at a particular moment in time, higher than the rocket that has just taken off do you say that it's the rocket you'd want to ride?

Myers had some struggles last night, especially in the second period.

So what?

It's not the individual data points that matter, it's the trend line!

From what we've seen at the AHL level, and now, in a small sample at the NHL level, Myers' trend line is looking very promising.

Given the Flyers current position in the standings there is little reason to delay Myers development by favoring a veteran whose play is quickly falling to earth.
Myers and Sanheim make my rocket take off

AMac and Hagg make my rocket fall to earth

Reactions: Foggy14

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
This place is not supposed to be a constant source of frustration like some people allow it to be. It's so much better when blatant trolls are put on ignore.

Yep, I should have done it a while ago. This team is frustrating enough without adding message board trolls :laugh:

Reactions: Rebels57

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
It's also ironic that I absolutely despised essay writing in school, yet I subject myself to daily essay posts. f*** me.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall should have let him play when Berube wanted to play him.

When I think back to how Berube treated a much better and much more mature young player in Couturier that year, I'm glad he got nowhere near a 19 year old Morin.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
When I think back to how Berube treated a much better and much more mature young player in Couturier that year, I'm glad he got nowhere near a 19 year old Morin.

Probably true, but it is a failure on the part of this team that the guy has lived in the AHL for years.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

IDK I think Berube understands the defensive and physical parts of the game. He gets Morin. I don't think he understands how to develop young offensive players. What's the worst thing that would have happened? Berube would have stunted Morin's development, gave him little playing time and the Flyers would get no value out of him for years? hmmm

Since Lavy the Flyers have essentially had no one around the team in an official capacity (or in the minors) who actually knew anything about how to score a point in the NHL except Mullen.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You act like a coach treating a young player badly has never led to management shipping them out for scraps before.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Some posters are looking for veteran leadership on the back end. Gudas has six plus seasons in the league. IMO he has shown leadership this season. Except for his except for his pairing with Hagg, he usually does well with the partner with whom he is paired. Sanheim and Gudas were probably the best pairing on the i.e. for the Flyers this season when they played together. Ghost is no raw rookie. He has four seasons under his belt now. At this point in a career one would expect him to be able to be a "leader" in a pairing with a rookie. I don't see that happening.
This is where the dysfunction on defense occurs. There are good defensemen on the roster. However they just don't fit together skills wise in pairings. Time in the league doesn't have as much to do with it as some think.

I don't want a Veteran dman for leadership. I want a top pairing d-man for his talents which would slot the other young d-men into better roles and usage.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Which players do you think are available that could play with Provorov on the top pair and what would it cost?
Trouba, Ellis, Tyler Myers, Pietrangelo, T J Brodie and Spurgeon look like possibilities. Guys like Doughty, Keith and Seabrooke are there as well but their age and their contracts would concern me.
Trading partners would probably want one of Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, or Ghost plus coming back. At that point, I'd walk away. Depending on who it was in return, I could possibly handle Ghost or Gudas but then I wouldn't be for adding anything like Konecny, Frost, Farabee or JOB to the mix.
Hextall probably had it right in that the organization is just going to have to go with what they have and wait for the young guys to grow their games. There will be some bad night but in time it will pay off. If Provorov can find last season's game again; Sanheim continue to improve; Myers do what he's doing now and growing his game through experience; Gudas continuing what he's done this season; Morin and Ghost fill things in as needed; the Flyers are set pretty well. We might just have to let things happen in a natural course.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Trading a young cheap top pair defensemen (Ghost) for a different top pair defensemen... ?

What a smart idea.

This fanbase is depressing sometimes. Really just can't appreciate their star players.

Reactions: DaphneLion

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
They don't need to add a vet defensemen. They just need a coach who has a brain and uses players properly.

Obv we need a real coach but if you have this pool of young defensemen, but your leadership on the blue line is Andrew MacDonald what do you think will happen?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Obv we need a real coach but if you have this pool of young defensemen, but your leadership on the blue line is Andrew MacDonald what do you think will happen?
1) MacDonald being bad on the ice doesn't make him a bad leader
2) leadership/intangibles are seriously overrated
3) the young guys have already proven to be perfectly capable, so there's no problem here
4) both Gudas and Ghost are vets and Provorov doesn't play or act like a kid either
5) who says leadership has to come from players of the same position?

There's simply no reason to add a vet. We don't need one.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
1) MacDonald being bad on the ice doesn't make him a bad leader
2) leadership/intangibles are seriously overrated
3) the young guys have already proven to be perfectly capable, so there's no problem here
4) both Gudas and Ghost are vets and Provorov doesn't play or act like a kid either
5) who says leadership has to come from players of the same position?

There's simply no reason to add a vet. We don't need one.

I'm with you. Ghost will be going into his fifth year, Provorov his fourth and Gudas is definitely a veteran. Adding a good player is fine, but we should not go after a Bouwmeester or Stralman just because they're experienced. Same goes for the center position IMO.

Reactions: Tripod and renberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad