Prospect Info: 63rd overall — C Dominic Turgeon

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
http://www.redwingscentral.com/2014/06/27/4835/pick-by-pick-red-wings-at-the-nhl-draft-3/

“I put him in a David Legwand (class) of player,” said NHL Network analyst Dave Reid. “He’s got the smarts, he’s got the ability, but he’s not overly talented with the finish. It’s a matter of getting his feet moving. He’s probably suited for that third-line role.”

Added TSN scout Craig Button: “He’s not like his father. He’s more of a big, get-in-your-way type of centerman. He’s not an elite offensive player, but he’s a good, strong player.”

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Sounds more like Joker 2.0. Two way with size and good on the draw. He'll be pushing 6'3 and 220 when he fills completely out.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
So instead of getting old washed up players Holland is getting their relatives. Just playing, I know nothing about this kid. Anything he does especially good? This a boom or bust based on name or more of a safe vanilla pick?

Sounds pretty meh. Hope we can nab a high skilled lottery ticket type player at some point. Come on,Hakan!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So instead of getting old washed up players Holland is getting their relatives. Just playing, I know nothing about this kid. Anything he does especially good? This a boom or bust based on name or more of a safe vanilla pick?

Sounds pretty meh. Hope we can nab a high skilled lottery ticket type player at some point. Come on,Hakan!

He is a development pick. Not overly skilled at this point but has his selling points. Should be a big player and we will see what we can develop in terms of his skating and finish. But this is a good project, you think if one out of three fail, but hey maybe one hits in a major way we have Nasty, Nosek, Janmark and Turgeon now that fit a smart heavy player with some tools to work with.

We wanted the Wings to shore up some of the center depth, that have done a decent job of that, while maybe safe to some, these guys do certain things well. We are getting bigger and faster, now it is on our development system which in my opinion is still elite look at all these kids coming up. Some won't make it, some will be traded, but there is a crush of talent here at play that reminds me of the early 90's we just need to find the elite talents and that is tougher this day. But hey we should be excited about what they are setting up it is on them to finish the job.

I do worry that with Pittsburgh hiring their coach I don't know how good Portland will be. They are an organization that operates in a big way at the CHL level, so he should have good development for the next five years and that is a good thing.

As always what happens after you're drafted is important. Having smart players that work hard and have solid NHL attributes isn't a bad thing.

Much closer talent wise to his uncle than his father though Sylvan was thought to have all world potential it just never materialized.

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
Last edited:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Only players I can remember the Wings trading up to take are Kopecky, Filppula, and Liv. Nice to see them do it again, hope they have similar success.

Point Shot

Keep It Realgud
Feb 12, 2013
Maybe we get lucky and this guy turns out like Li'l Bert and has a ceiling that hasn't been exposed yet.

Otherwise, wow, trading up to get a borderline third-liner who can't even get decent minutes in junior. What's the deal, Kenneth?

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Maybe we get lucky and this guy turns out like Li'l Bert and has a ceiling that hasn't been exposed yet.

Otherwise, wow, trading up to get a borderline third-liner who can't even get decent minutes in junior. What's the deal, Kenneth?

He was a 17 yo playing on one of the most stacked teams in the entire CHL.

DatsyukianDeke*

You have no idea what he will become. I remember people saying Sheahan isn't that good, yet he comes to the NHL and plays amazing.

Why don't we just wait until they develop a little before saying they are a borderline third liner.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
This is not a bad pick. He's a character player with the tools to be really good on offense. He was asked to pay a defensive role last year so as he ages his offensive game will develop. You can't teach size and you can't teach compete level, either you have it or not and he does. You can work on the others.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
This is not a bad pick. He's a character player with the tools to be rally good on offense. He was asked to pay a defensive role last year so as he ages his offensive game will develop. You can't teach size and you can't teach compete level, either you have it or not and he does. You can work on the others.
You either have skill or you don't. Doesn't sound like he has a whole lot. Time will tell though.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
You either have skill or you don't. Doesn't sound like he has a whole lot. Time will tell though.

It seems to me that Babcock is having more of a say now with Nill moving to Dallas. On the one hand this concerns me because that doesn't strike me as being one of Babcock's strengths, however on the other hand if he believes he can win with these guys and he has Blashill preaching the same message from the second they set foot in the AHL there might be a chance for us to become a dangerous playoff team once again.

Babs went to Game 7 of the SCF with the Ducks and I can see many of these guys being a good fit on that Ducks squad. Plus with us being in the East we should be able to stack up better with the Bostons and Columbus' (they gave the Pens all they could handle).

We don't make trades and we are no longer a premier destination for UFAs, so it is going to have to be done via drafting and developing. We've got two very good head coaches in Babs and Blash so let's see how things play out.

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site

That's completely ignorant. Do you honestly think that practice has nothing to do with improvement of skill? Pavel Datsyuk was just born with incredibly good stickhandling ability? It had nothing to do with countless hours of practice?

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
http://www.redwingscentral.com/2014/06/28/4910/wings-trade-up-to-snag-turgeon/

“We had him in our top 30 and we saw it as a chance to get in the third round a first-rounder,†said Red Wings chief amateur scout Jeff Finley. “It was a good opportunity to try and do what we could and move up to make sure we got him.â€

What does it mean when they say he was in their top 30? Is this the draft in general or just the realistic picks available? Either one does not sound good anyways.

A1Portable

Nov 5, 2005
This is not a bad pick. He's a character player with the tools to be really good on offense. He was asked to pay a defensive role last year so as he ages his offensive game will develop. You can't teach size and you can't teach compete level, either you have it or not and he does. You can work on the others.

You also can't teach speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad