Prospect Info: 63rd overall — C Dominic Turgeon

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
You also can't teach speed.

Yeah, at this point he appears to be Joakim Andersson. He got no PP time so his offensive numbers could improve but he's shown very little offensive skill to date. He plays for a good hockey club in Portland so he can fit the DRW system. Whether he can make it to the NHL is another question, but at a bare minimum he can provide some depth and be a regular in Grand Rapids after next year.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
What does it mean when they say he was in their top 30? Is this the draft in general or just the realistic picks available? Either one does not sound good anyways.

They have their own ranking for players they want and he was in their top 30. Why does it sound like a bad thing if they snagged a player they considered a first round pick in the third round?

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
What does it mean when they say he was in their top 30? Is this the draft in general or just the realistic picks available? Either one does not sound good anyways.

I remember Detroit staff saying something similar about Igor Grigorenko. He was an excellent prospect before the car accident.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yeah, at this point he appears to be Joakim Andersson. He got no PP time so his offensive numbers could improve but he's shown very little offensive skill to date. He plays for a good hockey club in Portland so he can fit the DRW system. Whether he can make it to the NHL is another question, but at a bare minimum he can provide some depth and be a regular in Grand Rapids after next year.

too young for that. two years in CHL for him.

might not hurt in this case.

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
If it's true that Detroit had him in their top 30, what do you think they see in him that we don't?

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
They have their own ranking for players they want and he was in their top 30. Why does it sound like a bad thing if they snagged a player they considered a first round pick in the third round?

He does not come across like a first round kind of guy.

If it's true that Detroit had him in their top 30, what do you think they see in him that we don't?

Probably his smarts.

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
Everyone slagging the kid for weak Jr #'s needs to chill ... hes 17 on one of the best major junior teams in Canada. MUCH stronger league than Jr A or NCAA and when your buried behind 18,19,20 established studs your not going to see a ton of chances.

If he has raw untapped potential these next 2 years will tell us whats there -with some of the Hawks big guns graduating hell get his chance to shine.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
http://www.redwingscentral.com/2014/06/28/4910/wings-trade-up-to-snag-turgeon/

“We had him in our top 30 and we saw it as a chance to get in the third round a first-rounder,” said Red Wings chief amateur scout Jeff Finley. “It was a good opportunity to try and do what we could and move up to make sure we got him.”

http://www.extraskater.com/chl/players?sort=points_ev_per60&age=17

Turgeon produced Even Strength points at same rate/60 min as Jared McCann, Nikolay Goldobin and John Quenneville. All guys were late 1st rounders.

Last edited:

Brandel*

he had a couple nice goals in one of the links injuredchoker posted, was a little surprised

edit:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Sounds good.

But the Red Wings — notably Finley and director of amateur scouting Tyler Wright — caught glimpses of offensive skill that might surprise some when Turgeon gets a top-six role with Portland in 2014-15.

“He didn’t get any power-play time last seaosn — and when I say he didn’t get any power-play time, he got zero power-play time,†Finley said. “That’s where a lot of kids pick up a lot of stats at the junior level.

“We’ve seen some things as far as the offensive upside and we hope with a bigger opportunity he’ll be able to show a little bit more than what his numbers werethis year.â€

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
This kid is from my part of the world and I have even skated with him a couple of times. I am very excited that the Wings took him. My gut tells me that we bought low on him and that he is sitting on a big season and will produce much more with more opportunity. He has also been invited to the US WJC evaluation camp this summer FWIW.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
More to this pick than meets the eye?

@RedWingsCentral
If you're an advanced-stats nerd, there's some merit to the #RedWings belief in Turgeon's offensive abilities ...

@RedWingsCentral
Turgeon ranked right there with Dal Colle, McCann, Ritchie and Lemieux in even-strength points-per-60-minutes.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
More to this pick than meets the eye?

@RedWingsCentral
If you're an advanced-stats nerd, there's some merit to the #RedWings belief in Turgeon's offensive abilities ...

@RedWingsCentral
Turgeon ranked right there with Dal Colle, McCann, Ritchie and Lemieux in even-strength points-per-60-minutes.

I already wrote about same thing...

Would be interesting to see his next season, when he should get automatically more PP time. Older teammates will open the spots when they'll join pro leagues.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I already wrote about same thing...

Would be interesting to see his next season, when he should get automatically more PP time. Older teammates will open the spots when they'll join pro leagues.

Sorry I missed it. Interesting stuff, will be interesting to see what #'s he can put up with more opportunities.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Sorry I missed it. Interesting stuff, will be interesting to see what #'s he can put up with more opportunities.
Yeah, absolutely. It's funny that we were all convinced that this was a bad pick (myself included). Now we're starting to see the possibility that it was actually smart scouting, projecting the player into a different role.

I guess that's really the way every Wings draft goes, though.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Courtesy of DraftBuzz:

DOMINIC TURGEON C, 6’2’’ 196 lbs, Portland Winterhawks, WHL
Biggest Strength: Wizard with the puck
Biggest Weakness: Skating needs more quickness
“Pierre’s son, Dominic Turgeon, oddly enough spent the majority of the year behind the curve as a late round flier instead of legitimate prospect with bloodlines. DraftBuzz noticed Turgeon’s skating improved dramatically by the midway point of the season and saw him make strides in other areas of his game as a result. Defensive minded center has elite vision and confidence with the puck. Was used in key situations towards the end of the year. Was a steady presence for his two crash and bang wingers. Can make the ridiculous pass look routine. One of those guys who commands the puck as he’s very capable of leading a rush. As a pure playmaker his shots are weak and almost as if he would prefer to pass. Improving his acceleration is paramount to him taking the next step for Portland. Plays like a cagey veteran blocking shots and taking the body often and hard. In the playoffs it was hard to believe we were looking at a below .5PPG player. DraftBuzz feels comfortable going out a limb and ranking Turgeon in the top 60 as he has the natural ability and character to improve dramatically next year.â€

Turgeon is our highest ranked breakout candidate for next year (15 players ranked 50-120). I feel very strongly about Dominic.

Aug 6, 2012
I was pleasantly surprised by his highlights. He seems to have a good amount of skill but needs to keep progressing. If the Wings traded up for the kid, they definitely think he'll be a player.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Courtesy of DraftBuzz:

Turgeon is our highest ranked breakout candidate for next year (15 players ranked 50-120). I feel very strongly about Dominic.

Who will be the Portland next Head Coach after Mike Johnston joined the Penguins?

How could that coaching change affect to Turgeon's role?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->